Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

2WD prevention for mud.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
kayemdee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD prevention for mud.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but here goes...

I bought a 2WD truck in October. Since I know little to nothing about cars/trucks and that's kind of my grandpas area of expertise he helped me shop around...I ended up getting an '04 F-150...with 2wd. I asked and asked and asked if that would be a problem for my purpose of having a truck - pulling a horse trailer. I was assured it would be fine. Now I'm nervous... I've gotten stuck a few times, one time totally caused by my error and the other was kind of a fluke thing.

SO now I'm wondering if it WILL be okay for it's purpose. I know it can pull the trailer fine, but I'm thinking of when I have to park it in a pasture area, if I'll get out okay if it's recently rained/muddy/etc. Is there anything I can do to prevent getting stuck or carry along in case I get stuck? I've been toying around with the idea of selling it and getting something 4wd, but I'd really rather not...I've grown attached to her...

I feel silly posting this because I know I must sound like an idiot, but that's why I came on here...trying to learn more about my truck before I start pulling precious cargo.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Well if your twice stuck problems are once your own doing & then a fluke there's probably nothing to worry about. If a trusted advisor suggested this particular truck for purposes of towing a horse trailer not sure why you're doubting that advice so quickly.

Look around at what others are using---chances are you'll find many many very similar to your rig. I've seen ill-advise people pulling 2 horse trailers with nothing more than 1/2 ton pick ups and vans, some using the older large station wagons from the 80's.

Sadly there's no device or magic trick to undo something silly we do so planning ahead and carefully surveying where you park will go furthest in "mud prevention" Thing is I've seen more 4 WD's stuck simply because the drivers believe there's no place they can't get themselves out of----proves to not be true so often yet time and time again we see it.

Better luck next time!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tires can make a huge difference. If you have highway tread, then it will get stuck really quick. I run a highway tread on the front of my truck, but a slightly aggressive all terrain on the rear.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
ray bennett
New User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Tires can make a huge difference. If you have highway tread, then it will get stuck really quick. I run a highway tread on the front of my truck, but a slightly aggressive all terrain on the rear.
What he said. Get rid of the straight tread and get an all terrain pattern. also for field use a wider rear tire would be better. It will give you more surface area too grab and less rutting of the field. I run BFG all terrains on all my farm trucks.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Derrick@TireRack.com
Former Vendor
I would keep the truck and get yourself a set of good all terrain tires for it. That would help for sure.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BZ1&...tination+A%2FT

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BZ1&...rrain+T%2FA+KO

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BZ1&...l=Grabber+AT+2

Last edited by Derrick@TireRack.com; 01-31-2011 at 02:14 PM.