6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Filters and oil?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Filters and oil?s

Okay just researching info for a future 6.4 , currently I have two OBS PSD's and it time for something newer...

Changing oil and filter, is it simply pull the plug and install new filter and add new oil and how much and what type oil?

Fuel filter is it a simple pull and replace, one or more filters?

Air filter simple to pull and replace?

How much are these filters nd where do you get them?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
Okay just researching info for a future 6.4 , currently I have two OBS PSD's and it time for something newer...
Most of these questions have just been asked and answered on FTE. If you do a search you'll find much more info here.

Changing oil and filter, is it simply pull the plug and install new filter and add new oil and how much and what type oil?
Pull the drain plug - 19mm. You'll need a large container. On a dually it works much better if you can raise it a little somehow, unless you have one of those fancy drain pans. Filter - 36mm, cannister type in valley of engine. Need a tin foil pie pan to shove under it and collect drips as you remove. 15 qts of CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM oils. Not sure your location, but in the center of the country, east and west that is, Archer Gold 15W-40 in most climates or if really cold, Archer Gold 5W-40 is DA BOMB!

Fuel filter is it a simple pull and replace, one or more filters?
Two filters. Final is along side oil filter in valley of engine and not tuff. Primary is along frame rail and requires holding ones mouth right to get the job done. Once again 36mm.

Air filter simple to pull and replace?
Yes!

How much are these filters nd where do you get them?
I will only use OEM filters in any piece of machinery, in this case - Motorcraft. Wal-Mart carries the FL-2016 engine oil filter for about $18.94. Ford will be much pricier. I just priced an FA-1886 air filter at Ford. $76.00 and some change plus tax. I've seen an FTE poster within the last week say he was quoted $105.00 for FD-4617 fuel filters. Partsguyed quotes these at $53.99 plus freight. The best deals are on eBay. I just purchased an FA-1886 and a set of FD-4617s on eBay for $91.00 and change shipped to me. I have previously purchased an FL-2016 and FD-4617s shipped for less than the cost of the 4617s anywhere else.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yes on the oil filter.. drain, replace filter and refill with 15qts oil. for diesel applications.. someone will post the number. I let the dealer do it.. $100 (15*3+30 = $75 in parts)

fuel filter.. there are 2.. one on top of the engine, one on the frame rail under the drivers seat. they both have a big hex nut, you need a (34 mm wrong) 36mm socket to get the covers off.

see the tech section sticky above for the details.. open the lower drain,
some of us remove the upper first, some the lower. make sure you seat the filter properly.. the under is a pita , specially on the 2wd like mine. close the drain.
use only motorcraft filters.. seems too many failures the service depts point back at filters.. I bought a bunch of them on ebay at decent price ($20 for the pair, FD4609).. they have changed the number (FD-4617) since but I will use these up.. 4sets to go, 40,000 miles.

once the new filters are seated.. do the key on, wait 20seconds, key off, dance 6 times before trying to start..

air filter is pull and replace.. I got mine at dieselfiltersonline.com (FA-1886). ain't cheap. $60 delivered. Dealer wanted $100(incl tax)

Sam

Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I have to agree with Sam and Larry on this. The only thing that can be a PITA is the primary fuel filter on the frame rail. And to clarify, it's a 36mm socket to remove the oil and fuel filters.

My '08 6.4L was the EASIEST oil change I've ever done. The drain plug is facing straight downward so it doesn't shoot oil out in some strange direction. I didn't need a lift or ramps.

Just slide the drain pan under the truck, remove the drain plug. As the oil is draining, come out and go to the oil filter which is mounted front and center in the engine compartment. Remove the cap for the cartridge filter with your 36mm socket and wrench, and pull the filter and cap straight up and out of the housing. They snap together and the filter cap makes for a convenient handle to remove the old filter. Snap your new filter on, install and make sure that you DO NOT over-tighten the cap. After this go down beneath the truck and re-install your drain plug, fill with oil, and you're DONE.

I only did it once before the truck was wrecked, but this was the first oil change where I never spilled a drop.

Remember that you have to open the oil filter housing before reinstalling the drain plug, as the housing doesn't drain into the sump until the cap is unscrewed.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Don't think I read anywhere in the previous posts so let me add...on the caps for both fuel and oil filters there are the torque specs.

Also after putting on the new o-rings on the caps be sure to coat them in clean oil.

I use a 5gal bucket to change the oil in mine. 15 qtrs is a hefty amount for most drain pans.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 PM
johnbrown
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, i found info. about spring on 1995psd,goes along side filter inlet,was rooting around
computor found site(PUREDIESELPOWER.COM) prices of their stuff appears reasonable,
but have never done anything with them.thank's

Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Use 14 qts. and check. 15 overfills mine. I use 14.