6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:03 PM
cleskybear
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission issue

Forgive me if this has been previously addressed. I have noticed that on several occasions, my truck seems to get stuck in neutral when shifting gears. It is an automatic and seems to happen most often between 2nd and 3rd gear when taking off from a stop. The engine will rev and the tach will shoot up, but no gears engaged. If I lift off the accelerator, it will immediately engage and everything is normal. I asked the dealer, and surprisingly, they said that they have heard nothing and an inspection of the truck showed nothing . Anyone have any ideas or advice? And yes, I love everything about my truck, besides this one issue.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your truck have the upgraded computer flash?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM
cleskybear
Freshman User
yes it does, but this issued occured before AND after the flash was applied.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I had this happen on the 7th (I think) of this month pulling out on the highway.
First time since the flash I've had any type of shifting issue.
It hasn't happened since. The truck said 3rd, RPM's shot to 3k, I had to coast into 2nd then all was normal. I can't wait for this to happen merging onto an interstate...

Old 11-25-2010, 03:40 PM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
Got the new truck yesterday and the identical thing happened to me this morning, and exactly as described. Couldn't reproduce.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:41 PM
cleskybear
Freshman User
Made an appointment with the dealership for Tuesday, will post if they actually figure anything out. Starting to have a wisp of doubt about this truck now. Two new faults appeared this week. When I first started it the other day, I heard a "ticking" noise that sounded just like a leaf hung in the blower fan. I checked that the air/heater was off and noise continued. As I applied the gas pedal, the noise got louder and faster. It sounded as if it were coming from, or behind, the dash (no, it was not the diesel engine). After a few miles, it stopped and I have not heard it since. Secondly, 3 times this week as I was taking off, the truck bogged down. This occurred in first/second gear at around 5-10 mph. It acted just like there was water in the fuel. It only lasted for a second every time, and the truck "caught up" and performed normally afterward. I check my fuel for water monthly and refuel at the same station as often as possible. Only thing I changed was adding the Motorcraft Diesel conditioner recommended by the dealership. I REALLY hope these are only minor issues that are easily resolved. I enjoy this truck more than any vehicle I have ever had and look forward to many more years with it.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
How many times has your transmission done the 2nd - 3rd gear thing? Is it regular or once in a blue moon? I ask because mine did it in the first 24 hours I owned it.

Actually I was shocked to go to the site, and search for transmission then find others with the identical problem in the first thread that came up, and and you have to admit, and this is a unique problem. Sent an post to us and let us know if they figure it out.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:59 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about either problem. The trans issues seems fairly common. I have experienced it but not during steady acceleration. I can only make it do it with either random pedal input or when I've been in tow/haul coming down a hill and switch it off then hit the throttle.

The hesitation issue I'm going to guess happened to you before the truck was up to full operating temp? I have experienced this as well but as long as it doesn't happen once the engine is warmed up, I'm not going to sweat it either. It will be interesting to hear what you dealer has to say about it.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:59 PM
OPTITRADER66
Freshman User
Mine does the same thing ,it done it before the flash and a few times since flashed. Probaly about 8 or 9 times total . It's a freaky feeling when it does it.
2011 F-350 SWR 9,500 MILES

Old 11-25-2010, 06:05 PM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
It occurred when my truck was just leaving the driveway this morning and was not fully warmed up. Does it happen hot or cold regardless?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:08 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cleskybear
Made an appointment with the dealership for Tuesday, will post if they actually figure anything out. Starting to have a wisp of doubt about this truck now. Two new faults appeared this week. When I first started it the other day, I heard a "ticking" noise that sounded just like a leaf hung in the blower fan. I checked that the air/heater was off and noise continued. As I applied the gas pedal, the noise got louder and faster. It sounded as if it were coming from, or behind, the dash (no, it was not the diesel engine). After a few miles, it stopped and I have not heard it since. Secondly, 3 times this week as I was taking off, the truck bogged down. This occurred in first/second gear at around 5-10 mph. It acted just like there was water in the fuel. It only lasted for a second every time, and the truck "caught up" and performed normally afterward. I check my fuel for water monthly and refuel at the same station as often as possible. Only thing I changed was adding the Motorcraft Diesel conditioner recommended by the dealership. I REALLY hope these are only minor issues that are easily resolved. I enjoy this truck more than any vehicle I have ever had and look forward to many more years with it.
The ticking is normal. As you get age on the oil, it will go away.
There is several topics about this (I had asked the same question).
The 6.4's did this but those were also slightly louder engines and wasn't as noticable.

I don't have enough technical knowledge for the second issue since the computers control so much of the truck's operations.
Sometimes the truck is a little slow taking off, sometimes it throws me back into the seat. 95% of the time I just take it easy so I don't notice it as often.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
cleskybear
Freshman User
It's good to know that the hesitation is probably the engine being cold. On each occasion, I had just started out. The ticking was not from the engine and like stated previously, it sounded like a leaf in a blower or, for us older people, a baseball card in a bicycle spoke. The transmission problem occurs a few times a week, but it doesn't seem that there anything else wrong with the transmission. Although I am impressed with the power of my truck, I never get thrown back in my seat on initial takeoff, at least not until I get to third gear. I'm fixtated on the gas mileage monitor anyway and keep my foot out of it....most of the time....can't help it when a Chevy HD or Dodge HD get close.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had the issue of the transmission not shifting from 2nd to 3rd and resulting in big time clutch slipping, eventually gets to 3rd when I let off.

I think it's mostly when the transmission is cool. And, it's happened both before and after the new flash, and it has only happened to me maybe 3 times in just under 18000 miles.

I do not think it's a problem, just something that happens sometimes.

Based on my '08 6.4 experience (which was good) I would say that Ford has some programming work to do on this 6R140. The 6.7 is great. My '08 6.4 was a Job 1 truck and the programming for the engine was tweaked several times but the 5R110 was always solid. Seems like similar situation just backwards from the '08 year rollout.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
harsh shifts

My truck gives me harsh shifts more than I want to admit. The easiest way to duplicate them is to drive til the tranny is warm, go into a store for half an hour, come back out fire er up and just drive. Almost every time, I will get a harsh shift either from second to third or third to fourth. Took it to the dealer and he comes out with computer in hand. Plugs in under the dash and away we go.

While driving he's doin the computer thing and notices a harsh shift. Atta girl. Seems they always behave when the tech drives em. Not this time. He said there appeared to be a problem with the torque converter either not locking up or locking up. Not sure. Bottom line, he agrees there is a problem. BTW, this problem has occurred before and after the upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. I just don't want to pay 60k and settle for, "that's normal."

Old 11-26-2010, 09:22 AM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is a "harsh shift"? I like it when my truck changes gears forcefully. I hate "mushy" shifts

Quick Reply: Transmission issue