cold Weather Rving

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cold Weather Rving

The DW decided that she wants to take the 5er to Kansas City over the Holidays. My 5er does not have the Arctic pack so it a little naked when it comes to extra insulation and heater vents going to places where it could freeze. Today I insulated the area where the water pump resides and place a light bult in that small area, I also went thru and spray foamed any holes and areas where air might seep into..
When traveling, I guess its best to go ahead and winterize the water lines and hot water heater and drop some rv anti-freeze in the black and greay tanks?
I am not to concerned while I am parked for the week as I can winterize fresh water and sewer lines with heat tape.
Being from Texas, cold weather RVing is normally not in Freezing Weather but KC can be brutal, nights around 10 or less and days about 30.
Any other ideas on what to do?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I leave our 5th wheel winterized and use 5 gallon containers of water and refill as needed. Anti-freeze in the holding tanks, pour what water is needed for toilet use. It's a bit of a pain but given the choice of some inconvenience or having to repair busted water lines, I'll take the inconvenience.

If we were going out for longer than a week or so, I'd have to rethink the idea. I do have a very well insulated trailer made for cold weather but seldom use the forced air furnace. We have a wall mounted catalytic type heater that is very efficient and very warm.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Originally Posted by mistakenID
I leave our 5th wheel winterized and use 5 gallon containers of water and refill as needed. Anti-freeze in the holding tanks, pour what water is needed for toilet use. It's a bit of a pain but given the choice of some inconvenience or having to repair busted water lines, I'll take the inconvenience.

If we were going out for longer than a week or so, I'd have to rethink the idea. I do have a very well insulated trailer made for cold weather but seldom use the forced air furnace. We have a wall mounted catalytic type heater that is very efficient and very warm.
I was wondering about the heater. I was considering using something different as the forced air will use propane like crazy.
What about the big storage area underneath? I have heard of people sticking a troublelight in there just to help on heat and it will keep the water lines warm enough? Heard anything like that?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
If you have any exposed water lines below then maybe some of the foam insulation for water pipes if you can do that would be good.

I would use the hot water heater myself.

Buy a couple of electric heaters that you can put around to help the furnance.

I have fireplace in mine it helps alot.

If you have some boards or something that you can lean up against the trailer when parked. This could help from the wind blowing under the trailer.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I once wrapped the bottom of my camper with silt fence, I then shoved the business end of a torpedo heater under it to thaw the tanks so I could drain them.
I wrapped the water hose in heat tape, and then insulated it.
It was a very long cold three months......
Like Scott said, I also used a large electric space heater to suppliment the propane heat.
Insulated roof vent inserts work well also.
I also put on the plastic window insulation film (what a PITA that was, but it helped control moisture build up)
My next TT will have the arctic package...

Edit: another thing that helps is to use blankets, or throws and put them on the floor of the sliders to help insulate. I put them under my couch, and under the table/booth storage to help keep the cold out.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have never had any trouble with lines or tanks freezing as long as we were using the motorhome or camper, as long as we were heating the inside, everything was OK..........and we have stayed out in some COLD weather here in OR., none of my RVs has had a "Arctic package".

Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We don't have an arctic package either. We have lived three winters out of five in weather that was as cold as -25 degrees below zero in our 2005 Tahoe TT. Heat tape on water lines, R-Max 1/2" or more as skirting, electric space heaters (two) inside. On nights that were going into the below zero teens we would leave water dripping on the farthest sink from the water inlet. But the secret is to catch it in a large bowl or few gallon bucket. Because if you let it go down the drains they freeze up. A couple of times in the night the wife or I when we got up to use the bathroom would dump it outside.
The big key is skirting in extreme cold weather. We also used the plastic foil wrap on the outside of windows. We do that in the hot of summer also.
Living in an RV in cold winter weather is a lot of work & worry. It is an experiment every year. We have spent many winters in cold winters & my first years I made a lot of mistakes & caused a lot of work & sometime expense for myself.
Personally we would stay in a motel if we was only going for a week or so in winter.

Craig

Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
I'm in my camper right now, In Texas. Its 36* outside and my fancy Infared "Eden Pure" space heater (rated for 1000 Square feet space) can barely maintain 64* inside.
I used the same heater to heat a 1400 square foot house in Ohio, durring 32* nights it would keep the house at 67-68 degrees....

I have a 2003 29' Coachmen with 1 super slide...I swear this thing has no insulation.
I agree with Craig.

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gearitis
I was wondering about the heater. I was considering using something different as the forced air will use propane like crazy.
What about the big storage area underneath? I have heard of people sticking a troublelight in there just to help on heat and it will keep the water lines warm enough? Heard anything like that?
Trouble light in the compartment will help. My neighbor has a cabin in the mountains east of Salt Lake. Gets plenty of snow and cold. He has 100 watt light on in the crawlspace all winter by the water lines to keep them from freezing. Must work as he has not had a frozen line since he started doing it 15 yrs ago.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

I just wrapped the water lines in the big compartment with pipe insulation with heat tape, I have added insulation around the water pump compartment which is in the back next to the wall. When I saw daylight near the water pump, I knew I had better seal that up and get some warm air in there from the inside. Used lots of spray foam to fill up holes where I could see daylight from the inside and under the rig. Since a roll of r-30 was only 10 bucks I put insualtion under the fridge, on the wall, where it was rather open, under the cabinets, on the wall, where it seemed like cold spaces.
Anywhere there was waterlines, I tried to insulate from the outside cold, but yet direct warmer air to those spaces.
It may all be overkill, but when I lived in Missouri, I lived on a farm and we had more than our fair share of frozed pipes. I guess I am spoiled now.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Sounds like you are well prepared.