Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

GAS PRICES

Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BACAGrizz View Post
The same here. I decided to keep the 289 and got rid of the 460 and C-6 for $200.00. I put it on Craig's list and couldn't even get a scammer to bite. A friend of mine took it off my hands for me. The other option would have been scrapping it.

The last time the 289 ran it was getting 16 mpg @65 mph. I think I can improve on that number with EFI and some horsepower gains.

I have noticed with my bikes that up to a point, the more power I got from it, the better my mileage was. I think it's because a more powerfiul engine didn't have to work as hard to maintain the same speed as the less powerful engine so you didn't have to open the throttle as much.
I think the cheapest and most satisfying path in your case would be to sell the 289 and drop in a 5.0 complete with factory EFI. It is easy to find complete engines for $500 with the harness and computers, and you get the benefit of roller lifters (no ZDDP worries), better heads, and only 13 more c.i.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:50 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
just filled my wife's suburban...120 bucks of regular ..yah it was on fumes,,,but it is only a 23 gallon tank...every 2 weeks

Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
dalmeida is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage View Post
I always advocate for the most efficient powertrain combination and usually with fuel injection. The other member prefers the largest, loudest gas-sucking behemoth he can find just on principle and claims that he could care less about gas prices. I wonder how long attitudes like that will continue after it costs $100 to fill a 20 gallon tank in a vehicle that only takes you 200 miles on a tank?
Although I'm not sure how efficient it is vis a vis a fully tuned EFI solution I decide to stay with a nearly stock 351W and a Holley 2bl. I wonder where the $1000-2000 cost of all the EFI and the matched engine components makes it a cost effective conversion solution. At 5-8 dollars a gallon probably a few dozen tank fulls

Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
A junkyard car or truck donor. Swap the whole mess.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 PM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by havi View Post
A junkyard car or truck donor. Swap the whole mess.
Exactly. There is no need to shell out big bucks for EFI. A careful shopper can scrounge up a good running parts car for $500 or less and have everything he needs including the engine and transmission. The carcass can be scrapped afterwards to recoup nearly all that initial investment also. I'm not saying that EFI is the only way, either. A well tuned carb setup can net good fuel economy and power also. My point is that I think the days of the fuel swigging 700 pound big blocks are going to soon come to a close for anythin besides a pure show car.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
sorry guy's I have a 428 with a 6-pac to go in my 68 Ranchero GT..my drug of choice..102 octane....illegal as hell but you can still get it at the airport...you can't beat a big block multi carb set-up..for fun ...and I don't need a computer to figger out what is wrong..