1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

OLD MAN/YOUNG MAN

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Phil105
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD MAN/YOUNG MAN

well dammit, I never thought I'd be here, but I just realized I'm an old man in a young mans world!
Just had a new stereo put in the glove box in my truck. I can't do ANYTHING but turn the sum-bitch on and off - can't even understand the damn manual. What ever happened to the terms "front"/"rear" or "side to side"?
I have an incredible old Marantz amp on my home stereo and I can make it do all kind of things with the DIALS and SLIDES on it - they have "normal" words on it for everything.
If I could find a spot big enough for it, I'd just put that damn thing in my truck! Dammit, it's a young man's world and I'm an old man - - - -I hate to admit it.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that's all that damn new technology hahaha they say it makes things easier but they just made it more technical to understand/do things i wish i lived back in the old days i consider them the lucky ones they got by without any of the new junk they have out now. anyways what kind of radio did you get a cd player head unit? you could probably go to a audio store and they can show you and go over the system with you so you can familiarize yourself with it and what buttons do what.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Victor L
Senior User
Yeah, I got my wife a new stereo for her Jeep. It's the same way, it takes about an hour just to set the time, and once it's done you have no idea how you did it. I think you just need to relax, take your time, and try to figure out how to make it work.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I here you, and I'm only 40. My 13 year old son thinks I'm a moron because I have to put on my glasses to text someone, and a two sentence message takes 2 minutes. I'm old and uncool-I use a "flip" phone...and constantly hear..."why do you listen to all that old fashioned music (Springsteen for instance). Maybe I am getting old...I actually caught myself saying "Why in my day...".Just to think, his generation will be managing my retirement.
We're screwed.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
carbongs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Phil105
well dammit, I never thought I'd be here, but I just realized I'm an old man in a young mans world!
Just had a new stereo put in the glove box in my truck. I can't do ANYTHING but turn the sum-bitch on and off - can't even understand the damn manual. What ever happened to the terms "front"/"rear" or "side to side"?
I have an incredible old Marantz amp on my home stereo and I can make it do all kind of things with the DIALS and SLIDES on it - they have "normal" words on it for everything.
If I could find a spot big enough for it, I'd just put that damn thing in my truck! Dammit, it's a young man's world and I'm an old man - - - -I hate to admit it.
no way! lol it was good to meet you last weekend. thanks again for the parts. your cars are awesome. thanks for showing me around. as for the radio which model did you get again? they are simpler than you think. just gotta have someone show you the basics. i think if you just install it and not show them how to use it they'll have a hard time figuring it out. i personally give a short tour of all the installs that i do for my customers. at least they leave with a better understanding of the unit. pioneer also has a lot of info on their site for the operation manual. i think that is the brand that you got.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
jagabom
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea and they give you 2 pages of warnings and 1/2 a page of instructions.

Jim
77 F150 - 400 CI

Old 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM
lucky_strike
Senior User
Originally Posted by CropDusterMan
I here you, and I'm only 40. My 13 year old son thinks I'm a moron because I have to put on my glasses to text someone, and a two sentence message takes 2 minutes. I'm old and uncool-I use a "flip" phone...and constantly hear..."why do you listen to all that old fashioned music (Springsteen for instance). Maybe I am getting old...I actually caught myself saying "Why in my day...".Just to think, his generation will be managing my retirement.
We're screwed.
hey im 21 and i love the boss

Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM
carbongs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jagabom
Yea and they give you 2 pages of warnings and 1/2 a page of instructions.

Jim
77 F150 - 400 CI
yeah lots steps but if you learn the basics these aftermarket radios can make the truck sound much better.

Originally Posted by lucky_strike
hey im 21 and i love the boss
me too, the boss that is. I'm 25

Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Phil105
Elder User
Thanks for all the encouragement folks. And Tony, the fella that did the install did give me a "quick tutorial" - problem is, I paid about as much attention to him as I do to anyone who's giving me "directions"! ha ha
Oh well, I'll get me a 12-pak of Coors Light out, sit down in the truck with the manual and see if I can get it to where it will never play again! ha ha
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL

