Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Cruise Control Won't Set

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM
amandabanana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Won't Set

For some reason, I can't get my cruise control to work. I push the on button and push set and the green light comes on in the dash, but the car slows down and it doesn't set. I don't understand why it won't set, especially since the light comes on like it is set, but it isn't. I recently had to get my power steering fixed and had a remote starter installed, so I'm not sure if having those things done would have messed with the cruise control at all. Has anyone else had this happen?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
Perform diagnostic self test as follows and report results.

Self-Test Diagnostics

WARNING: This test is a key on engine off (KOEO) test only that is conducted in PARK only with the emergency brake fully engaged.

NOTE: On vehicles equipped with a manual transaxle, the clutch pedal needs to be applied in order to correctly carry out the self-test. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle, the transmission selector needs to be in the NEUTRAL (N) position.

NOTE: Review the following steps before carrying out the self-test diagnostic procedure.

NOTE: After entering the diagnostic mode, the module times out if the mandatory switch sequence is not completed within 5 seconds and each button is not pressed within one second of the previous button. If a module time-out occurs (speed control lamp stops flashing part way through the test), the procedure must be re-initiated.

The self-test is comprised of 2 parts. The first part is a static check of the speed control electronics module and system. The second part is a dynamic pull-test to check the actuator motor and gear mechanism. To perform the self-test:

Connect the scan tool to a power source that is not interrupted when the ignition switch changes positions. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, set the scan tool to monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) throttle position PID while the speed control actuator carries out the self-test.
Enter self-test diagnostics by firmly pressing and holding the speed control OFF switch while quickly cycling the ignition switch from RUN-to-OFF-to-RUN, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module has entered the diagnostic mode. Release the OFF switch. If 5 additional flashes are displayed at this point, a speed control subsystem concern exists. GO to Symptom Chart .
NOTE: The module times out if each button is not pressed within one second of the previous button. If a module time out occurs (speed control lamp stops flashing part way through test), the procedure must be re-initiated.

Firmly press and release the remaining switches within one second of each other in the following sequence:
ON
RSM (resume)
CST (coast)
SET/ACCEL
The speed control indicator lamp flashes once after each of the first 4 buttons is successfully pressed. Firmly press and release each switch in the sequence immediately after the light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay from when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes diagnostic codes. If the self-test will not start or cannot be completed after multiple attempts, GO to Symptom Chart .

Follow the list below for diagnostic flash codes, then GO to Symptom Chart .
0 flashes: No flash after the last button pressed: suspect circuitry or speed control switch.
1 flash: Static test passed.
2 flashes: The stoplamp switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or brake pedal is applied; CPP switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or clutch pedal is applied.
3 flashes: The speed control deactivator switch is open or the circuit is damaged.
4 flashes: The vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is damaged.
5 flashes: Speed control actuator internal failure.
NOTE: Monitor the PCM throttle position PID after the last button is pressed.

Within 0.25 second after the static test has passed, the speed control actuator carries out a dynamic pull test automatically by actuating the throttle lever from 1 to 10 mm (0.04 to 0.39 inches) of travel from the idle position for 3 seconds and then releasing the throttle. If the PID value does not change and holds steady for 3 seconds, GO to Symptom Chart . During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable, verify the correct connection of the speed control cable to the throttle lever, and make sure that the throttle returns to the idle position. If incorrect connection and/or binding or sticking of the speed control is observed, GO to Symptom Chart .
Turn the key to OFF and GO to Symptom Chart .
You can overlook the part about the scan tool since you likely don't have one. Focus on getting a valid flash code. repeat procedure several times to be certain.

It is always possible that the recent work resulted in a new problem. However, until you find the new problem, you won't know if it can be traced back to a mistake in the previous work.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Take a peek under the hood before taking the time to run the specified tests. A remote control starter might involve something attached to the throttle body, which may have displaced the cruise control cable. A visual inspection is quick.
tom

Old 02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
sodsaver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projectsho89's test only takes 30 seconds or less.
I did it and found my set button is shot. Now my only problem is not knowing how hard it is to switch out the switch/button. Does anyone know if it requires a total steering wheel replacement, just the buttons/sensors within, airbag removal or possibility of setting off the airbag, etc...???

Old 02-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I replaced the cruise control buttons on my 05 several years ago. It involved removing the steering wheel (air bag and all) but it was a straight forward job. The steering wheel is held on with four small bolts. You access them by removing a piece of trim on the bottom of the steering column. I don't know if the parts are available aftermarket or not but I got mine at the dealer.