Michigan Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Toyman

CPL holders

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Capital Customs
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat, you left the door wide open on that one.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I read. I re read.. then I caught it...

Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 300 Buster
That is probably true,I was just going by what is said about overall competition shooting,trap,pistol,rifle,nationwide,and some of my own experience.Of course they have to want to shoot and not be a bimbo.What I found in the few I taught to shoot handguns,was that they had a clear mind,no preconceptions,like Dirty Harry,Hollywood horizontal pistol shooting,or cowboy one handed target shooting.I have also seen a few that were really "gun shy" because their hubby,boyfriend or even dad had them shoot a 12ga or large bore pistol or rifle before they shot anything reasonable and are so afraid of the pain,that it's hard to even teach them to shoot .22.Like everything else,it still comes down to the individual.
Correct, Women are better, sometimes, at taking instructions.
The thing that can make women a better shot than a man is that men get all manly and don't always take guns to the seriousness level that a woman does. When a woman gets into guns, she views it different then guys. She takes every word of instruction into account and remembers in that Rolodex they keep in their head. Thus allowing a disiplined woman to become a great shot. However...

Originally Posted by officer131
I would say this is a case by case basis.
This is most correct, it is a case by case basis.
My mother is a gun nut in some senses. Grew up with guns and loves guns. She shoots more often than I do and I can out shoot her all day with no practice.
Though, she'll hit you on the second shot with a shot gun if you run away hahaha.
Just all depends on the person. Some people are programed with better motorskills and concentration than others.
Those with fine motorskills and great concentration can do things like that guy who shot 12 rounds from a revolver in what? 4 seconds? a 6 shot revolver at that.
Lots of practice and good motor skills.

As for the "getting hurt" part
I heard a story about a girl wanting to join the military but was scared of getting hurt by gun kickback.
A marine family member was teaching her to shoot so she would be ready when she joined.
She was so scared about it hurting, he just did an old show off trick, threw the gun to his forehead and fired off a few rounds down range.
This mentally prepared her that its not that bad. and I guess she became a pretty good shot.

reading about the breaking wrists and stuff always amuses me, juts like stars shooting a 50cal desert eagle in the movies one handed.
Yeah, if you wanna bruise and break your wrist.
There are lots of guns out there that require 2 hands, and they make shooting gloves for a reason, and its not about making you a sissy by using 2 hands or a glove. These guns just are that powerful. Such as the 41 mag I have here. I could probably shoot it 1 handed, but I wont. I could probably shoot it with no ear plugs or headphones, but I wont either, cause its too loud even with ear plugs and headphones on.
Hell, I could just shoot a blank out of it if somebody broke into the house, it would kill them just hearing the blast.

Guns are a great tool
But the problem is that the population is so uneducated, they do ******* things like shoot people.
Okay, so we are a society that has evolved from carrying around guns on our hips.
So what?
Look at all the crime that could be prevented just from the allure of knowing your opponent has a gun.
You'd sure the hell see less muggings.

Sure, people would still shoot each other.
Gangs do all the time. But both sides have guns, and gang members are generally not very well educated people. Our society as a whole would have evolved differently if guns were more prominent in our lives over the last 100 years, as well as our education and ethics towards each other were not so degraded.
While you don't have to believe in the bible, some of the wholesome messages in it are good for anyone no matter their religion.

I just read a quote in a book from Franklin about this. He wasn't a Christian but saw the good in the Christian moral values and their effect on the public/people.

It's not quite as I remember. Unless I found a different quote. So many quotes in the book, it's hard to find them.

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."

Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Downsea
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I can honestly say that I've never fired a handgun with one hand. Just couldn't do it now, it'd feel wrong. Those Desert Eagles are one fine handgun along with the S&W 500. I was able to fire 2 rounds with the S&W last year. I wanted one after that, I bet I thought about it twice a day for a month. The TOTAL price, including divorce, wan't worth it.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
I like the ruger LCR over the LCP mainly due to ammo. being a .380 the lcp even with hollow point ammo just doesnt seem adequate to me. still wouldnt want to get shot by one. but the LCP can fire .38+P. and it fits in the pocket just as easily as the lcp.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ken_C
I like the ruger LCR over the LCP mainly due to ammo. being a .380 the lcp even with hollow point ammo just doesnt seem adequate to me. still wouldnt want to get shot by one. but the LCP can fire .38+P. and it fits in the pocket just as easily as the lcp.
ANd the nice thing about the LCR, I have rarely heard of a error with one. Revolvers 99% of the time go bang..

but I dont know.. still into the that Kimber ultra carry 2.. nothing say stop like a .45

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
300 Buster
Senior User
And nothing say dependable like a 1911,in any length.Good wheelguns also dependable,with a lot riding on"good".

Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The .380acp WILL do the job, we recently had a citizen drop a robber with one shot from a Colt Mustang .380. Cor-Bon makes some impressive rounds for tactical defense in the .380acp along with some of the other manufacturers, claiming ballistics as good as any .38spl.........and in a much more concealable package.

