1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 Ranger ECU replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
bfromcolo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Ranger ECU replacement?

99 Ranger extended cab, 3.0 L V6, 4WD, 5 sp, flex fuel, 140k mi.

My truck died 60 miles from home, the shop it was towed to initially diagnosed flooding due to a temp sensor based on the code in the computer. They replaced the sensor and plugs, dried out the cylinders, and were still unable to restart the truck. They removed and re-installed the computer, and "whacked it", at which point the truck now appears to be operating normally.

The recommendation now is to replace the ECU part # XL5F-12A650-NE, only available via salvage for $75 (it took 3 days to get one so I guess they are not common). And there is a $200 charge from Ford to reprogram the anti-theft to work with my truck key since it came out of a different truck.

I will spare you my thoughts on Ford no longer stocking parts for a 12 year old vehicle.

As noted the truck is now running, so I am looking for some advice. Do I:
- get the truck back as is and hope this issue does not reoccur?
- get the truck back as is, and buy the used ECU from them for $75 to keep for just in case?
- pay $200 and $75 to have the used ECU reprogrammed? can I trust a used one more than the one in there now?

Is there anyway to unlock the anti-theft device in one of these ECUs without shelling out money to Ford?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
Originally Posted by bfromcolo
99 Ranger extended cab, 3.0 L V6, 4WD, 5 sp, flex fuel, 140k mi.

My truck died 60 miles from home, the shop it was towed to initially diagnosed flooding due to a temp sensor based on the code in the computer. They replaced the sensor and plugs, dried out the cylinders, and were still unable to restart the truck. They removed and re-installed the computer, and "whacked it", at which point the truck now appears to be operating normally.

The recommendation now is to replace the ECU part # XL5F-12A650-NE, only available via salvage for $75 (it took 3 days to get one so I guess they are not common). And there is a $200 charge from Ford to reprogram the anti-theft to work with my truck key since it came out of a different truck.

I will spare you my thoughts on Ford no longer stocking parts for a 12 year old vehicle.

As noted the truck is now running, so I am looking for some advice. Do I:
- get the truck back as is and hope this issue does not reoccur?
- get the truck back as is, and buy the used ECU from them for $75 to keep for just in case?
- pay $200 and $75 to have the used ECU reprogrammed? can I trust a used one more than the one in there now?

Is there anyway to unlock the anti-theft device in one of these ECUs without shelling out money to Ford?

Thanks
If you replace the ECU you'll have to get the PATS system reprogrammed for your truck. It wont start til you take it to ford and have them reprogram it for you

PATS= Passive anti-theft system

Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
bfromcolo
New User
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr
If you replace the ECU you'll have to get the PATS system reprogrammed for your truck. It wont start til you take it to ford and have them reprogram it for you

PATS= Passive anti-theft system
Yes I know that's what a Ford dealer in Denver wants $200 for. Is there any alternative?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
99offroadrngr
Junior User
nope. the truck wont turn over

Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
At this point, my advice is to save your money. It's highly unlikely that the ECU (i.e, "PCM") is at fault, unless it was some sort of moisture problem.

What was the trouble code the shop pulled?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
bfromcolo
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
At this point, my advice is to save your money. It's highly unlikely that the ECU (i.e, "PCM") is at fault, unless it was some sort of moisture problem.

What was the trouble code the shop pulled?
The original code they pulled was for a failed temperature sensor. They deduced that this was causing the engine to flood and fouled the spark plugs. But after they replaced those and dried out the cylinders they still could not get the truck restarted. At which point somehow removing, reinstalling and whacking the computer fixed something, maybe a bad connection.