Battery isolater wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 07:47 PM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery isolater wiring help

My Dad got me an isolater to install in my truck. I am going to be putting on a winch, have had problems with the ignition batt getting drained, so he suggested and then bought me a isolator. The unit he purchased is a "all-around" type that can be wired to hook into just about any RV or truck.
Dennis (mil1ion) forwarded me some schematics, however I am still timid about hook-up and then trusting it. The instructions are 7 in 1 and more than a little confusing to me, the super novice.

My main questions relate to :

A)The wire from the alternator to isolator.

B) then from the isolator through the relay to battery #1 connection?.

1) On which alternator post do I connect the wire to isolator terminal for that line?
1)The thick black labeled"batt" ?

2) Or the red labeled "flo"?
Or
3) the white labeled "sta"?

I figure black as that is the line out to the battery. If this is correct, where do I go?

On my ignition battery, the positive line goes to the starter relay. From the starter relay it goes into the bundle where I figure it must go back to the starter and then up to the alt, (going backwards from battery).

Do I run my line from alternator post of (?), to the incoming side of the starter relay?

Does the battery charge through the relay during run-time?

There is no direct line from the alt to either battery.
Battery #2 is connected + to + of batt #1 via long 2 gauge line. Both are grounded to frame/motor. There is a line from positive of batt #1 to relay, do I leave that?

How do I get from the isolator terminal for battery 1 over to battery 1 through the starter relay?
Battery 2 is easy. Sorry for length, just want to be sure, supposed to be simple right?

I'm probably over thinking it as usual. My knowledge of charging system is very weak also, any teachers out there? Thanks for any thoughts, later, Blair

Old 03-05-2003, 09:05 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, You made me learn how to draw!

1) Battery Terminal of Alternator to Center terminal or Flow terminal of isolator. (Not *S = Stator)

The wire that presently runs from the alternator to the stater solenoid has to be CUT >

Now, the wire from the ALT now goes to the isolator >

The other wire running to the starter solenoid connects to one of the other terminals of the isolator.

2) One of the terminals from Isolator to the starter solenoid connection with + post of Main Battery Cable side.

3) Other terminal of Isolator to + Post of AUX Battery.

What brand name and model of isolator did you get?

I understand you want to run the winch from the AUX battery.
Does this winch have a remote switch or on the unit?

If it doesn't have a remote switch you need:

A heavy cable from from the + post of the AUX battery goes to
one side of a relay for the winch.

Another heavy wire from the relay to the winch

A smaller wire with an in-line switch to actuate the winch.

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 03-06-2003, 11:14 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much Dennis. I don't consider myself a idiot, but was really confused by my directions. How can they put out something that tries to cover everything all at once and not realize it may be confusing to some. Many, many thanks for the drawing, it is great, Mike W. said it all, worth a thousand words and just as many minutes of me scratching my head. The isolater is a "Noco" brand, I don't know if it's reputable or not. The winch is a large Warn unit, I don't know the model number for conversation but it does have a remote start switch. Thanks, again, you made it easy now. Later Blair