6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

More cool stuff - engineering test mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My2011 mid 2010 build will flash engineering test mode...but the info screens are the same as always. Did anyone find a work around?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Averill7
My2011 mid 2010 build will flash engineering test mode...but the info screens are the same as always. Did anyone find a work around?
My may 2010 built - the engineering message pops up - if you don't let go real quick it reverts to normal. So I hold the reset button - watch the screen and quickly let go when I see " engineering mode". Try that - maybe it will work for u

Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Byram
My may 2010 built - the engineering message pops up - if you don't let go real quick it reverts to normal. So I hold the reset button - watch the screen and quickly let go when I see " engineering mode". Try that - maybe it will work for u
Thanks for the tip...it works! Just let off the down button as soon as you see the test mode message. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Thanks for this good tip; it works. I finally got to see all of the warning/info lights I read about in the manual.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Byram
Also the OP mentions one of the messages is Vehicle RPM which would indicated the truck was started...
...not if it's zero.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Yes, I started mine while I was in the mode. I will check my speedometer vs the readout the next time I drive it.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...this is cool, without a doubt. However, I have a service engine light that is lit and yet the data reports that there are no continuous DTC's. I don't understand!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,061 Likes on 2,214 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe/GA
Hmmm...this is cool, without a doubt. However, I have a service engine light that is lit and yet the data reports that there are no continuous DTC's. I don't understand!
Welcome to FTE! Sounds like a trip to the dealership is in order and you can ask the service tech what is going on. They will be able to diagnose further than Engineering Test Mode.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Thanks Savage. I took the truck to the dealer on Friday and they said it will have to sit overnight in the shop so they can test it cold. It is some sort of pre-heat sensor? Meanwhile, they said it won't hurt to drive it. Monday, after work, I'll drop it off and Tuesday it should be fixed. I hope!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Savage. I took the truck to the dealer on Friday and they said it will have to sit overnight in the shop so they can test it cold. It is some sort of pre-heat sensor? Meanwhile, they said it won't hurt to drive it. Monday, after work, I'll drop it off and Tuesday it should be fixed. I hope!
Let us know how things go at the dealership, Joe/GA. If you need any assistance from me, just send a PM my way. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name to get started.

Crystal

Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Joe/GA
Tuned
I'd like to contact Crystal but cannot send any PM's. What is wrong?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Friday, the dealer said I had a problem with a coolant recovery tank.
On Tuesday, I was told that the DEF tank had a crack andthat was what was causing the service engine light. Hmmm…from coolant to DEF. OnWednesday, I was told that the tank had arrived, but that it was a 10 hour joband wouldn’t be ready until Thursday. That brings us to today. This afternoon,the service advisor said they almost have it out. Almost? They should alreadyhave it out and be re-installing the new one. I asked (over the phone) if itwould be ready by the end of the day and she said they were doing their best. Ididn’t have a good feeling about our conversation, so I went there after work.I told her that I didn’t have a “warm and fuzzy” feeling about what washappening. I told her I understood that there can be issues, but that I reallyneeded my truck for the weekend and that next Thursday, I needed to be towingmy RV to south west Florida on vacation. I left and went to Lowes for somethings. The service advisor called and said they has found a broken nipple onthe DEF pump and would have to order a new pump. Something did not sit rightwith me so I went back to the dealer. I asked if they broke the pump or was itbroken when they removed it? She said it was broken when the tech removed it. Iasked to see the tank and the pump. I expected to see an 8 gallon tank thatholds the DEF, but this was a black cylindrical tank that maybe would hold 2quarts. The pump was a bluish green color and had a plastic hose nipple brokenon the front end. I’m no dummy and have done a lot of my own vehiclemaintenance in the last 50 plus years. I’ve broken my share of hose nipples.However, I’m not accusing anyone here. I just doubt the story. So, now comesthe worst part of this. No new pump until Monday afternoon. So my truck willsit nearly 4 more days before anything happens to it. Then, what will theybreak when putting it back together? I’m not real confident in theircapability. I’m not into bashing dealers, but something is bothering me aboutthis experience. Call it a gut feeling, if you will. Maybe all of this isperfectly innocent. I’d like to know why they can’t get a pump overnight? I canget anything overnighted to me. If that pump nipple was broken, would it haveleaked DEF? My truck is kept in my garage every night and I keep the floorsclean. If anything was leaking, I would have seen it and investigated. Nothing has leaked from that truck.

What do you guys think? Is this a competency issue? Do Ihave a reason to be worried?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
First, you cannot send PM's because you do not have enough posts yet.

I would be concerned, but a reserved concern. At this point, you are just going to have to take a deep breath, and let things run their course. Getting on the dealer at this point is just going to make things worse.

Is all this under warranty? I'm hoping so.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Originally Posted by djousma
First, you cannot send PM's because you do not have enough posts yet.

I would be concerned, but a reserved concern. At this point, you are just going to have to take a deep breath, and let things run their course. Getting on the dealer at this point is just going to make things worse.

Is all this under warranty? I'm hoping so.
Yup. Thanks for the reply. Still under warranty. Only 14,000 miles.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to contact Crystal but cannot send any PM's. What is wrong?
Hi Joe/GA,

It looks like you've posted enough to gain PM permission now. Feel free to send me a message!

Crystal

Quick Reply: More cool stuff - engineering test mode