wipers...lubeing - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wipers...lubeing

Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
wipers...lubeing

is there anything you can do to speed up vacume wipers???mine work..slowly I have sprayed grafite on the piviots but I think it's the motor it's self that needs loosing up..but I don't want to destroy it with the wrong lube..silicone???grafite wd 40???what have you tried??

Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
I would wonder first how much vacuum you have, and where you're getting your vacuum from? When you turn the ****, does it go from slow to slower? There should be an infinite adjustment for speed. I would look at all other avenues before tearing into the vacuum motor itself. There is no maintenance required, or recommended, internally for them.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
vacuum is good .hooked in the normal place on the manifold.. it moves slow ..and slower.. but snaps back when you turn it off and goes to park ..the truck has been parked for a long time..It seems to run better each time I take it out , but the wipers don't seem to be getting any faster...just trying not to wreck anything trying to get it working better..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
r_reed
Posting Guru
r_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to beholdr_reed is a splendid one to behold
if you google "vacuum wiper repair" you'll find some repair instructions. some have leather seals inside that may have dried up and can be rehabbed, etc. i guess it comes down to how bad they are and how much you want them to be better. also, how much do you need them in your area? some fte's just put rainex on the windshield and go with it. good luck, dick r.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 AM
k-member
Junior User
k-member is starting off with a positive reputation.
Before I found my electric motor at the swap, find a good solid vacuum source, get new vacuum hose, and Vaseline up the leather diaphragm in side wiper unit and they should work real nice.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I bought a nice electric conversion kit for my 53 some years ago that completely replaced the OEM vacuum setup, worked great but it was a bit pricey. Just happened to do a search on electric conversions and found this http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort. I have never been a fan of vacuum wipers so for me this is the preferred option.

Looks like this link doesn't work, the P/N is NEW5355FT and it is available from Parr Automotive street rod parts.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
Fordman49F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Funny this should come up...just the other day I was telling the story about how my good friend and I took the '49 to it's first show together. We went to Ducktail Run. The drive was peaceful and enjoyable, sunny with a brisk wind. In the evening hours it started to look like rain, so we let out. About 10 minutes outside of town, it was full on raining. I have no wiper arm or blade, no vacuum hooked up, and no hood. We hit every gas station on the way home looking for rain x. The last station we hit was the last one on the way home and we finally found it.I have never been without it since!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 AM
k-member
Junior User
k-member is starting off with a positive reputation.
Even with electric wipers, rain X is FAMILY! And I have a 4"inch chop, so not much left to wipe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.