6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0l vs 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
redbimmer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0l vs 7.3

Hey guys,

I know posting this here will give me bias results but I'm new so forgive me. I currently drive a 94 BMW and have decided that I need something a little bit more practical. My car is lowered, RWD and terrible in the Pennsylvania winters. I am currently in my second year of college. I will be selling my car to my brother over this coming summer before I leave to go up to Penn State Main Campus to complete my degree.

I've always wanted a truck and a diesel truck at that. I really don't do much towing(my dad has a Suburban) but I've heard they are more economical on fuel then a gas truck. I sometime tow a little 8' trailer with a snowmobile or wood and we have a 21' MasterCraft Wakeboard Boat that we may tow every now and again. Over the past couple weeks I have started looking into Ford trucks, especially F250's. When I went on cars.com, pretty much all I found was Ford's which sparked my interest into researching farther.

I guess my question is which engine is better. I've heard a lot of stuff saying the 6.0l is terrible because of the headgasket/head studs being weak and the EGR system. I've also heard the 7.3l is a pretty amazing motor. I need something that will be reliable. I've heard these trucks can last for a long time if well maintained. I do some of the work on my BMW now (oil changes, minor electrical work, suspension, but I wanted to see how different it is the a diesel truck). I do not plan on tuning it as I don't need it to go fast. Kinda trying to leave that part of my life. I would probably do a 4 or 5 inch exhaust, boost, pyrometer, trans temp and coolant temp guages and maybe a subtle body lift and some wheels and tires. I have just heard so many conflicting things between the 6.0L and 7.3L and I need to get a straight answer which would be better for me.

When I was growing up my dad had a Ford F-150 which I absolutely loved. I was probably like 8 or 9 and I would clean it for him everyday. I know a lot of people knock Ford's but my dad never had a problem with it. We just needed something bigger since my brother and I were growing up and the Suburban was what my dad chose.

Thanks for helping a noob out!!!!
Lenny

Old 02-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Kert0307
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redbimmer
decided that I need something a little bit more practical...

I sometime tow a little 8' trailer with a snowmobile or wood and we have a 21' MasterCraft Wakeboard Boat that we may tow every now and again. ..

When I was growing up my dad had a Ford F-150 which I absolutely loved. I was probably like 8 or 9 and I would clean it for him everyday. I know a lot of people knock Ford's but my dad never had a problem with it.
Lenny
Sounds to me like you answered your own question. If I were you I would get a F150 or an Explorer Sport Track if you are wanting something practical.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:01 PM
redbimmer
New User
Originally Posted by Kert0307
Sounds to me like you answered your own question. If I were you I would get a F150 or an Explorer Sport Track if you are wanting something practical.
I'd really want a diesel though. I've heard they are better on fuel then regular pick ups. I'd like an F250 but I want everyones opinion on which motor is better.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM
ricker1979
Junior User
Diesel is typically more expensive at the pump which somewhat offsets the better fuel economy. I'm with Kert, something smaller would be more practical, especially on a college campus. I know when I had my big truck on campus, it was a pain finding a parking spot as most colleges are set up with parking for smaller cars. Makes sense since most college students drive small cars. I don’t know what kind of parking Penn State has, but it might be worth thinking about.

