6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
View Poll Results: Which 5th wheel hitch is best
Pullrite superglide
19.05%
B&W
28.57%
Reese
26.19%
other
26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

5TH wheel hitch Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 PM
RPARKER559
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5TH wheel hitch Poll

Ok I will be buying a 5th wheel hitch in the very new future for my 2011 SWB.. I thought I had made a decision until I started reading everybodies post here. Man, more opinions than my wife !
I was going to go with Pullright super glide.

Which is truley the best? and why? Pullrite? B W? Reese? any others?

Old 01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are looking for a slider, PullRite is the best. It is the only slider that is completely automatic. From normal travel to full slide to the rear the head moves 14".

It is extremely well made and very smooth operating. It is heavy, about 250 pounds.

If you get the Super rails you can have a clean bed when the hitch is removed. That system uses 4 - 1 1/4" pins that the rails sit on. The hitch then sits on the rails

And I am not just saying this because I just happen to have a 18K Super Glide for sale.

If a Goose neck might be in future PullRite makes a goose neck adapter for the Super Rials.

The other hitches you mentioned - those that use them tend to swear they are the best. Personal preference.
For non sliders the B&W turnover seems to be a very popular choice, I don't particularly care for how it works though.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You didn't state how much you're towing. I have a 16k Husky and have had excellant service from it.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
I also have a 16k Husky slider and I am very happy with it so far. Haven't had to use the slider out of necessity yet... just used it to practice a little. The price of this hitch is also much more appealing than a pullrite.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duane,

I am curious as to what you do not like about the B&W Companion combo. I only ask because in all the rv hitch posts I have seen that mention the B&W. not one unhappy customer. I have one and have zero complaints and a lot of praise for the setup.

Regards

Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM
jim48
Elder User
SuperGlide

I have a 2011 cab/chassis on order. So, don't need my 16K SuperGlide any more. New rig is getting a Super 5th. Great hitches. Let me know if I can help, old one for sale...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been hesitant to vote on this poll. I voted B&W because it best meets my needs, but I would not say that it is the absolute best. From a purely fifth wheel hitch standpoint there are better hitches available. For the money and versatility, I'll stick with my B&W.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
jim48
Elder User
I think there quite a few good hitches on the market. I just happened to love the strength and quality of craftsmanship in Pullrite products. Still USA made and the engineering department at the factory have been very helpful in advising me on the Super 5th installation that will happen when my 2011 F350 cab/chassis is built the 17th of this month. I have marvelled at the operation of my SuperGlide in my 04 F250 SRW. These hitches are heavy, but built to last. The downside is the price. Would use the SuperGlide in the new truck, but have decided to just sell it and go Super 5th. The SuperRails also allow for clean truck bed use when not needed for towing. Just my thoughts!!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by rickatic
Duane,

I am curious as to what you do not like about the B&W Companion combo. I only ask because in all the rv hitch posts I have seen that mention the B&W. not one unhappy customer. I have one and have zero complaints and a lot of praise for the setup.

Regards
Best I can tell from what I have read and seen:
It appears that all of the vertical pin weight is set on a saddle that sits on a mount that is inserted into the gooseneck mount.

So although all vertical weights are supported by the hitch and truck frame any lateral forces also have to be supported by the same gooseneck attachment. So it also appears that any lateral forces in excess of the gooseneck mount are transferred from the hitch frame to the trucks bed.

Yes - no?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Although the Companion base is attached to the truck via the goose neck portal, it is pulled down tightly against the truck box by the vertical bolt on the Companion. This bolt is tightened to 40 ft pounds after releasing the under fender lock pin. Then the U bolts are torqued to 80 ft pounds each. IIRC, the goose neck pull rating for the B&W is 28000 pounds. The Companion is rated at 18000 pounds. There is some concern at B&W about excessive twisting motion on the Companion hitch but only in the context of using a Sidewinder pin box. B&W specifically mentions this limitation. Sidewinder has a separate set of instructions regarding using their pin box with a Companion. Sidewinder wants at least 2 of the Companion base legs bolted through the bed. Your points are well taken but seem to be answered completely by B&W's engineering and the virtual 100% owner satisfaction.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

I'm sure with all the positive reviews, and I don't recall ever reading a less then positive, the the hitch is well engineered/designed.

It is just my perception of the operation that I don't care for. That is why there are plenty of other designs out there. Not much different then the Ford/GM/Dodge "my truck is better then your truck" camps.

Does the bed of your truck show any signs of distortion either while the hitch is bolted down or after it is removed?

Just for a comparison, my new hitch plate sits about 1/8" above the bed.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

And as far as the sidewinder goes - I am of the same type of opinion. And since you mentioned it (sidewinder concerns) I can see why there would be concerns.
I don't like the way that system works and personally would not use it.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I actually have a Ford bedliner in my box. The Companion sits on top. No problems with either truck and 15000 miles of use.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pullrite for me though is it the best. . .

I have the 16K SuperGlide for my Raptor toyhauler. Also have the SuperRails in order to completely remove the hitch from the bed when needed. This hitch is just about 90 lbs. The two super rails add another 35 to 40 lbs for the pair.

I installed a 880 lb capacity Harbor Freight hoist in the garage and use couple 6' - 7' nylon lifting straps to lift the hitch from the bed.

For me the Pullrite was the best option and I like that it is 100% USA made. Is the Pullrite the best hitch out there? I believe there are a number of good companies and hitches but for me the SuperGlides performance and strength was what I was looking for. Price is a big factor for most folks includeing myself, and the Pullrite isn't cheap. I don't know how anyone can say a certain hitch is better than another since most are pretty well made and work as they are suppose to.

I hope this helps and ave a great New Year.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

There are a couple hitches now that are imported copies. Now you really have to pay attention

Quick Reply: 5TH wheel hitch Poll