6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.7 Problem

Alright guys, I've got a 6.7 and had it flashed with the 400/800 upgrade, now it gets 5-6 MPG lower than it did before and is using the whole tank of urea in 2500 miles and it's shifting harder than it did before the flash.

Took it to Ford and they said they couldn't flash it back to the OEM prog, which I'm pretty sure is a lie. What is the code for the OEM flash?

What could be going on here?

This is a 2011 F250 6.7

Old 12-20-2010, 01:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Bad flash...need to get it re-flashed..they cannot go back. You might have to call ford cust svc to get it done though.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is definitely a problem here. Roughly 100000 trucks received the new 400/800 upgrade. There have been less than a handful of complaints. Find a better dealer

Regards

Old 12-20-2010, 03:12 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
Bad flash...need to get it re-flashed..they cannot go back. You might have to call ford cust svc to get it done though.

Why can't they just re-flash to OEM? I can change my 6.0s back and forth however I want.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
There is definitely a problem here. Roughly 100000 trucks received the new 400/800 upgrade. There have been less than a handful of complaints. Find a better dealer

Regards

Could the urea piezo be stuck open?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by High Binder
Why can't they just re-flash to OEM? I can change my 6.0s back and forth however I want.
I'm not sure what you are flashing a 6.0 with, but even on them the IDS that the techs use will only flash forward not backward. You are limited to flashing the truck with whatever strategy is part of the version your IDS is running. There are ways of doing it, but I guarantee you the dealer can't do it.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
could be...If you are referring to using a tuner for switching between the current factory programming on your 6.0 and the tuners programming, there is a big difference with factory returns to old programming. You are storing the factory programming on your tuner and installing the tuner programs. The tuner makes no changes to the "factory flash". The factory re-flash programming overwrites the old programming but does not save the old programming. Ford does not allow the dealer techs to control what they install. The IDS system has total control and will not allow a return to abandoned programming. As I said earlier, over 100000 trucks have been re-flashed with a nearly immeasurable problem rate. You do not want the old flash. You want the new flash properly installed. This is all assuming the re-flash is the problem. Time for a good dealership/

Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Binder,
You are not alone with the loss of MPG. Mine has dropped the same amount and the dealer has not figured it out yet. I do not have a high DEF usage as you are reporting.

I have had mine to the dealer 4 times for it and the dealer was told by the feild service engineer that they have found that it takes about 2-3K miles to realize the MPG increase after the flash.... you should have seen their face when I said mine has over 6K since the flash.... This is the same feild service engineer that said my bounce at 40-45 is normal... no solutions as of yet, that is why this fuel mpg issue is the second part of my lemon law complaint.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
perhaps part of your mileage loss is the transition to blended fuel for the winter?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz
perhaps part of your mileage loss is the transition to blended fuel for the winter?
Not in my case, had the flash done as soon as it came out this summer, noticed the decrease on the way home from the dealership that day. Truck runs fine just sucks fuel. I reset my fuel milage when I left my driveway on the way to the dealer that day and averaged 20.3, on the way in, reset it again at the dealership and averaged 16 taking the same roads. Milage has hovered around 16 since. When towing my 5'er, the milage dropped from 12.5 to 9-ish.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
My 2011 F250 3.55 4x4 has never got anyway near 20mpg around town. It averages 16.5 unloaded since it's reflash in August. It did about 16.2 before the flash. It's a far cry from my 08 6.4 which gave me 12 mpg unloaded

Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
could be...If you are referring to using a tuner for switching between the current factory programming on your 6.0 and the tuners programming, there is a big difference with factory returns to old programming. You are storing the factory programming on your tuner and installing the tuner programs. The tuner makes no changes to the "factory flash". The factory re-flash programming overwrites the old programming but does not save the old programming. Ford does not allow the dealer techs to control what they install. The IDS system has total control and will not allow a return to abandoned programming. As I said earlier, over 100000 trucks have been re-flashed with a nearly immeasurable problem rate. You do not want the old flash. You want the new flash properly installed. This is all assuming the re-flash is the problem. Time for a good dealership/
Awesome, thanks for the info! Rep coming your way.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Thom12
High Binder,
You are not alone with the loss of MPG. Mine has dropped the same amount and the dealer has not figured it out yet. I do not have a high DEF usage as you are reporting.

I have had mine to the dealer 4 times for it and the dealer was told by the feild service engineer that they have found that it takes about 2-3K miles to realize the MPG increase after the flash.... you should have seen their face when I said mine has over 6K since the flash.... This is the same feild service engineer that said my bounce at 40-45 is normal... no solutions as of yet, that is why this fuel mpg issue is the second part of my lemon law complaint.

Well, I'm on my way to the lemon law with this, as many times as it's been at the dealer. Thanks man rep given.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jfritz_drfritz

I thought that too but it occurred before the swap to winter fuel, now that's it's on winter fuel it's bound to be worse.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
OK, stupid question time:

What does IDS stand for?

Is the "factory-flash" the what we in 6.0 land refer to as the "strategy"?

Is this system different from the 6.0 system?

rickatic, rep coming your way!

Quick Reply: 6.7 Problem