1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-20-2014, 04:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Tough Bed Spray Liner

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
cameronm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough Bed Spray Liner

I'm about to order a 2011 Ford F350 and was wondering if anyone has the Tough Bed spray-on liner direct from the factory? Any advice/feedback would be great!

Thanks,
Cameron

Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Cameron,
I have seen the Tough Bed and
it looks good, I went
with a DuaLiner. Have only heard good
things about it though. Good luck with the new rig.
Lots of good info in the 6.2L section of this forum...

Mike in PA

Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Nooch
New User
I just took delivery of F450 with the factory liner. I did it with the thought that it would be better that way since I got the 5th wheel pkg. and any after market might interfere with existing fixtures etc. The line looks good, but what it seems is that the bed wasn't painted first then the liner put in, but is the only layer on metal. This may not become an issue but somehow I feel that maybe it should have gone over paint to give an even greater protection. It might be wrong to think that way but somehow I feel that it is less than perfect.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:42 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nooch
I just took delivery of F450 with the factory liner. I did it with the thought that it would be better that way since I got the 5th wheel pkg. and any after market might interfere with existing fixtures etc. The line looks good, but what it seems is that the bed wasn't painted first then the liner put in, but is the only layer on metal. This may not become an issue but somehow I feel that maybe it should have gone over paint to give an even greater protection. It might be wrong to think that way but somehow I feel that it is less than perfect.
What makes you think it wasn't painted first? Have you scraped some off to see?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
cameronm
New User
I too am going to order the 5th wheel prep package so that's why I'm leaning towards the factory liner. Does the factory liner get sprayed on the bed rails (on top of the truck) or do they install anything that protects the bed rails (top side of bed along the edges)?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cameronm
I too am going to order the 5th wheel prep package so that's why I'm leaning towards the factory liner. Does the factory liner get sprayed on the bed rails (on top of the truck) or do they install anything that protects the bed rails (top side of bed along the edges)?
I'm pretty sure they do not spray the bed rails and they still use the plastic caps.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Future_LEO
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you'd want the bedliner on metal, not paint. Places like Rhino-Liner and Line-x sand your bed before spraying.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Future_LEO
I think you'd want the bedliner on metal, not paint. Places like Rhino-Liner and Line-x sand your bed before spraying.
They only rough up the paint for good adhesion, they don't sand it off.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:53 PM
cameronm
New User
Do I have to order the bed rail caps or does it come with the Tough Bed liner?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:57 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
They all come with caps, without them there are clip holes in the top of the rails that show.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:07 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you really think hat ford would take the time to mask off the bed are before it went into the mass production spray booths? chances are good that the bed is the same color as the rest of the truck and it gets special treatment when the truck moves down the rest of the assembly line to get the tough liner....just my thought though.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:37 PM
ROTTEKATZ
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Bed Liner

I added the Ford spray in liner when I ordered my truck. I like the liner. I think it is thiner than the rhino and I can see light between the deck panels. The rail have caps with pop out for the stake holes. You won't be sliding any cardboard boxes across the bed.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM
cameronm
New User
Originally Posted by ROTTEKATZ
You won't be sliding any cardboard boxes across the bed.
Would you classify the bed line as rough or smooth? For example, if I put a standard rectangular cooler in the bed and took a slow corner would it fly across the bed?

I've tried to find a Ford dealership in the area with a liner and I can't find one. Does anyone have a close up picture?

Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM
ROTTEKATZ
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by cameronm
Would you classify the bed line as rough or smooth? For example, if I put a standard rectangular cooler in the bed and took a slow corner would it fly across the bed?
As I said that cardboard box isn't going to slide. Most coolers have a smooth plastic bottom shell and would slide on sandpaper. I don't know if would call it rough, but it is definitely not smooth.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Is it hard like Line-X or softer/rubbery like Rhino?

Quick Reply: Tough Bed Spray Liner