Sponsored by:

Which Windshield Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Windshield Wipers?

I am in need of a good set of windshield wipers for my Ex. I live in Michigan and would like to get some honest opinions on what wipers are the best in the snow and rain we are in for. Front and Rear.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM
fgials
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm down here in Mississippi and don't know much about the snow but we sure do get plenty of rain. I bought the Rain-x latitude and they are by far the best ones i have owned.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Dan Reinbold
Senior User
Thanks, I saw them at Menard's for $12.99 each with a bottle of glass care product and get a $15 rebate. How much did you pay for yours?
http://menards.inserts2online.com/cu...p?drpStoreID=1

Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 AM
fgials
Senior User
Mine were on sale but not for that cheap!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM
excursionism
Junior User
+1 for the Rain-X Latitude wipers on the X...however they won't go back on the Sienna minivan. I have no idea why they streak more so than on the X. Looking at the Michelin Stealth Hybrid Wiper Blades as the next set on the Sienna.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Also,
You can go bigger than 20" and get more coverage. Some say you can go as big as 24's on the front. I went with 22's and they are great. I think they're rain x brand.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
CMPX2
Freshman User
I replaced ours a few months ago and went with the Rain-X Latitudes as well. They were around $20 a piece and are well worth it.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
mohrds
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running the Michelin Beam blades on my Ex.
I run a 26" on the Driver's side and a 24" on the passenger side. I'd say that is the biggest size that will fit without hitting anything.

They work perfectly in rain and snow.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have tried several different types and am now on the rain X brand. Not too bad for the price, and the wipe of rainx to apply on the glass is the real bonus. I think that is more of the ticket to a good wiper is the application of a water beading compound on the glass. I get to see anything from sleet, heavy rain with wind or full out snow and find that the frameless work the best, again with a glass prep. That is the key, and apply everytime that you see the water not beading as well as after first application.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 PM
MPTonyT
Cross-Country
I use the Bosch Icon's on my F250... I am truly impressed with the blades. I do get them at a good price since my wife works for Tires Plus Corporate but they are a hell of a blade. FL is pretty rough on the blades due to the sun and all and i only change these twice a year.

Bosch Clear the Way

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Rain-X up sized 2" front and back.....

and rain-x liquid in the washer fluid...

@ speed on the highway and you can sometimes run without wipers in the rain

(course it causes wrecks around you when you pass people with their wipers on full speed and see u without them on lol )

Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
mohrds
Senior User
Originally Posted by MPTonyT
I use the Bosch Icon's on my F250... I am truly impressed with the blades. I do get them at a good price since my wife works for Tires Plus Corporate but they are a hell of a blade. FL is pretty rough on the blades due to the sun and all and i only change these twice a year.
I used to use the Icons but they don't seem to hold up well in winter. The end caps pop off and then the blade cover slides down. Probably not an issue in FL

You could probably go down to once a year if you would take a cotton ball with some rubbing alcohol every month or every 2 weeks in the hot summer and wipe the face of the blade where it contacts the glass. It removes the powdered rubber and exposes the healthy rubber and prevents cracks from forming. If the cotton snags, it has a crack and it is time to replace the blade.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 PM
MPTonyT
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by mohrds
I used to use the Icons but they don't seem to hold up well in winter. The end caps pop off and then the blade cover slides down. Probably not an issue in FL

You could probably go down to once a year if you would take a cotton ball with some rubbing alcohol every month or every 2 weeks in the hot summer and wipe the face of the blade where it contacts the glass. It removes the powdered rubber and exposes the healthy rubber and prevents cracks from forming. If the cotton snags, it has a crack and it is time to replace the blade.
Thanks for the info. Yeah definitely don't see snow or temps that would allow snow to stick. I think I had an Icy Windshield once last year.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I've used several beam blades - the Michelin's mentioned above seemed to last the longest and handle heavy rain and freezing temperatures the best. I currently have the Bosch Icons on my Ex and will be going back to the Michelin blades when these wear out. Almost any beam blade will be better than the older metal spring loaded blades. The constant pressure across the beam will give you better performance than 4-6 pressure points on the normal blade.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Love my Rain X Latitude 24" in the front and 17" in the back. No streaks and a nice clean sweep. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in the snow and sleet this winter.

Quick Reply: Which Windshield Wipers?