6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New PCM & TCM Flash on Job 1 Truck (Jan 27)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New PCM & TCM Flash on Job 1 Truck (Jan 27)

Thought I would hook up my VCM this morning and see if anything new was happening. First the download manager upgraded my IDS software (v. 71.02) and VCM firmware to the newest versions:

Next I checked out the new programming parameters - I posted the fuel tank size parameters in another thread for all who added aftermarket fuel tanks to increase capacity.

Then I checked for new flash updates - nothing new on the ABS, APIM, or IPC modules - but when I checked out the PCM, I got this:

Hhmm, I can't find out what exactly this flash is for - I know it is not the 400/800 flash since I had that done already. I can't find any service alerts or docs specifying what this is for - I suspect it may be related to TSB 10-23-9 although my vehicle does not exhibit any of those issues nor has it thrown any of the DTC's identified in that TSB. However there are no other TSB's that specify TCM and PCM reprogramming for vehicles built before 11/5/2010 so it has got to be this. My truck is Job1 built in May 2010 and I had the 400/800 flash completed in Aug 2010.

In any case, I did the flash and it went smoothly - it takes about 20 minutes start to finish to update both the PCM and TCM. Since those modules were updated the truck now needs to go through a learn period again to montior shift points, etc. I will report back if I notice anything significantly different from the pre-flash.

Here is the new flash confirmed. I think dealers ought to provide this screenshot/printout to customers as evidence:

As I said I will report back if anything seems different from an operating standpoint.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Again I say, Rdenis, you are the man...I wait for your report. When the last update came out I took my truck in and was not eligible for any updates. early June build with Sep 2nd 400/800 upgrade,

Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Alright after running up and down the mountain all day all I can say is I have no idea if anything is noticeably different. So far this flash is a mystery to me - maybe it has solved a problem I didn't know I never had!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rdenis
Alright after running up and down the mountain all day all I can say is I have no idea if anything is noticeably different. So far this flash is a mystery to me - maybe it has solved a problem I didn't know I never had!
Had I not spent all this money on NAV upgrades, I would love to have your IDS system. Oh Well..... There is a house for sale down the road from me, you want to move to KY? We can do updates and fixes all day every Saturday.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I do not think you can get the IDS software. It is proprietary Ford property. AutoEnginuity should have the 2011 updates in late summer. I will be buying the upgrade.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM
lexustbs
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
I do not think you can get the IDS software. It is proprietary Ford property. AutoEnginuity should have the 2011 updates in late summer. I will be buying the upgrade.
What is this?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
I have an appointment this coming Tuesday with my dealer to make sure I have the latest updates on my 9/10 built truck. I wanted to change the oil while the truck was in the service bay as I will have a little less than 5000 miles by appointment time, but my mechanic tells me wait until the truck tells me to change the oil. BTW, he reads this forum.

I will ask the mechanic about this latest "New PCM & TCM Flash on Job 1" as my truck is a Job 1. I will report back if I learn anything.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:53 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mud_Man_Dude
I have an appointment this coming Tuesday with my dealer to make sure I have the latest updates on my 9/10 built truck. I wanted to change the oil while the truck was in the service bay as I will have a little less than 5000 miles by appointment time, but my mechanic tells me wait until the truck tells me to change the oil. BTW, he reads this forum.

I will ask the mechanic about this latest "New PCM & TCM Flash on Job 1" as my truck is a Job 1. I will report back if I learn anything.
Peace of mind is worth whatever the cost. It's your truck, change the oil.

I went in this week for my first oil change. It had 5079 miles. I don't like running that many miles on the first oil change either. It took daily therapy just to get me to go as far as I did.

My OCD kicks in way more than it used to. Is that bad?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lexustbs
What is this?
If you are asking about AutoEnginuity (AE) it is a software/hardware interface that works through the OBD2 port. It is a system similar to the Ford IDS service interface the dealers use to upgrade all Ford products. While it can not make new changes to the programming, AE is able to view all the system parameters that report through the OBD2 port. It uses a laptop to view DTC's, erase DTC's, run diagnostics, view and log performance data, turn on or off features in the truck and make changes like speedometer corrections for tire sizes. It views all the computer modules on the truck. PCM, TCM, BCM and any other modules. It is not a performance programmer. Here is a link to their site:

Products

Clay at Riff Raff Diesel usually has the best deal and great service. He is a sponsor here. Here is a link to his site:

Riffraff Diesel

I have the AE for all Fords through 2009. I will upgrade when the 6.7 update is released. Good stuff.

Regards

Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 PM
rdenis
Tuned
UPDATE

So I've been running this flash for a few days now and the temps have dipped quite a bit - before the flash the tranny definitely seemed to shift a bit harsher prior to rising to operating temp, particularly from 2-3 and 3-2.

Those shifts are definitely smooth now, depite it being -10 C and the tranny not yet warmed up.

I can't say for sure this apparent shifting improvement is flash related but I suppose it is possible.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:00 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Seeing my vin does not come up for an upgrade, how do I get the new flashes?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Originally Posted by rickatic
Seeing my vin does not come up for an upgrade, how do I get the new flashes?

Now that is the 64 million dollar question - but I'm working on it. One way might be to translate the binary file into hex and then rip the calibration info into As Built data format which can be manually input in IDS.

Of course it would be a hell of a lot easier if IDS would just tell me what this update actually was for, lol.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE

So I've been running this flash for a few days now and the temps have dipped quite a bit - before the flash the tranny definitely seemed to shift a bit harsher prior to rising to operating temp, particularly from 2-3 and 3-2.

Those shifts are definitely smooth now, depite it being -10 C and the tranny not yet warmed up.

I can't say for sure this apparent shifting improvement is flash related but I suppose it is possible.
I certainly would be interested in knowing what I am running. My truck was built on 12/2 and I definitely have the 2/3 hard shifting as well as a 4/5 hard shift. In my truck the 4/5 shift is more prenounced.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Now that is the 64 million dollar question - but I'm working on it. One way might be to translate the binary file into hex and then rip the calibration info into As Built data format which can be manually input in IDS.

Of course it would be a hell of a lot easier if IDS would just tell me what this update actually was for, lol.
Binary...hex..rip into as built...I thought Latin was a dead language...I hate to let someone else do the heavy lifting but I know when I am over my head...

Regards

Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
I just returned from my first oil change and service. My 9/10 build 6.7 KR did take a new flash for the tranny and the DEF fill update. I am not sure if I received the update that rdenis is talking about or not, but I did receive an update none the less.

My dealer is about 35 miles from my home and with a North wind blowing 40 mph+ it is hard to tell any difference in the shifting of the transmission.

Quick Reply: New PCM & TCM Flash on Job 1 Truck (Jan 27)