Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rich's 71 now has a 76 Trail Wing Man

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 01:24 PM
77&79F250
Received 3,354 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Rich's 71 now has a 76 Trail Wing Man

Ok so here it is, my son in law just went and picked it up this weekend. Wow has it been rode hard and.....well never put away at all. Lol I know it needs some work to make it LOOK better body wise, no problem there. At least it start, runs, shifts, stops and steers, so we are ahead already in my book. I know it needs 1 front axle shaft (blown u joint), and a front d/s. A replacement axle came with it, and as far as the front D/S....no problem I have parts.

I also know the OEM steering box has been drilled and tapped and has 2 lines going to a hyd ram attached to the tie rod. He said it steers great. The red pipe you see in the last pic (going down the passenger side frame rail) is going to the radiator w/elec fans in the back. And yes the leaf spring flip and axle stretch back set up is interesting to say the least. It is a cantilever design with 2 extra links added.

Front grill/core support was cut to fit a winch, I have replacements for him. I even have some way better front fenders, core support and a grill too. I also have some rear quarters we could stretch to fit to get it looking a little bit more like a Bronco in the back end. It has regular width truck axles under it and yes he needs more trailer. All in due time.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:14 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
reminds me of those ICON bronks - no bronco left.
This 1 has the frame, 9 inch and hood left?

What's the deal w/upside dwn leafs - a new 1 on me...
Yup - "I lub me some pic!" any kind~

Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 PM
77&79F250
"And yes the leaf spring flip and axle stretch (move) back set up is interesting to say the least. It is a cantilever design with 2 extra links added." You can see them in the side shot.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:27 PM
77&79F250
Well more pics and a growing list of stuff to clean up. Found the computer, and a transfered over fuse box.

5.0 EFI and a wiring nightmare. But no carb issues when off roading.

Yes the zip tie and the spring hooked are to the throttle body...... And a common p/s pump extension.

But it has a pair of swivel drink holders. And some easy to reach twin stick xfer case handles.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:59 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
U say it was/is running?
What's top side opposite the alternator (is an empty bracket now).
And I thought the ol DSII box (I guess this did not use that) was mounted (traditionally) on the dwn slope of the driver's fender (back side). I am 'updating' my '70/7 to that system.
Last, I like it as efi & serp frnt dress. It sits on the bronk or the efi's motor mounts & towers? If I ever swap out the 4.1L for a bent8 I'll look to something like this ( I'll use early 2nd gen).

Old 09-14-2020, 02:15 AM
77&79F250
Runs like a raped ape. Steer's easy a pie and stops on a dime. So making good vacuum for the power brakes. The added hyd steering ram is working as intended.

Empty bracket looks like where the a/c compressor went. (?) I think if you get a motor with one, I'd leave it on and convert compressor to provide "on board air".

Yes on a 77-79 Ford truck with electronic ignition using a Duraspark II set up, it has an Ignition Module mounted to the dvrs side inner fenderwell in a vertical position. That is where the wiring harness places it. Also away from a ton of heat over there.

When I converted ol Red from points to electronic ign. I used a Duraspark II distributor and mounted the IM on the passenger side inner fender well flat part. Next to the coil, starter solenoid, voltage regulator and battery.

I do like the EFI just to avoid any carb issues out on the trail. No idea on what motor mounts or towers used. Remember ol red looks pretty much the same, but this one runs, so the easy part is just cleaning up the wiring mess.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:49 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
"...it has an Ignition Module mounted to the dvrs side inner fenderwell in a vertical position. That is where the wiring harness places it...."
no 'harness' on this 1 as it's too old for DSII - doin an upgrade.