Someone said "lame 9mm" a ways back..........
We had a officer involved shooting a few years back (2006?)......Routine traffic stop, for some reason, the career criminal decided to jump out and and take cover behind his car door and engage the deputies.
One deputy had a 1911 .45acp the other a Beretta M9 (92) In the exchange that followed, deputy with .45 fired all 8.........none penetrated the car door, deputy with 9mm fired 5, all 5 penetrated the door, 2 penetrated the perp, ending his career permanently, on the spot...........never, never, say "lame 9mm".

Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
I agree with all of your statements..

But I dont plan on taking on a door.. although I guess a windshield is possible, in which case I dont believe a .45 up to the task..

Jsst the same, I'll keep her.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
I now remember more about that officer involved shoot-out..........The MENSA member who decided it would be good to take on 2 deputies, did so with 2 fine pistols.......a Lorcin .32acp pistol and a Jennings .380acp pistol.....He emptied the .32 at the SDs and was trying to get the .380 into action, when 2- 9mm rounds ended his time on earth......I was surprised the Lorcin.32 even was able to fire 7 rounds without jamming!

I think it was a case of suicide by cop, myself.

I carry a .380acp Walther PPKs, loaded with Cor-Bon +P 85gr JHPs @ 1085 fps, never felt under gunned, and a whole lot easier to carry than any thing I have ever carried before.

I feel the small pistol you actually carry, is FAR better than the major caliber you left at home because its a PITA to carry.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
I agree with all of your statements..

But I dont plan on taking on a door.. although I guess a windshield is possible, in which case I dont believe a .45 up to the task..

Jsst the same, I'll keep her.
Windshield are no problem for a .45 Pat. I have tried it before for work.

Originally Posted by Old93junk
I now remember more about that officer involved shoot-out..........The MENSA member who decided it would be good to take on 2 deputies, did so with 2 fine pistols.......a Lorcin .32acp pistol and a Jennings .380acp pistol.....He emptied the .32 at the SDs and was trying to get the .380 into action, when 2- 9mm rounds ended his time on earth......I was surprised the Lorcin.32 even was able to fire 7 rounds without jamming!

I think it was a case of suicide by cop, myself.

I carry a .380acp Walther PPKs, loaded with Cor-Bon +P 85gr JHPs @ 1085 fps, never felt under gunned, and a whole lot easier to carry than any thing I have ever carried before.

I feel the small pistol you actually carry, is FAR better than the major caliber you left at home because its a PITA to carry.
100% agreed.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:37 PM
ron86toy
Posting Guru
here is my old carry....cold defender .45.....loved the gun,easy to carry,pretty damn accurate even at 40yds with a 3.5 barrel...ammo was getting to expensive to go plinkin though.I have been looking for a .40 or maybe a 9mm...leaning towards an XP .40 cal....just go with what you feel comfortable with in your hand and shooting

Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Ammunition is never expensive when you load your own.

I get at least 7-10 reloads from straight walled brass and 5 from bottlenecks before I anneeal the necks and full length resize.

I don't believe I've bought commercial rounds for 5 years and I typically shoot 200-400 rounds a session.

Frankly, I don't care for commercial ammunition, especially Black Hills and Fioicchi. Both companies hot load rounds and case pressures are very high plus Black Hills uses dirty burning powder.

With commercial ammunition, you never know what is inside the brass as far as propellant, or what primer was used or how thw bullet was seated, the depth or how it was crimped (in the case of straight walled cartridges, so the ballistics can vary between boxes. With hand loads, the ballistics remain consistent because you know what the propellant is and how much (grains), because you put it there.

When you have control over the components, you have control over the ballistics. You can't attain that with any factory load except very high end ammunition.

I typically load brass at 30% of the retail cost of store bought ammunition with very consistent ballsitics but then, I'm not a casual plinker nor do I use a firearm for personal defense. Match target and benchrest rifle demand precision ballistics, you don't get that with factory loads.

Core Bond bullets suck by the way. You need to shoot some ballistic tipped polymer FMJ's.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
"Core Bond bullets suck by the way."
I assume you are referring to Cor-Bon brand ammunition?
Guess thats why the FBI and most major PDs use them.

I handload as well, but I disagree with your assessment that the high quality tactical ammo is erratic in uniformity, I have chronographed many factory loads and found them to be just as good in uniform velocity as any handload.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
300 Buster
Senior User
I think SidecarFlip was saying erratic except for "high end" ammo.As for Cor-Bon,I have never fired any,but I can tell that they take advantage of lighter bullets for increased velocity,and there is nothing wrong with that,but I like heavy bullets in pistols myself.I reload myself,almost 30 different calibers and with the absurd prices on ammo these days,my presses are turning gold to me.Every time scrap metal takes a hike in price they use that to raise the price and when it goes down,and it does,the ammo stays right where it's at.Of course product liability insurance because of frivilous law suits does not help either,or the liberals and their excise tax.

Quick Reply: CPL holders