Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

DIisney

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:59 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Justin, do you want to borrow my CB. Nothing to wire up, just plugs into cigarette lighter with a magnetic antenae.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 PM
EatBeef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're eating in Parsons there's a travel plaza at 400 & 59. Pretty good food and easy parking for trucks with trailers. There's also a pizza/sandwich shop just south of the travel plaza on the west side of the road. Heading south on 59 takes you through town where there's a Chinese buffet and a couple Mexican places a couple blocks off 59. McDonalds and Burger King are available, but you'd need to park on the side streets as neither one has much of a parking lot. WalMart has a Subway in it (East door) which is also at 400 & 59 with plenty o parking.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 AM
HappyJack
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 82'Stepside
No CB in the truck, the one in the Jeep is pretty well hard wired in too. I may buy a handheld unit to keep in the truck and possibly in the Jeep for this trip since mine is finicky. Would a cheapie at Wal-mart be a good buy if I want a mile or so coverage?
Hand helds are good for spotting but not a lot else. Range is poor with the ones I have used. Nothing close to a mile. If ya have someone useing one you need to put them in the middle of the group. Most of the time they will be able to talk to the person in front or behind. Most of the time they won't hear others out front or at the tail end.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Eat Beef, thank you for the information about the food!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
Cool Hand held would be cool. The 30 dollar one from walmart is what I have. My brother also has a cheapy but his goes back to channel 1 (I think) everytime the power is unplugged so he hates that. I'm sure I'll get flamed for a cheapy CB from some 70's trucker leftover-- but hey my cheapy an 12 dollar antenna has been fine for me.

I am excited :-)

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Thomasm67
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have a nice hand held/w magnetic roof antenna but it disappeared.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Yeah I lost "cusody" of allot of stuff about 15 years ago.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 PM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the offer Del, but tonight we just bit the bullet and bought a Cobro 19 Ultra III from Wal-mart for ~$40. It looks really nice, it's compact, and had a pretty good price tag compared to other models I had been looking at. Picked up 2 cheapy magnetic CB antennas for the truck/Jeep replacemetn so I should be good in the CB department for the time being.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
As soon as I bought one, there where several at garage sales for $1. I plug mine into the cig lighter so I can move it to a tow vehicle if needed. but i guess i could just wire it up someday :-) Now that I will be plugging in the new free 40 quart coleman cooler :-)

Lets see that's 2 air compressors, a cooler, a grill, a sleeping bag, 5 DVD's, and a set of diamond earings-- over the last 3 years from bonus points at work!! :-)

Old 03-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
I guess Troy is staying here Wed Night- So Justin if you make it here by 8:30 we should be able to meet Curt at noon in Parsons. I'll take us through the least amount of towns by taking back roads to 77 South. Then 400 to Parsons. El DOrado will be the only town with stop lights, and narrow streets ect but there should only be 3 lights and just a mile or 2 of town. But it will be a straight shot-- no tight corners or anything. The rest of the towns are fine with a trailer. Parsons and Vinita being the largest-- but still fine.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by EatBeef
If you're eating in Parsons there's a travel plaza at 400 & 59. Pretty good food and easy parking for trucks with trailers. There's also a pizza/sandwich shop just south of the travel plaza on the west side of the road. Heading south on 59 takes you through town where there's a Chinese buffet and a couple Mexican places a couple blocks off 59. McDonalds and Burger King are available, but you'd need to park on the side streets as neither one has much of a parking lot. WalMart has a Subway in it (East door) which is also at 400 & 59 with plenty o parking.
Hey thanks for the info Beefy! I was at the truck stop in Oct I think. It is the one with antique wagons for sale in the parking lot I think. Personally I am always up for a buffet but traveling with folks I'll let them decide (and more so the guy with the trailer will decide because of parking)

Where you thinking of coming out for a weekend/day/afternoon/supper? The more the merrier! Just let me know and I will send you my Phone # so we can G2G.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Flip4ford
As soon as I bought one, there where several at garage sales for $1. I plug mine into the cig lighter so I can move it to a tow vehicle if needed. but i guess i could just wire it up someday :-) Now that I will be plugging in the new free 40 quart coleman cooler :-)

Lets see that's 2 air compressors, a cooler, a grill, a sleeping bag, 5 DVD's, and a set of diamond earings-- over the last 3 years from bonus points at work!! :-)
Yeah, as soon as I went out to the garage last night I noticed one that I bought last summer for the Jeep that was just laying there, only paid 5 bux for it and it worked perfect. It's some crappy no-name brand, doesn't look the coolest either. I dunno which one I'll install yet

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Flip4ford
I guess Troy is staying here Wed Night- So Justin if you make it here by 8:30 we should be able to meet Curt at noon in Parsons. I'll take us through the least amount of towns by taking back roads to 77 South. Then 400 to Parsons. El DOrado will be the only town with stop lights, and narrow streets ect but there should only be 3 lights and just a mile or 2 of town. But it will be a straight shot-- no tight corners or anything. The rest of the towns are fine with a trailer. Parsons and Vinita being the largest-- but still fine.
No problem, I'll be there!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
started packing the trailer tonight, long way to go, but made some progress, before its all said and done, I will likely unpack the trailer and repack it to even out the load. I need to make a list of things to take.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
OIl Changed-- Gear lube added-- Fixed Speedo-- Even Drove it around the block :-) Now Have to Pack--

Curt I can help you get started on your list...
1. Maddie
2. Belle
3. Trailer
4. Gas Monies...

Quick Reply: DIisney