If you do go with a diesel, I would lean toward a 7.3. I have owned both, I love my 6.0, but I think for a new diesel owner, the 7.3 would make a better choice. Both engines are more than enough for the little towing that you mentioned. If you do get a 6.0, stay up on the maintenance!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM
350camaro
Freshman User
Unless you have plenty of money (thousands of dollars) to spend on repairs don't buy a 6.0L you will be sorry. There is nothing cheap about repairs on a 6.0L. If you care about your financial well being don't do it, just read the horror stories here. Over the last two years I spent $3,500 in EGR related repairs. I just got rid mo my 6.0L three weeks ago.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
The 7.3L is more reliable and requires less attention to stay reliable. The 6.0L can be reliable but studs, an egr delete, and get rid of the junk Gold coolant with a good ELC are a must. The injectors on the 6.0L have to be babied more also. Skimp on fuel filter changes or use the wrong brand and you will be going through some injectors. The downside of the 7.3L is that it comes in an outdated truck (my personal opinion) and the auto trans leaves a lot to be desired. The 05+ trucks ride better and the turning radius is a thousand times better. The 7.3's seem to have more fuel and oil leaks to. If I was in your shoes, I would give the new Eco-boost F-150 a hard look. Go on the Ford website and watch the torture test they put that thing through.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
redbimmer
New User
Originally Posted by ricker1979
Diesel is typically more expensive at the pump which somewhat offsets the better fuel economy. I'm with Kert, something smaller would be more practical, especially on a college campus. I know when I had my big truck on campus, it was a pain finding a parking spot as most colleges are set up with parking for smaller cars. Makes sense since most college students drive small cars. I don’t know what kind of parking Penn State has, but it might be worth thinking about.

If you do go with a diesel, I would lean toward a 7.3. I have owned both, I love my 6.0, but I think for a new diesel owner, the 7.3 would make a better choice. Both engines are more than enough for the little towing that you mentioned. If you do get a 6.0, stay up on the maintenance!
Well if I was going to take a car up to school with me, I'd just keep my BMW. The way the kids are up there being drunk and vandalizing stuff, I wouldn't trust any cars up there. I'm very particular when it comes to keeping my cars nice. They get washed atleast once a week with wax once a month. So I guess this is one vote for 7.3L.

Originally Posted by 350camaro
Unless you have plenty of money (thousands of dollars) to spend on repairs don't buy a 6.0L you will be sorry. There is nothing cheap about repairs on a 6.0L. If you care about your financial well being don't do it, just read the horror stories here. Over the last two years I spent $3,500 in EGR related repairs. I just got rid mo my 6.0L three weeks ago.
This is what I've heard about the 6.0L. Some people have no problems while others can't get the problems to stop. Thank you for the info!

Originally Posted by UGA33
The 7.3L is more reliable and requires less attention to stay reliable. The 6.0L can be reliable but studs, an egr delete, and get rid of the junk Gold coolant with a good ELC are a must. The injectors on the 6.0L have to be babied more also. Skimp on fuel filter changes or use the wrong brand and you will be going through some injectors. The downside of the 7.3L is that it comes in an outdated truck (my personal opinion) and the auto trans leaves a lot to be desired. The 05+ trucks ride better and the turning radius is a thousand times better. The 7.3's seem to have more fuel and oil leaks to. If I was in your shoes, I would give the new Eco-boost F-150 a hard look. Go on the Ford website and watch the torture test they put that thing through.
So if it were up to you, you'd look for a 7.3L with manual trans? I've heard the trans that is mated with the 6.0L is amazing but the motor isn't. I don't plan on buying a new truck so the new eco boost is out of the question. I have school to pay for too. I guess I will have to research more about the 7.3L and see what their qwerks are.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM
3000 FPS
Elder User
For a new diesel owner the 7.3L.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

If I had the choice right now to buy a 7.3L or 6.0L, I would choose the 6.0L again. I accept and am aware of its limits. The 5r110 coupled with the interior, suspension, and the factory trailer brake option just do it for me. Like you have to keep telling the Dodge guys, there is more to the truck than just the motor. The cost to make a 6.0L reliable, in the long run, will not cost you any more than the quirks the trucks that the 7.3L come in will cost you. The 7.3 equipped Super Duties love to eat ball joints and the brakes are not adequate enough for the work the trucks are designated to do. But I am not going to lie to you, if my cash flow was a little better, I would have a regular cab long bed OBS SRW F-350 with a 7.3L sitting in the driveway. Do your research and decide.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM
redbimmer
New User
If I had the choice right now to buy a 7.3L or 6.0L, I would choose the 6.0L again. I accept and am aware of its limits. The 5r110 coupled with the interior, suspension, and the factory trailer brake option just do it for me. Like you have to keep telling the Dodge guys, there is more to the truck than just the motor. The cost to make a 6.0L reliable, in the long run, will not cost you any more than the quirks the trucks that the 7.3L come in will cost you. The 7.3 equipped Super Duties love to eat ball joints and the brakes are not adequate enough for the work the trucks are designated to do. But I am not going to lie to you, if my cash flow was a little better, I would have a regular cab long bed OBS SRW F-350 with a 7.3L sitting in the driveway. Do your research and decide.
Great info. I've been researching but wanted to hear it first hand opinion!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 7.3L is more reliable and requires less attention to stay reliable. The 6.0L can be reliable but studs, an egr delete, and get rid of the junk Gold coolant with a good ELC are a must. The injectors on the 6.0L have to be babied more also.

