1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What's a 60 panel worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM
nothercrash
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's a 60 panel worth?

Passed a 1960 Ford panel van on the way to the parts store today, and I had to stop on my way back, I've always wanted one.

I have no experience with old vans.

The body was shottttttttt, at least the bottom foot of everything, and the little step down areas inside of the front doors were baaaarely hanging on. The roof, sides, hood, and the doors minus the bottoms were all in very good shape though, really straight. The cargo area was floored with plywood, is this normal?

It seemed to have almost all of the little emblems and ***** and ornaments and all that.

It was a straight 6, don't know what size, and a 3 speed.

The frame was in very good shape. The interior was sick I thought, but would all need to be ripped out and redone. It was riveted padded black leather, with 2 matching really nice bucket seats, but it was all cracked.

It supposedly runs.

The guy had 1300$ on it, but he sells a few old cars every couple weeks, so that's just what he's asking, I figure he'd be happy with 1000$, but I'd be more in the 600$ range.

What is something like this worth?

AleX

Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
From your description I'd suggest staying around the $600 range. You have to remember that the panel's body is very integral to the integrity of the whole truck. When vans and panels rot off at the body the whole truck will shift from side to side. With a conventional cabbed truck this isn't as important. I don't know if there are many patch panels made for the conventional cabs of that vintage but I'd almost guarantee there aren't any made for the panels. You're going to have to make all the important patch panels and any mounting bracketry that is rotted away.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by nothercrash
What is something like this worth?
Can't say what it is worth in that condition,but There are a few guys with panel trucks who will be able to give you some idea.I've always wanted one myself, but wouldn't buy it at any cost, as you described it.Unless you have the skills to do all or most of the bodywork/paint yourself, you won't even begin to get back the money you'd spend on re-doing it.Maybe if it was one of the earlier,more desirable years, but not the 57-60 models.I've seen three really nice ones from 57-60 in the past six months or so, rust-free California trucks, sell for only 7k or less.I was drooling over one of them.I think 60 was the very last year for panel trucks, I'd really like to have one. bobj49f2 has a couple really nice earlier ones, check them out.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 289 Likes on 199 Posts
You beat me to the punch,Bob,I can't type.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
51panelman is the one with two nice '51-52, I have one '48. I had another '48, it was just the shell and I sold it when I bought my current panel.

I personally wouldn't want a panel truck with the normal rust out panels get. Even the shell I had was fairly solid and didn't have any of the fatal rot out many panels get. Once the bodies rust off the bottom it will take a lot of work to make them secure again.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I can't speak for the year of truck you're looking at but for the earlier years 53-56 the only aftermarket body panels you can acquire is from the lower rear door post forward, everything from the rear door post back you're on your own except for taillights glass and rubber moldings. My panel didn't look as bad as you described the one you're looking at but was much worse once I got into it and had to replace to whole sub structure. It's just how bad do you want one. You may want to pick it up for a parts truck and look for another in better shape if you're able to pick this one up cheap enough and have the room to store it. There's usually lots of if's,lol. Good luck

Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I think the hardest part to find for the '57-60 panels are the taillights. The '48-56 panels shared taillights with the '41 car and are easy to find new repro pieces, the later years aren't being reproduced as far as I know. Many I have seen on the net have custom taillights.

Stock seats I would assume are as difficult to find as the earlier models, different seats but still hard to find. The rear doors are another item on all panels that are almost as hard to find as original seats.

Any part shared with the conventional pickup are easier to find.