P.S. to CropDuster - You sound like you're "beginning to get there"!! ha ha

Last edited by TigerDan; 12-23-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Removed Politics
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
technology is a beautiful thing, and it just amazes me how the stuff that exists has the ability to exist and we have the ability to create it. i mean were prettymuch supreme beings that have mastered alot of things that nothing else can do. a fish can only swim, a bird can only fly. we can fly, scuba dive, go to outer space, drive cars, drive boats. due to technology. but it hurts just as much as it helps. it causes people to be lazy, and it can cause some things to be a pain in the ***! like i cant count how many times i've been somewhere and needed to get something done, and they say, "sorry, our computers are down" well back in the day that crap wouldnt happen because they have the file in a cabinet right there and can whip it out. and cars these days are getting to be too much of a pain to fix. i dont really care if a computer can make 1,000 calculations per second and measure my fuel air mixture for me. i care that it can get me from point a to point b, and then when it breaks i can fix the thing...with an adjustable wrench and a friggin flathead screwdriver. the economy is bad and people are trying to hold onto their cars instead of go sign on the dotted line for a new one, so therefore it is no mystery why they want you to have to take it in to get it fixed. electronics from what i've seen are a generation thing. as you get older if you dont keep up on it, then u get lost because as soon as one thing comes out, its already obsolete within a matter of days. transistor speed keeps doubling every 18 months, and its considered to be a self fullfilling prophecy. i think its cute how a grandpa has his grandson to show him how to use an ipod. nothing wrong with that.
oh and i'm 27. lol.

Last edited by TigerDan; 12-23-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Removed politics
Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Phil105
Elder User
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
technology is a beautiful thing, and it just amazes me how the stuff that exists has the ability to exist and we have the ability to create it. i mean were prettymuch supreme beings that have mastered alot of things that nothing else can do. a fish can only swim, a bird can only fly. we can fly, scuba dive, go to outer space, drive cars, drive boats. due to technology. but it hurts just as much as it helps. it causes people to be lazy, and it can cause some things to be a pain in the ***! like i cant count how many times i've been somewhere and needed to get something done, and they say, "sorry, our computers are down" well back in the day that crap wouldnt happen because they have the file in a cabinet right there and can whip it out. and cars these days are getting to be too much of a pain to fix. i dont really care if a computer can make 1,000 calculations per second and measure my fuel air mixture for me. i care that it can get me from point a to point b, and then when it breaks i can fix the thing...with an adjustable wrench and a friggin flathead screwdriver. the economy is bad and people are trying to hold onto their cars instead of go sign on the dotted line for a new one, so therefore it is no mystery why they want you to have to take it in to get it fixed. electronics from what i've seen are a generation thing. as you get older if you dont keep up on it, then u get lost because as soon as one thing comes out, its already obsolete within a matter of days. transistor speed keeps doubling every 18 months, and its considered to be a self fullfilling prophecy. i think its cute how a grandpa has his grandson to show him how to use an ipod. nothing wrong with that.
Technology is indeed a "beautiful thing" Dave, when put into perspective. It has also helped to get us where we are today. With all that computers today are capable of doing - "old timey" simple math will tell you you can't spend what you don't have. No matter what gyrations you put a computer thru - it still boils down to simple math. I believe it's time we revert to the past in this, as well as other areas - education being one area where we need to go back to a time when teachers were allowed to teach and students HAD TO LEARN or stay in one grade until they did. Being able to operate a "game boy", in most cases, won't pay the rent and not everyone can be an Internet Tech person and make a living.
Sorry to get off on this sort of rant. I wonder if "grandson" you mention above has ever mowed a lawn, had a paper route or raked a yard to earn money?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wonder if "grandson" you mention above has ever mowed a lawn, had a paper route or raked a yard to earn money?
lol. probly not. from what i seen kids today get everything handed to them and dont truly understand the value of a dollar.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Phil105
Elder User
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
lol. probly not. from what i seen kids today get everything handed to them and dont truly understand the value of a dollar.
Neither do most "adults" anymore it seems - at least the ones in Washington anyway!! The old saying holds true - - - "like father, like son"!!

Merry Christmas my friend.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM
codafisler
Junior User
Neither do most "adults" anymore it seems - at least the ones in Washington anyway!! The old saying holds true - - - "like father, like son"!!

Merry Christmas my friend.
lol, are you refuring to me??
i dont care if you are, but i work for everything, had a paper route,(tell bike got stollen) i now have a job (just turned 17 in october)
but as for the radio. why is it in your glove box? and shouldent it just turn on, and you here at least static from the speakers?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Phil105
Elder User
Originally Posted by codafisler
lol, are you refuring to me??
i dont care if you are, but i work for everything, had a paper route,(tell bike got stollen) i now have a job (just turned 17 in october)
but as for the radio. why is it in your glove box? and shouldent it just turn on, and you here at least static from the speakers?
Not referring to you coda - appears you are in Washington - the state - not District of Columbia where our Capitol is. Also, I believe you may be too young to hold office - though you sound to have more experience at business than the "head dog" in Washington, DC. It's nice to hear of a young person working his way up nowdays.

The radio is in the glove box because I want my truck to appear "original" and therefore want to hide the new one. The original radio is still mounted in the dash as it is supposed to be. As for the new radio - it does "turn on" and I can hear "noise" from the speakers, but for what it cost, I want to hear the "noise" of my choosing - not "noise" of its' choosing.

Quick Reply: OLD MAN/YOUNG MAN