Not too sure I agree with that.

EGR delete is more of a symptom treater, not a problem solver. If you are going to have an oil cooler problem, you are going to have it, taking out the EGR system just takes away a noticeable symptom of oil cooler issue(or tuner issues as well).

I still use the gold coolant and I don't baby my fuel injectors(just modified stock injectors, but only as far as nozzle size goes), not to mention I don't run fuel and/or oil additives or even have the coolant filter.

Now the cost of repairs on a 6.0 is much much more then a 7.3, but that has to do with a lot of the inter relationship that there is between the 6.0 and it's components. That's even more so with the 6.4 and the new 6.7 and only going to continue to be so.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM
amadas350
Senior User
Originally Posted by redbimmer
I'd really want a diesel though. I've heard they are better on fuel then regular pick ups. I'd like an F250 but I want everyones opinion on which motor is better.

Thanks!
6.0 hands down. but honestly a f-150 will tow all of that and get better mileage. god knows how many people i have known that make reasons to get a diesel, then complain about how expensive it is to have.

living here in athens ga (a college town) when i am driving around town i can vary from 8-12 and highway 15-18. yeah they are cool in all, but it is just not economical unless you use it. not to mention the size of my truck fits NO WHERE in the town. i am debating getting rid of my 6.0 to get a f150, might know were you can get a truck

Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by tex25025
Not too sure I agree with that.

EGR delete is more of a symptom treater, not a problem solver. If you are going to have an oil cooler problem, you are going to have it, taking out the EGR system just takes away a noticeable symptom of oil cooler issue(or tuner issues as well).

I still use the gold coolant and I don't baby my fuel injectors(just modified stock injectors, but only as far as nozzle size goes), not to mention I don't run fuel and/or oil additives or even have the coolant filter.

Now the cost of repairs on a 6.0 is much much more then a 7.3, but that has to do with a lot of the inter relationship that there is between the 6.0 and it's components. That's even more so with the 6.4 and the new 6.7 and only going to continue to be so.
There are always exceptions to everything. I am sure there are also one or two happy 6.2L or 6.5L GM diesel owners in the world. Overall though, the 6.0L fuel injectors are not as reliable as the 7.3L injectors. I am interested to see if the updated fuel pressure regulator spring out for the 6.0's alleviate injector failure rates on the 6.0L.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i've had both 7.3 and 6.0 that crew cab long beds 4x4 ever since high school and parking at my college is so crazy for a big truck but i try not to drive it to school.

the 05 and up trucks have a nicer interior and coil spring front suspension which is a smoother ride and better turning radius. have you ever drove a diesel? i would say take a ride in each before you buy unless your stoked on the first one. it seems like since you have a beemer and said you take care of you cars that you either tuck wouldn't be hard for you to understand how much maintance is needed and when. just remember that these trucks take gallons of oil each oil change and every service is on the upper end price wise.

i personally liked my 6.0 a lot in stock form the engine and transmission work great. in my 7.3 it needed a built transmission but with all the usual mods it was a sweet truck.

up to you man. good luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:05 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by amadas350
yeah they are cool in all, but it is just not economical unless you use it. not to mention the size of my truck fits NO WHERE in the town.
I finished up at UGA in 09. It fits, you just have to know how to drive it. ........J/K. You attending school or just live there?

Quick Reply: 6.0l vs 7.3