1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So where did you find yours?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:25 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michigan Rick
Told my brother I wanted a panel.......back in 1980. He found this one sitting along side the road in Huntington Beach Calif. He had the kingpins done and drove it back to Michigan with a rats nest of red wires allover the place and his Harley in the back. Made it all but the last 35 miles. Lug nuts broke off the rear luckily right by a junk yard. In the morning he got some and drove it the rest of the way home for me.......cool brother . . . God rest his soul.

Michigan Rick
thank God for brothers...my older brother took me to ''see'' the truck.i chickened out on the way there but he told me not to be a wuzz.he hates old cars but he gave me the ride, and lend me money.he was pissed i bought it,my other brother is a welder so he helps me a lot.my gf supported me too.thanks shandie

Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michigan Rick
Told my brother I wanted a panel.......back in 1980. He found this one sitting along side the road in Huntington Beach Calif. He had the kingpins done and drove it back to Michigan with a rats nest of red wires allover the place and his Harley in the back. Made it all but the last 35 miles. Lug nuts broke off the rear luckily right by a junk yard. In the morning he got some and drove it the rest of the way home for me.......cool brother . . . God rest his soul.

Michigan Rick
What a great story. What would we do without cool brothers.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...funny story. So one day I was driving home from my future wife's parents house. I was headin south, and I saw this old *** truck out of the corner of my eye headin north. I thought...I would sure like an old truck like that one day. To my surprise, he pulled a U-turn and started to follow me. COOL! I slid into the gas station that I worked at the time, walked in the back and had a smoke with my friends...began to tell em the story about this truck. To my sheer amazement, it pulled in. I started dreaming with my friends about how much it would cost, what I would do with it...so on. An older gent hopped out and filled er up, came in for some coffee. A few minutes later, he went out to start it and all I saw was the headlights dim...somethin was up. I jokingly told my friends I was gonna go buy that truck for $300...which got a bunch of laughs cause we all watched it pull in and it was relatively solid. I walked out and started to talk with him, see what was wrong. He said it had been giving him fits and he was tired of it. He just bought it in GA for a ride home...thought it would be a neat little project. However, after a few states worth of driving he was ready to sell. He had me hanging from his every word at this point. I walked the truck over and remarked somethin to the effect of, sure wish I had the cash for it...how bout I get my truck and see if it'l take a jump. We tried everything, she just wasn't having it. Finally, he said to hell with it, told me the first $300 takes it. I walked in to the ATM, walked out and asked for the title. I made sure to tell my friends that I just bought it for $300.

We met back up the next morning to finalize the exchange. He had the title, and I gave him the cash. After a month of tinkering with the SBC, I realized it was the ignition control module causing it not to fire. I installed a new one, and it fired up. The rest is history...