Front valance panel and snow - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Front valance panel and snow

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-01-2011, 01:33 AM
porthole
Posting Guru
porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.

350 DRW's seem a little bit lower then SRW's
That valance panel seems a little big for the way it is attached.

24" of snow outside of my driveway, 35 miles to work, and someone at the firehouse said "hey whats that thing hanging off the truck?"

Attached Images   
Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Nipperdog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's called an "Air Dam" and it's purpose is to reduce air turbulance under your truck thereby slightly increasing your MPGs. The one on my 08 was only about 3 inches tall, but the ones on the 11 look like the great wall of China. From the looks of the snow in your locale, I would leave it off untill the spring. BTW I like those chrome towhooks think I'll order a set. Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 AM
porthole
Posting Guru
porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.porthole has a great reputation on FTE.
Air dam - valance either or, it does both.
I'll take a picture of it when I make the repair, the panel covers a wire harness that hangs below the sheet metal.

And with the size of these trucks I doubt it does much for mileage.

Think I will have to make this one into a winter version and get a new one for the spring time.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Sgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant futureSgt93 has a brilliant future
Sorry it happened. Your rig is gorgeous! I really wish I had a dually. I don't need one but.....who cares! lol

Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future720Deere has a brilliant future
I have been wondering how well that was going to work in snow. Last winter, my 06 pushed through some pretty deep drifts with no issues. I figured the air dam was going to be a problem in deep snow.

I don't know if it would fit or even if they are available, but maybe the shorter version from a Job 1 08 truck would do a better job for you.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 AM
rcklnhunter
Junior User
rcklnhunter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't know if you saw the threads regarding the valance. You can either cut it down easily or buy one to fit the 2wd truck. The 4wd version like your drops down 7" and the 2wd is 4".

Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Heck, make one out of 1/4" steel and drop it another couple inches and you can knock down the snow to about 4" before you run your snow blower.

Seriously though, Ford should def. make the 2WD valance readily available for swapping out.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
you don't want to cut it down nor put a 2wd short one on it.
it's purpose is to reduce wind drag.it wants to be as low as the front diff on the 4wd in order to do its job properly.
just remove it in bad weather.they do work well at saving fuel.
you just need to be mindful,and remove it when required.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-econ...cations.php#45
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
Sorry it happened. Your rig is gorgeous! I really wish I had a dually. I don't need one but.....who cares! lol
snow season is no time to wish for a dually.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Sportscraft is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wish J&J was still in business -their stainless air dams would look great on these trucks! I'm thinking of doing the 2wd valance and chrome tow hook conversion on mine.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
fatboydiesel
Senior User
fatboydiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
I don't need a dually either but I'm on my 5th

Old 01-01-2011, 05:40 PM
porthole
Posting Guru
Fixed the air dam. For driving 35 miles to work there was very little worn off the edge.

Replaced all the J-nuts and push pins with 7 1/4 20 x 3/4 long stainless bolts, nuts and fender washers. Left the J-nuts and push pins off.

Should be stronger now so that the next time I do this it will break off completely.

2nd picture shows (not very well) that the air dam is doing more then moving air, it also covers a wire harness.

Attached Images   
Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM
BRUTUSIII
Junior User
BRUTUSIII is starting off with a positive reputation.
I tore the one off my '10 last winter here in MD. I backed off a snow bank and my wife pulled my license plate out of the bank. Later I heard something dragging, and had to pull it off at a rest stop. I went six months without it, then fixed it. Didnt notice any difference with or without it.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM
IHbase
Elder User
IHbase has a good reputation on FTE.IHbase has a good reputation on FTE.
You need at least a 450 to commute to work.

-mike

Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
lukezee
New User
lukezee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by porthole View Post

Replaced all the J-nuts and push pins with 7 1/4 20 x 3/4 long stainless bolts, nuts and fender washers. Left the J-nuts and push pins off.

Should be stronger now so that the next time I do this it will break off completely.

2nd picture shows (not very well) that the air dam is doing more then moving air, it also covers a wire harness.

Same problem here. It just happened, so, luckily no damage other than the ripped slots.
I was thinking of using sheet metal and riveting it to the underside of the Air Dam and using the factory J-clips through the metal, that should stop it from riping out. But your idea is much easier!!

I wonder, has anyone tried to relocate that wiring that gets exposed?

Great Forum!! Just Joined

Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
BTyner41
Senior User
BTyner41 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to the club lukezee

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front valance panel and snow

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: