1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Safety glass? Safety glass!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Safety glass? Safety glass!

So while I was cleaning out my '49 project truck before work today, I found the remains of the driver's side window behind the seat. Much to my surprise, it was made of safety glass.

I thought that only the front and back windows on the '48-'50 trucks were safety glass… guess I should have done my homework. This has probably come up before, but was safety glass on the side windows an option for these trucks or was it standard?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
I think stock was laminated glass, because they are frequently separating. Mine have been replaced too many times to know for a fact, but my locally-made replacements are laminated.

I believe "safety glass" can mean tempered or laminated.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:51 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Hi Ross - I am a little worried about the separation in the other windows... probably no choice but to buy new glass for these.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably no problem with separation if it looks clear. It's a good way to get rid of scratched,pitted and other bad things old glass has by just replacing it, i would and am on mine. What kind of truck are you working on ?

woops, i went back and read it's a 49,sorry about that.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:21 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
The windshield is my biggest concern here. My current car has about one million tiny pits in it from previous winters in the north and it is a real pain to drive around at night.

I suppose the glass quality bothers me less on the side and rear windows. As long as I can see OK out of them I'll hold off on buying new glass and just swap the broken ones with the parts I have on hand (especially since I now know they are all safety glass).

Who knows, if I get some time maybe I'll experiment with a polisher to see if I can improve the view.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I'd be real cautious with machine polishing, the heat will open any tiny stress cracks. The pits here in the SW are too deep to polish out (from sand and rocks). On these trucks with flat glass, you can get all new glass for around $200 plus shipping, last I checked. I'm due for a windshield. It's amazing how clear new glass is!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
My local glass guy calls that glass "safety sheet". It's the same for all the flat windows in these trucks and was standard.

I need to order a new windshield and door glass. My local place has been sitting on their thumbs lately. Anybody have a recommendation for a supplier based on recent experience?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked to see what a glass shop would charge to cut a new glass for the windshield ? They are pretty small and not that hard to install if you use a new rubber seal.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mtflat
My local glass guy calls that glass "safety sheet". It's the same for all the flat windows in these trucks and was standard.

I need to order a new windshield and door glass. My local place has been sitting on their thumbs lately. Anybody have a recommendation for a supplier based on recent experience?
To be honest, I wasn't thrilled with my locally-made door glass. It works, it fits, and it was fun to watch him cut it, but making curves isn't easy. I bought some glass 8 yrs ago from a place in Oregon or WA, and it was great. But since then I've heard they quit selling to the auto market. So this is my long-winded way of saying I'm no help...

Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd be real cautious with machine polishing, the heat will open any tiny stress cracks. The pits here in the SW are too deep to polish out (from sand and rocks). On these trucks with flat glass, you can get all new glass for around $200 plus shipping, last I checked. I'm due for a windshield. It's amazing how clear new glass is!
Hey thanks for the tip. I've spent plenty of time machine and hand polishing metal in the past, but I don't have any experience with glass. I think I'll try a few different methods a junk glass panel first to see what happens.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mtflat
Good to know mtflat!

Last edited by badger_hound; 12-02-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: cut off hyperlink to quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
There are two different types of safety glass. One can be used for the side and rear glass but there is a different type for the windshield. If you have glass cut make sure you tell them it's being used for a windshield.

I have found, at least locally around here, that most auto glass places don't cut glass any more. They like to only sell packaged glass that only needs to be popped out and glued in. The last time I had my windshield cut I ended up going to a local glass shop, the place does shower door glass. I cracked my windshield while installing it late on a Friday night and called around the next morning. I found the one of the few places that would cut it and was told it would take a couple of days. I explained I was planning to go to a show the next day and the guy told me to get the old windshield to him ASAP and he'd have it done by noon. I've had the glass in my truck for over ten years and still looks the same as when it was new.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
texasguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
There are two different types of safety glass. One can be used for the side and rear glass but there is a different type for the windshield. If you have glass cut make sure you tell them it's being used for a windshield.
correct. tempered glass is heat-treated to create internal stress so that on impact, it fragments into many small pieces (not long shards which can cut and pierce). Laminated glass is 2 pieces ofglass with a vinyl adhesive that is activated with heat and pressure - the lamination helps hold pieces together when impacted. Modern autos typically use tempered on side and rear glass and laminated for the windshield.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Thanks guys for the info on the two glass types. I'm guessing that the laminated glass is more expensive as they use less of it on modern cars...

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM
texasguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_hound
Thanks guys for the info on the two glass types. I'm guessing that the laminated glass is more expensive as they use less of it on modern cars...
badger, you are correct (as a blanket statement). The labor/processing cost is fairly equivalent but laminated obviously requires 2 pcs of glass and the adhesive layer so material costs are higher. There have been ongoing debates/studies in the automotive industry about whether laminated glass should also be used on side and rear glass for better retention of passengers during impact (higher probability of death when ejected from vehicle vs. staying inside), but the auto mfg's have been able to keep tempered allowed for side and rear. Likewise, there are weight savings of tempered vs. laminated and auto mfr's are always looking for weight reduction.

Quick Reply: Safety glass? Safety glass!