1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wheel not centered in opening

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
orcas tow
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would make sure your camber/caster is close before you cut/move anything, caster will move your wheel forward/backward a bit when adjusted.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thepitshop
heres a bit of reading material for you! might help you a bit
1953 Ford F-100 - Classic Trucks Magazine
A good reference! That is the modification I was remembering but didn't know from where. I really like the look.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
POS-F500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B/B ford
A good reference! That is the modification I was remembering but didn't know from where. I really like the look.
Me too! I've seen a lot of these trucks with the stock fenders and the wheels mounted too far back and it's not appealing to me.

But to 56panelFord, to the pic you started the thread with... I like the look. Looks better slightly forward anyday of the week. Unless you want to do all the the fender modification done in the previous link... I'd keep it the way it is.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
homade
Posting Guru
56panelford, go to the thread about the movie "Expendables" and go down about 5 or 6 post and look how much better your truck looks than the wheel openings on the black truck, way too nose heavy, yours looks a whole lot better in my openion, Garry

Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Originally Posted by POS-F500
Me too! I've seen a lot of these trucks with the stock fenders and the wheels mounted too far back and it's not appealing to me.

But to 56panelFord, to the pic you started the thread with... I like the look. Looks better slightly forward anyday of the week. Unless you want to do all the the fender modification done in the previous link... I'd keep it the way it is.
I went back out to the shop and made sure the wheels were sitting straight forward and aligned as mentioned by orcas tow and remeasured and it's only offset by 7/8" of an inch, too much work for the little I think I'll gain. If I could have the fellow who did the work to the truck in the article do my fenders then maybe, don't think I want to risk screwing up these fenders. So I guess I'll leave well enough alone and live with it.
Thanks homemade and POS-F500 for your positive feedback and thepitstop for the link. Thanks all for helping me make up my mind,lol

Old 12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by POS-F500

See what you mean homemade, this isn't pretty.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM
2losteve
Senior User
Is all of the weight on the suspension in that first photo? - as in, the engine/trans, batt., radiator, etc.,. If there is more weight to be added and the suspension collapsed more then the wheel should move upward & towards the rear. Could it be possible to add a little more 'caster' to it when aligned?

Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Just another thought..if the rear wheel is centered in the rear opening, and you don't like the look, you might consider moving "it" fwd to match the front..I like the fwd look myself, kinda makes it look fast while standing still..and it follows the front fender/headlite angle in a side view.
You could do this by relocating the rear axle, or by cutting and moving the opening as described in the roadster shop article. If you don't want to cut up those new front fenders..try it on an older set...then ,what have you got to loose.I seem to remember an article,maybe by the same roadster shop crew, of "widening" the rear fenders also..using the same techniques. I know that may not help you with your panel rear fenders..but might be an option your next pick-up project..

Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
You are doing it darkside style anyway. I will stick my neck out and say don't jump to conclusions! I like it! Hey dare to be different! it might be the first of many to come!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Dr G
Senior User

Interesting thread.

My 56 recently underwent a pretty big transformation. One of the things we did is move the front axle forward 4 inches. The openings in the fenders were moved forward at the same time. Along with moving the engine back and modifying the firewall a bit, the #1 cylinder is now behind the front axle centerline. This is an early pic, before a lot of the other stuff got done, comparing the general look to how if was when I first got the truck. The front wheels are turned right a bit, so the wheel looks farther forward than it really is.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That, is a Great look!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Dr G
Interesting thread.

My 56 recently underwent a pretty big transformation. One of the things we did is move the front axle forward 4 inches. The openings in the fenders were moved forward at the same time. Along with moving the engine back and modifying the firewall a bit, the #1 cylinder is now behind the front axle centerline. This is an early pic, before a lot of the other stuff got done, comparing the general look to how if was when I first got the truck. The front wheels are turned right a bit, so the wheel looks farther forward than it really is.

Did you also switch the wheel openings from side to side? Looks that way to me

Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Dr G
Senior User

Originally Posted by 56panelford
Did you also switch the wheel openings from side to side? Looks that way to me
Correct. We mocked it up and decided it might look good that way. The openings are not symetric so this does change the look a bit. I thought it helped take away that 'bulbous' look to the nose, but that's just my opinion. Another custom mod I'd like to try is to narrow the running boards a couple inches, and maybe raise them a tad too. Looking at the truck with no running boards on it made me realize how cool the fenders look. But the somewhat droopy running boards take away from that a bit, again only my opinion.

Gustave

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I haven't thought about it until this thread, but I like the forward look better.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
I had the same problem, I moved my wheel opening forward about 1 3/4". It started as a error on my part, but I'm very happy with the look now. as stated before it takes away the heavy nose look of the original.

pics
1954 Ford F100 4x2 - Cab, Frontend, first fit up

Quick Reply: Wheel not centered in opening