strange noise durring accelerating - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange noise durring accelerating

Old 02-21-2017, 08:48 PM
New User

renato matos is starting off with a positive reputation.
F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by awq134 View Post
This has happened about half a dozen times while accelerating. It sounds sort of like it's between a scratching noise and a rattling noise. It's only happened at highway speeds 50-60 mph while accelerating and will stop when i let off the gas. there have been a few times that i can get it to come back if i step on the throttle again, but will not duplicate every time. any ideas?
​​​​​​ did you find out what is making the noise in your truck my truck is making the same thing I have no idea what's wrong with it and I took to a Ford dealership they told me to change the tie rod and a vacuum line and solenoid for the 4x4 and it's still not working
Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 AM
New User

stephenfontana is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same exact problem at 135K miles.... I read the forums and told the mechanic about vacuum leaks and actuators and MAFs etc. He took truck for a ride, stopped, went under truck, banged on muffler a bit, adjusted a heat sheild that lies over muffler, and sound is gone, ...for now. So I dodged a bullet, but that isn't to say it's not a vacuum leak as I can't shift into L4 in winter So I might have to bring it in this fall season.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM

meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.meborder has a spectacular reputation.
Vacuum has no effect on the operation of 4L everything at the transfer case is electric. A vacuum problem would affect 4h and 4l equally.

Are you shifting to neutral with the truck at a full stop to go into low range?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:07 PM
New User

JeffLaf is starting off with a positive reputation.
rattling locks

Check your vacuum operated front hub locks. My 04 F150 was making a similar noise. To me it sounded like I was dragging a dog chain under the truck. It is actually the hub locks loosing vacuum and trying to engage while driving. Try switching to 4X4 HI when it's making the noise that should stop it. If so replace the hub lock, I recommend changing both. If one happens to still be good keep it as a spare.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Freshman User

Blue_Oval1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awq134 View Post
This has happened about half a dozen times while accelerating. It sounds sort of like it's between a scratching noise and a rattling noise. It's only happened at highway speeds 50-60 mph while accelerating and will stop when i let off the gas. there have been a few times that i can get it to come back if i step on the throttle again, but will not duplicate every time. any ideas?
I had a loud groaning/creaking noise from my '11 4x4, it came on very predictably when accelerating, particularly from a stop, and would sometimes also give a brief creak on decelerating. The local Ford dealer correctly diagnosed it as the stock muffler disintegrating. FYI, the service manager noted Ford only sells the entire cat-back exhaust system for 12th generation trucks and recommended I go to a local muffler shop and get a Magnaflow or get an FRPP cat-back system, depending on if I wanted to spend $250 or $1250.