1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

what thermostat and why

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:29 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what thermostat and why

Its almost time to replace the upper metal water pipe on the water pump and if I have to drain coolant, I might as well replace the thermostat. I have no idea what's in there now but my truck takes FOREVER to warm up and when its "warm" the needle barely moves above the cold mark on a cold day. I know the t-stat isn't completely shot because in the summer time the temp moves further up the dial.

Anyway, I had been reading that international maybe uses a 203* stat? What is suppose to be in my vehicle and is it possible someone put a colder stat in? The previous owner had this thing set up for towing a 5th wheel something.... I want heat but I also don't wanna shoot myself in the foot if I decided to tow something down the road (no pun intended).

Just curious.
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The standard stat is around 195*. The Motorcraft stat has the seal attached to the stat now so you don't have to fool with a separate seal.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Just ordered the 203* stat for my truck from Dieselsite yesterday. Looking forward to getting into my truck as I am having the same issue.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick wit motorcraft! Parts store thermostats will not hold a constant temp. If they do it won't be for long. As for one sold online well if the maker is telling you on the site that it needs to be replaced every year and it costs twice as much as a Ford one then well, draw your own conclusion.
There used to be companies making "balanced thermostats" for hot rods and most pickups. Those days seem to be long gone. They were niice because it would not even begin to open till it reached it's rated temp then it would go about 10 deg high and balance out at the rated temp. They were some fancy looking contraptions and I had one in my 302 for years but they are gone. Our best choice now is motorcraft.

These things are just cold in the winter. Especially if you have the all metal radiator. About the only thing I can suggest from messing with mine so much trying to get heat is first pull out your blower fan and clean the condenser out. Suck it out with a shop vac, hose it out, whatever. If you ain't got air flow then you won't have much heat. Second, cover up the radiator. If you're gonna buy a fancy grill cover then don't forget to improvise something for the big holes in the bumper. It will help a little.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel site 203* thermostat because its better

just cuz your engine gets warmer in the summer doesn't mean your thermostat is working. it only means that it is hotter outside and/or you are using the a/c. my truck has the same operating temp no matter what he weather. it sits on the 'R'

Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
203° was standard on 95's, but they switched to 195° in 96. When I first bought my truck, which is a 95, someone had put a 195° in it. I switched to the 203° and not only does the heater work better, the truck runs better.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It was -2 when I left Monday morning.
Within 4 miles of the house, the air coming out of my dash vents was to hot to leave your hand in front of.

Truck not plugged in, radiator not covered up and a 195 degree Motorcraft thermostat replaced last winter, when my truck was cold to ride in.

Now within 10 miles, I have the temp control turned down and the fan off and it is still 75 or 80 in the crew cab.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow! all very interesting points. What are the symptoms of a blown open t-stat in a diesel? I still have heat (and I personally think its pretty hot but i have nothing to compare it to, i've had this truck for almost 5 years now and it's been like this ever since I got it) so i'm ruling out a bad t-stat from previous experiences (I had a buick once with absolutely no heat from a blown t-stat...man those were a few cold days i never want to re-live driving to and from work; and to top it off that stupid buick took 5 years to heat up on a summer day with a working t-stat. Guess it was just the design of the cooling system).

Anyway, I was looking for parts and actually found a navistar dealer right down the street. My day has been made. The were able to get me (what I have researched everywhere else and online) a $25 part for like $20. OK whoopty doo, a $5 savings but that's 20%...so 20% on a regularly $100 item is $20... my part just paid for itself.

OK so i'm rambling.... but aren't navistar/international parts better or at least the same as motorcraft parts (the did manufacturer the engine right?)

So what's the consensus here...do I replace my t-stat (since I have to eventually replace coolant system parts anyway) and if i do, what size t-stat. For some reason I'm leaning toward the 203* but how will this effect fuel mileage? I'm trying to do what I can to conserve precious $3.xx per gal fuel.

Thanks,
Al

Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
makomark
Senior User
The hotter t-stat should improve your economy but only a bit.

We've a 96 too. Recently, the drip from the water pump was found so it was time for a new pump. After doing research similar to yours, we concluded that switching over to the older ('94 & '95) pump would allow the use of a 'standard' style t-stat (cheaper).

Bottom line - new water pump & 205 deg stat improved things tremendously, at least for us. If you don't need to change your water pump, make sure you get the correct "long style" stat (Ford specific design) to minimize any of those problems.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
203° was standard on 95's, but they switched to 195° in 96. When I first bought my truck, which is a 95, someone had put a 195° in it. I switched to the 203° and not only does the heater work better, the truck runs better.
Hmmm.... An IH tech told me all 7.3 used in IH trucks had the 203° stat, so for me that's good enough reason to want one. Ford tech told me all 7.3 used in Fords had the 195° stats. ?? You can use an IH or parts store 203° stat in the older 94.5 - E'95 motors, but beyond that you need to go to Diesel Site. I went through 2 parts store stats (195°) in my '97 before the 203° DS stat, and the DS stat has worked great for almost 2 years now.

It was -2 when I left Monday morning.
Within 4 miles of the house, the air coming out of my dash vents was to hot to leave your hand in front of.
Truck not plugged in, radiator not covered up and a 195 degree Motorcraft thermostat replaced last winter, when my truck was cold to ride in.
Now within 10 miles, I have the temp control turned down and the fan off and it is still 75 or 80 in the crew cab.
Wow. Anything below 25° here and it takes about 20 minutes of driving (non-freeway) to get any heat whatsoever. I can't turn the heat down till about 45 mintues of driving. And that's with a new stat and cleaned the airbox, or whatever it's called out in front of the glove box.

I've been driving these 7.3 PSD's since '96, and every winter I swear I'm going to get a gas truck the next year cuz I'm sick of not having any heat.

Edit:
"but aren't navistar/international parts better or at least the same as motorcraft parts (the did manufacturer the engine right?)"

I've been told even the IH/Ford stats are a crap shoot. Some guys go through 3 or 4 of them $80 stats before they get a good one. Not worth that kind of $$ to me. Just get a 203° from DieselSite and be done with it. He also sells a new water neck for a good price, replace that at the same time and don't look back.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It takes 5 minutes of driving for my truck to get hot in the cab. If I just let it sit, it will take 20+ minutes to warm up.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

I also have the 203* stat from diesel site,bought the neck at the same time, and it was worth the money I think it has been almost 3 years with no troubles I don't notice any fuel savings at all but the motor does seem quieter when at operating temps and the heat reminds me of the kinda heat I got from all my previous FORD gas trucks just takes longer to get there LOL.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
anyone make a cast thermostat housing for our year truck?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Nope. Not yet anyway as far as I know. There is one for the Superduty 7.3 but I don't think it would be worth the trouble to adapt.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Remember I am in WV.
Nothing flat here, within 5 miles I have already climbed several not so small hills.

I never see the fuel MPG numbers everyone else posts with either of my trucks.
However, fast heat is not a problem.

Quick Reply: what thermostat and why