Gibson or Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 07:28 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibson or Flowmaster

01 Offroad;

Thanks for the input. Like yourself I did not want the rear exit because everyone else is doing that. Also with the gibson duals (except sport truck, and swept) you need to remove the spare tire, which I didn't like either. I heard a couple of clips on the web and it did sound nice. Gibson claims that the swept side is 4 to 6 db louder which makes it about twice the noice. Now Fords are extremely quite so I am not sure if twice as loud is loud. I prefer mellow, I don't want to be heard a mile away. Plus I want to be able to talk in the cab.

Keep me posted.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisY; 04-01-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:35 PM
dtg316
New User
Gibson or Flowmaster

kicking both pipes out the side, will that effect the sound?

Old 04-01-2003, 08:00 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

dtg316;

I don' think two pipes would make a truck louder, The only research I have done is on the web. It is tough to buy something that you have not heard and there are so many combinations that people are using it gets tiring shopping around. First I like Gibson because the price was good and there web site is so easy to use in comparison to everyrone elses. Point on the style you like and see how it fits on the truck. They give you all kind of footnotes to see what needs to be modified to install. My opinion this site is going to sell the product to me just because of the fact of ease and of course quality.

Chris

Old 04-01-2003, 08:24 PM
01offroad
Freshman User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Chris,
Sounds to me you are looking for the same thing I was.. It sounds mellow... You wont be heard a mile away... You can talk to someone in the cab or on the cell phone or whatever, easily.. And it seems to me made very well.. Fits great and everything slid together with ease (no mallet required)!!!

Old 04-01-2003, 08:35 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

01 offroad.

It appears that we werrre looking for the same characterists. Let me know more as you begin driving it. Let me know if you actually felty any torque differences or smoothness in the power delivery?

Where did you buy your exhaust from? Like yourself I live in NY. Utica, and I may be interested in getting the stainless version. I have got the same price from Summit and another place of about $415 amd $290 for aluminized.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:07 AM
01offroad
Freshman User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Chris,
I'll let you know if I actually feel any difference in torque. I live a little west of Syracuse, close to Auburn. I bought this from my brother, he is a sales guy for a major supplier of after market parts and stuff. So, I get a huge break on parts..

Old 04-02-2003, 03:30 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Todd;

Keep me posted how the exhaust works out. I am interested in your opinions. I have pretty much narrowed it down to the swpet side the decision is just if I need it and how much I can get it for.

Chris

Old 04-02-2003, 03:39 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Talking Gibson or Flowmaster

Super truck system has the best sound!!!

Old 04-02-2003, 04:30 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Skywagon;

Please explain your reasoning behiind why you think the supertruck is the best. Please note I am not interested in a loud truck so this should not be used as a reasoning.

Chris

Old 04-02-2003, 04:41 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Talking Gibson or Flowmaster

I don't know what you use your truck for but I pull stumps. This system totally rocks. Pulls like crazy. Wish my John Deere had that much power . Best improvement I purchased for my truck for stump pullin on the ranch. Torque from 2k thru 5k is outstanding.:. If you pay the price to add exhaust may as well have it do some good, also when I hook up my 30ft 5th wheel it plays with it.until I get the 6th horse in lol. :-

Old 04-02-2003, 04:56 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Skywagon;

Is there any difference in HP and torque with the Supertruck style. My interpretation while looking at the Gibson sight and talking to them is that they are all relativly the same, it just depends on the amount of noise you want or the style you are looking for. I use mine for casual driving. I did have a small trailer I used to pull and am looking to get maybe a 18ft open car trailer for the wheelers

Chris

Old 04-02-2003, 05:51 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

There is a 34% (or more) exhaust restriction in the typical stock muffler. Gibson Super-Flow mufflers only have about a 5% restriction because we “custom power tune” every muffler specifically to each vehicle. Other brands of aftermarket mufflers have between a 10% and 20% restriction. That is why Gibson consistently outperforms the competition on laboratory “flow bench tests” and, more importantly, when you want hill climin’, stump pullin’ power and torque! Another contributing factor is the mandrel bent pipes we use. Through “mandrel bending” the opening diameter of the pipe is kept constant, even through the bends. This consistent opening size allows the exhaust pulse to flow smoothly without power robbing restriction or backup.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:02 PM
01offroad
Freshman User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Hello again....
Well, yep it pulls better than stock.. Pretty darn good!!! As to what system makes more power, I called Gibson before I bought the system and asked them what system would make the most noticeable increase.. He told me without a doubt the single!! I asked "really, I thought the dual system would be better". He said nope, the single....

Anyways, it's your call! Different strokes for different folks. Thats why they make so many different systems..

I'm pleased with my choice..no regrets at all....

Old 04-03-2003, 10:43 AM
dtg316
New User
Gibson or Flowmaster

How does it sound? I talked with a rep on the swept side an dual sport, he said dual is louder, while swept is not much louder than stock, but swept side gives more torque than dual sport?

For example with the dual system you will make about 9 hp and 14 ft/lbs. of torque. The single will make 16 hp and 24 ft/lbs of torque.

Any body have some wav files?

Old 04-03-2003, 03:51 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Gibson or Flowmaster

Todd;

Thanks for the input, I woudn't assume that a single system would perform better than a dual but that is great. Less noise, more power/torque and I can keep my spare tire. SOLD!!

I will get a quote tommorow.

PS, Since you have been driving the truck how does it sound?

Chris

Quick Reply: Gibson or Flowmaster