I'm lookin right now at Radio Shack for a alu heat sink (I have the 'paste'). The dizzy plug came w/it might stretch to the fender. Think the late bronk had it mounted on frnt (slope) or back of the wheel well (4 possibilities frnt/back/top/side). May B the top (flat) but unlikely as the jack was there. I have a hydraulic valve there anyway. So did they come on that 'side' rather than the frnt or back?
Remember my ol "Thunderbird" (predecessor to the Bonnivelle for the Triumph Motorcycle Co). Hada 'dynamo' rather than alternator or generator. A big ol Rectifier was hung way out frnt (only headlght breakin da wind B4 it) to fling off the heat from it's electrical duties. May be I'll hang this similarly...
I havea gm "4 pin" in the shop. I'll go to that 'hybrid' (like 'go fast for less' dot com) if the ford blue strain relief box ever goes. Smaller, less heat, easier sourced, smoother under-hood look, carry-a-spare possibilities, cheep, etc. Just as hi-performance. Some even use the mopower 'orange box' (I think they were 1st w/the 'electronic points' upgrade). Coil's remote too (will get rid of this alternator regulator & solenoid soon. Just need '96 up ford mini starter & ford 3G [1 wire] alternator ).

*Did they change out the steer linkage? '76/7 had an improved "Y" link that helped on road. Most put the "T" of earlier yrs ('66/75) or the p/u's to get it right for 'off'. I just puta 'adjust sleeve' on the other end of my '70. Put 1 up on the other bar and dumped the oe from my '77. *What's the track bar mount on the axel lo0k like (76/7?). *What pitman arm? I'm sure U will B checkin ALL aspects of ur new rig out but those might B anything right now/considerations for upgrade (like the steer box U did!).

Old 09-14-2020, 03:13 PM
77&79F250
I thought that the EB did not come with a Duraspark II, points only. I know I am so ashamed that I do not know my EB history better. Or did it in 76-77 have a DSII? I have not seen a OEM Duraspark II set up on a late year EB. I was talking where they mount the IC on late year 77 to 79 Ford truck.

I believe it is a crossover setup, so pitman arm-link to passenger side steering knuckle flat top set up (top) then standard drag link knuckle to knuckle. No Y or T. Trac bar is back in there. He is taking pics, but not the all the details we need. Lol Remember I am 8000 miles away from it.

And was told by the son in law that the PO said it has Highboy axles (regular width truck axle for the front and rear). Lol But it is an 5 lug, and we all know that a HB did not come 5 lugs and or did not come with a 9" rear axle. Besides it looks like a high pinion (HB are low pinion) and the steering u-joints are visible so I am thinking 77 D44 F150 axle.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:45 PM
cofferjl
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like it will be fun. If it was me I think I would start with the wiring for sure. Rats nest wiring is one of my pet peeves for sure.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:13 PM
77&79F250
Yes he has some work ahead of himself to clean things up, all in due time.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:53 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like awesome and a bunch of fun! Drink holders are a strong selling point for sure.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:22 PM
77&79F250
Going to be taken this weekend to an FTE member/good friends shop and get the snapped inner axle replaced, new front d/s built. Steering box seals and then a 100% nut- bolt check. And hope to get the squirrels nest wiring cleaned up too. I have also ordered him some all black seat covers.

I also researched some proper twin stick set ups. Have to see if it is a J or T shift xfer case.
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/prod...ord-bronco-new

Old 10-08-2020, 10:39 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
nope.
Time to spread the vendorship around. Like 2 C BCB, WH's, Duff's gettin some more $...
Here's a small time guy wid da best product on THIS mod...
https://jb-custom-fabrication.myshopify.com

Thnx 4 helpin ur buddy, Rich. We all need community, bro-hood!

Old 10-08-2020, 11:14 PM
77&79F250
Duff got my money for the steering box support truss. Mainly because for being the only place I could find that had it. I read about it in some thread somewhere. They do not even show it on their web page, you have to ask about it. Thanks for the link, I believe I had them saved in my favorites list already. I need to figure out just what xfer case he has and go from there. My red Bronco is a T shift, the tube Bronco is a J shift....I am thinking the red Bronco needs one for the abilities you get with a twin stick.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:41 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
visit ALL vendors

Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Duff got my money for the...
Glad 2 C it.
may B just my desire, not others. I C this one a lill too much and
wanna C the others 'get it' too (Nick's Tricks, JBfab, BCB, Jeff's,
anybody but BHut & Mr.P).

Quick Reply: Rich's 71 now has a 76 Trail Wing Man