1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

You think this would work...cab insulation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 AM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question You think this would work...cab insulation

Hey guys, i run across this stuff and thought maybe this would be a good thing to put in the cab to quiet it down and insulate. what do you all think?

Shop BLACK JACK 4.75 Gallon Rubr-Coat #57 Premium Rubberized Roof Coating at Lowes.com

Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Justin16
Junior User
All the black jack I've ever seen was a roofing tar. Makes a mess and never really dries.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:50 AM
hellfirejim
Elder User
So what is a good reasonably priced insulation to use? what do you reccomend??

jim

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I got mine from "Sound proof cow."

Bought it last year before the fire so I don't have the receipt but, if memory serves me right, it was less than Dyna-mat.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
The guys over on the HAMB have this discussion every so often. Dynamat is the big name in car insulation but the HAMB guys have come up with cheaper alternatives. One is going to the local big box store and using the material used to wrap basement foundations before they're back filled. It's got a sticky tar on one side and a foil on the other. They use this for covering the floor. They use an insulation material for heating ducts for the doors and roves. It's basically a stick bubble wrap with adhesive on one side and foil on the other. It's relatively cheap and available locally.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
There is a bit of science involved with this. If you are interested in soundproofing then you need something that is thick and rubbery to absorb the acoustic energy that is being transferred through the metal of the cab. bobj49f2 has recommended a good cheap product that has been used for this purpose. While I have no direct experience with this product but I would recommend that you be sure that whatever you use that it doesn't release harmful vapors or just plain stink...especially when the cab has been sitting in the direct sunlight on a hot day.
As for insulation, one of the best materials I have found is microspheres. These are extremely small spheres (think tiny balloon) that are suspended in a paint or resin. Each sphere is filled with air and resists the transfer of heat through it. This is what is used in LizardSkin and other high-dollar products. Microspheres are extremely light and are easily mixed into latex paint that can then be sprayed onto a surface...the thicker you keep the paint mixture then the better it will adhere to vertical surfaces. You can buy microspheres online or at your local fiberglass supply house. Do some homework and I think that you will find that you can get a very high performance result at a very low cost. BTW, did I mention that there are no harmful vapors or stink with this technique and it is super-light and multiple coats can be applied until you achieve your desired results.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had good luck with Second Skin sound deadener.
Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin

I used the Damplifier Pro on my Pontiac Firebird and it made a very noticeable difference. I plan on using the sludge as well on my truck. Check it out. Much cheaper then Dynamat. (But still not as cheap as the home remedies...)

Old 01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
There is a bit of science involved with this. If you are interested in soundproofing then you need something that is thick and rubbery to absorb the acoustic energy that is being transferred through the metal of the cab. bobj49f2 has recommended a good cheap product that has been used for this purpose. While I have no direct experience with this product but I would recommend that you be sure that whatever you use that it doesn't release harmful vapors or just plain stink...especially when the cab has been sitting in the direct sunlight on a hot day.
As for insulation, one of the best materials I have found is microspheres. These are extremely small spheres (think tiny balloon) that are suspended in a paint or resin. Each sphere is filled with air and resists the transfer of heat through it. This is what is used in LizardSkin and other high-dollar products. Microspheres are extremely light and are easily mixed into latex paint that can then be sprayed onto a surface...the thicker you keep the paint mixture then the better it will adhere to vertical surfaces. You can buy microspheres online or at your local fiberglass supply house. Do some homework and I think that you will find that you can get a very high performance result at a very low cost. BTW, did I mention that there are no harmful vapors or stink with this technique and it is super-light and multiple coats can be applied until you achieve your desired results.
Now that's pretty darn cool

Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 615 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by reed1951
Hey guys, i run across this stuff and thought maybe this would be a good thing to put in the cab to quiet it down and insulate. what do you all think?

Shop BLACK JACK 4.75 Gallon Rubr-Coat #57 Premium Rubberized Roof Coating at Lowes.com

I think you would smell it for quite awhile!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
SPRAY FOAM

Closed cell foam used for homes is what i used. I live in fl. but my truck would do well in canada. I posted some pics. of this stuff on one of my threads. WORKS GREAT

Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Is there something for us guys without a gun to spray it on???

I need heat and noise protection.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Stacy on the weekend TV car show last weekend used Duplicolor bed liner on a truck bed. Looked rubber and thick and stuck good enough. Don't know about smell during drying. It was applied with a roller. Anyone use it on a bed, have a opinion?

chuck

Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
FOAM

Originally Posted by hellfirejim
Is there something for us guys without a gun to spray it on???

I need heat and noise protection.
If you look it up under my thread insulation i told were to go to get this stuff. It was a repair kit that worked out just right to spray the cab. It comes in a box with two cans that mix together and it will stay were you put it[ works as sound deader as well]. This is some great stuff !!!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

There was a thread on hotrodders dot com awhile back about home made lizard skin, hmls. Big thread. It's regular, latex paint with microsperes added, like charlie said, above. I bought microsperes from Wicks aircraft supply, iirc. Exterior latex paint is frequently available as miss tint for a few bucks a gallon. I made mine thick and brushed it on, like lizard skin, the thickness of a credit card. On top of that, I'll use peel and seal, which is a roofing product available in roll form at lowes. It's rubberized ashphalt, with a foil backing. Do a search on the hamb for the info on peel and seal. According to our brothers on other forums, you can heat and sound insulate for very little money with just alittle effort.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 AM
AstroFab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had success using the expensive Dyna Mat, Lizard Skin, etc.

I've also had success using simple water heater insulation. The honeycomb reflective stuff. It comes in sticky & not sticky. It's cheap at Lowe's/Home Depot. I used the aluminum tape that is designed for it and have had it in many cars.

A few years ago I did a test for myself, just to share the results with other truck owners. This was for an older Dodge Diesel. I used the cheap Lowe's stuff throughout the cab...underside of the roof, floors, door skins, firewall area, and behind the seat at the back of the cab. I had a thermometer in the truck when it was stock. It was about 97 out that day, and the thermometer inside the truck with the windows rolled up read 128. The next day I ripped out the interior, installed the cheap insulation, and buttoned the interior back up the following morning. Around the same time of day as before, the temp was 98 outside, and the inside themometer was showing 102. I'd say that wasn't too shabby for about $40 in insulation rolls & tape and a days work. It made driving my truck so much more comfortable.

Quick Reply: You think this would work...cab insulation