1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wireing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:04 PM
boaterbob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wireing

Well while i'm waiting for some parts to come in I'm going to start to wire the 53 thanks to Julies diagrams. Any way since there are no lighting wires does anyone have a pic of how the headlight wires went across the radiator support originally? Still looking for an original steering wheel and one grill tooth.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Bob!!!!

Just a couple of things.......First would you mind updating your personal info so we (the forum) know what kind of truck you have (53 F-100, 250, etc) And second, where you are located - if parts issues come up? Very helpful.....Thanks.

The wires don't go across the radiator support. They extend out the frame to the lower valance then up to the headlight bucket on the left side, then across the lower valance (48-50) or inside the grille cross bar (51-56) to the other headlight bucket.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:54 PM
boaterbob
Senior User
Thanks i see that now after reading your post. Now from the insde. looks like switch wires down to dimmer switch then out under plate towards kick panel?? Sorry for so many questions but i want the wireing to look good. Thanks Bob

Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
The headlight wires should travel from the headlight switch, out the firewall grommet; down the firewall to the dimmer kick switch, over to (and inside) the left frame rail; then about 6 inches inside the intersection of where the lower valance crosses the frame rail the wires come up above the frame and up to the left headlight, then inside the lower valance or grille crossbar to the right headlight.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 AM
boaterbob
Senior User
Okay i see the routing and a pic of that on one of the posts. After the wires go out side the firewall from the switch how do they get back in to the foot dimmer and out again? I don't see a hole near the foot dimmer anywhere. 1953 F-100 Thanks Bob

Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Mayb this would help, it's all I have to offer:

Old 11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
boaterbob
Senior User
Thanks for that diagram, Will be very helpful for sure. I think i'm missing something. Still can't quite figure out if the wires exit the firewall from the switch and go down to the dimmer, Where do they go back in to get to the dimmer??

Old 11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
My goodness Bob, "What good eyes you have."

The connections on the headlight dimmer switch are on the OUTSIDE of the firewall down low on the transition to the floor board - almost directly left of where your steering column goes through the floor. Only the dimmer switch step plunger extends into the cab - or at least that's what they are supposed to do - unless you have a weird one!

Picture. The bundle of wires being held to the side is what's coming out of the firewall grommet above - it includes the headlight wires. Note the steering column/pedal opening with cover plates to the left of the switch. Just FYI the wire coming off the dimmer switch for your dash indicator does loop back up and into the cab to attach at the dash light:

Name:  Headlight Dimmer Switch.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  293.7 KB

Name:  J F1 High Beam Switch.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  22.7 KB

Just FYI, the lower picture shows the transition from the frame up into the headlights. I have a full front tilt so the wires are elongated and protected by the hose. But you can see them (purple and blue) branch off the bundle and over to the left headlight, then come back across the inside of the grille to run ot the right headlight.

The orange and yellow wires down in the lower valance are for the parking/signal lights.

Honestly, if you run the wire someplace it needs to go, where it can't be seen, you can tie it down, and it's not getting chaffed or burned, the exact placement really isn't that critical.

Name:  Headlight Wiring Transition.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  279.1 KB

Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 PM
boaterbob
Senior User
Okay Julie you found me out. I do wear glasses. Anyway lifting up the plate in my truck there is no hole in the floor, Just a big indentation. So did someone fill in the hole?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
BTW if you have stock sheet metal (inner fenders) you woul dnormally run you rlights wire down the top of the inner fender - not the frame rail as I have (I have no inner fenders).

On your pics, that's your dimmer switch - there should be contacts on the back side. And yes it looks like the hole has been filled in. You can either redrill it for wires from the engine compartment, or run the wires down the inside of the firewall and under the plate then back up and out.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
JBravo
Senior User
on my 56 there isn't a hole in the dimmer switch pocket either... on all my 56 cabs the wires come down from the behind the kick panel and run under the dimmer switch pocket coverplate. There isn't supposed to be a hole.

JB

Old 11-28-2010, 06:00 PM
boaterbob
Senior User
Yeap, Do have the three contacts. All is good with the wiring, Looks like simple job. Since this is my first F-100 i was mostly curious as to where the hole was. Thanks for all your help on this and i'm sure i'll have other questions as i progress into the other things that need attention. Regards Bob P.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 PM
boaterbob
Senior User
Okay, I would assume that is why there is the slight indent in the floor to the left and top of the plate

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 AM
53pickemuptruck
Senior User
On mine the wire was just coming out from under the plate that fits over the indentation in the floorboard , ran up behind the kickpanel to the headlight switch .

Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
OK well I guess on the F-100s the switch is enclosed behind the plate and the floor board - good idea really.

Wiring would take the same routing except inside the firewall (or behind the kickpanel as 53 Pickemuptruck recommended) down to the switch then back up to the firewall hole and out to the lights.