Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dead flathead, imagine that

Old 01-16-2011, 02:37 PM
verch101
Freshman User
verch101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dead flathead, imagine that

Hey guys just found out that my flathead has a bad crack in the block running from one of the valves down to a cylinder. I am now thinking about going to a new motor design since I cant keep the original block. I know that the 289,302, and 351 Cleveland are good candidates. But I always see people use a c4,c5 or AOD transmission. I am really wanting to keep my truck manual, what would be the easiest motor/trans swap? Thanks guys and sorry if this is a repost, I tryed to look before posting.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
reed1951 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the flathead. I think the 302 or 351 might be the easiest swap motor wise. I'm running a 302/aod but mainly cause I want more room in the cab (no floor shift) someone will chime in with the manual trans knowledge here soon.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 PM
verch101
Freshman User
My real question is what is the best option on a 1949 f1. I just never see any information about manual transmissions. I know some people use the t5 out of an s-10 when they use the flathead. Would this work for a 289 or 302? Or is something like a T18 or T19 a better fit? A 5 speed would be nice, but not necessary. This truck wont see much highway time, so a four speed would work just fine.
I am going to try to use the Dana 41 rear-end that was already in the truck.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
The flathead can be repaired - stiched and sleeved

Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Hey verch why can't you find a newer ford pickup donor engine tranny combo? I would stick to the 289/302 if i was to backstep. I have a 351W and the problem with it is the width interferes with the steering. And I think you can find alot more 302 parts. I know the 351W/302 share some stuff but you can find all the 302 parts you want. plus my 351w is only rated at 210 hp. you can easily pull that out of a 302.
As far as tranny you can use one with the hydraulic clutch system,that would aviod some linkage issues but either way you would have to do something with the petals I think. hopefully others will jump in here and help out soon, as I am not the expert yet. but i am workin on it

Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
The very simplest thing is find another flathead block, there are still plenty of them. The only adapters made any more for the stock tranny are for SBC's, Olds engines, Caddy engines... nothing for 302's

Old 01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by verch101 View Post
My real question is what is the best option on a 1949 f1. I just never see any information about manual transmissions.
The reason so few people transplant manual transmissions into these trucks is because it's such a pita. The stock clutch linkage operates totally different from modern parts, so there's no retrofitting any of that at all. You'll have to invent something custom from scratch, be it mechanical, cable, or hydraulic, complete from the pedal itself to the throwout bearing. Next is the issue of working exhaust through whatever you build, and around the steering box, etc. It gets awfully crowded in that area real fast. That's why Ford ran their exhaust under the front of the engine and out the other side. So unless you really have to have that manual trans and are a glutton for punishment, you'll do what most folks do and opt for the easy and less expensive road and go automatic.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Back in the 50's and 60's and perhaps into the 70's there were adapter bell housings to use other engines running through a flathead transmission. My 49, Willard, had a 56 nailhead buick mated to the stock trans. The buick however was too much for the stock trans however after bolting in a HD 3 speed, it was fine. I do not know what is available today maybe someone else on the forum has some input. You might try another thread titled something like "small block ford into a flathead transmission?"

Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
verch101
Freshman User
Anyone know how much torque the original 3 speed on these trucks can take? Is this a decent trans? Or is this transmission prone to failure?

Also do the people that put a t5 on the flatheads change the clutch linkage? Is there a guide on here.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold4tl8ford is a splendid one to behold
Several T5-Flathead swap articles on this page + about all you need to know about Flatmotors

Techno Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by verch101 View Post
Anyone know how much torque the original 3 speed on these trucks can take? Is this a decent trans? Or is this transmission prone to failure?

Also do the people that put a t5 on the flatheads change the clutch linkage? Is there a guide on here.

I would not run much more than a hot flathead thru the stock light duty trans. I replaced parts in the origianl light duty flathead trans about 3 times before I found and installed a heavy duty 3 speed. That cured the problem. The 56 nailhead buick was a good motor, probably twice the torque of a stock flathead motor.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
be different and keep the flatty , either as dick said have it fixed or find another block . i'm keeping the one in my 53 . got a good 4.6 and auto , had two 390's and two 360's , a 302 and 351w i let go with another truck , and i got a 292 tucked away so i could've easily gone the new route but trust me ain't nothin' could take the place of my beloved flatty . not for the rumble , or driving enjoyment , the smiles per gallon , and they got more charm , character and personality than any dressed out newer one will ever have ....................

Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
I guess if I had a flathead v-8 to begin with, I would probably would have stayed with it..I have never been a fan of inline sixes even though there is nothing wrong with them. just like the sound of a v-8.
I will tell ya that when you decide to swap like what I am doing, you open A whole complete can of issues. its never as easy as it seems..

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
...I will tell ya that when you decide to swap like what I am doing, you open A whole complete can of issues. its never as easy as it seems..
That is exactly why I suggested staying with a flathead. It isn't just that I like flatheads!

A switch to anything except an original type motor means at a minimum: new front motor mounts (you'd want the front end off for this), trans crossmember surgery (means cab off, almost certainly) unless you stick with the stock trans, new trans mounts, new exhaust, major re-wiring, probable issues with gauges, 12v conversion, radiator rework or replacement, shifter? depends on trans used. Then there's the question of the condiition of the donor engine/trans, what are the chances they need nothing?

It is not a simple or cheap proposition. A fresh, crack free block in usable shape, a gasket set, throw in a set of rings, worst case you could be back in business for a little over a grand. Or like Dick/4tl8ford said, get the existing block stitched for $300 (?) and put it back together.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 PM
verch101
Freshman User
Albuq f-1 I already have the cab off, and the frame stripped. I already pulled off all of the wiring. Im at the place that a motor swap with a new trans actually make sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.