6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this happen one time. and the shift wasn't harsh IMO, it was... nonexistent. I was accelerating slightly with a somewhat cold trans/engine. just pulled out of the parking garage. I was about to slow down anyway, so when I felt it I just let off the throttle and coasted to a stop at the intersection. It never did it again... maybe it would have been "harsh" if I had continued accelerating. See this snippet from the above link:

a harsh 2-3 upshift on the first drive away of the day after an extended vehicle soak
The circumstances are identical to what mine were, but again I didn't experience the "harsh", just the neutral. I wonder if this is the same scenario experienced differently.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Mine did it today 32deg. outside when i started out i ran the truck for 15 minutes

When i left it felt just like i let off the throttle

the more i push it down the slower it went the it shifted and off i went

was real weird

750 miles on truck

Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Just to connect the dots. This TSB was posted by frt2599.

TSB 10-23-9 6.7l - calibration update - various issues - built on or before 11/5/2010

Tom -- your truck should have had this flash done at the factory.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Mine seems to act up when I do not give it consistent throttle pressure and it is not up to operating temps. Like leaving for work in the morning and while approaching a red light (at say 25 or 30MPH) and I just let off the throttle a second before the light turns green then reapply pressure to it. When I reapply the pressure it seems like the transmission is not getting the message that it is supposed to go even though the engine RPM increase. I just let off again for a second give it the go juice again and all seems well.

Not sure why but the lag kind of made me think it was associated with a "fly by wire" type issue. Maybe like the PCM is trying to run all of the calculations and transmit them to the drive train. Hard to explain but like the engine is receiving it's commands first and some of parameters (go, stop, go in a quick sequence) change before the transmission knows what to do.

I really have no idea if what I said above makes any sense or even if it is related to the 2nd/3rd shifting mention by others, but I seem to be in those gears as this happens.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marauder92V
Just to connect the dots. This TSB was posted by frt2599.

TSB 10-23-9 6.7l - calibration update - various issues - built on or before 11/5/2010

Tom -- your truck should have had this flash done at the factory.
Ya well it don't work mine still does it
Just when it is cold

but i don't like it

Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Although it should have been updated at the factory based on your build date, you are close enough that it is highly possible that your truck split time on the line between two days and it slipped through with the older calibration. I'm no expert on how the assembly line works, but I doubt that they flash the truck at the end of the line. My guess is the control modules are installed already calibrated.

The only way to really know is to have the dealer check your strategy to see if it's up to the current version.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good advice...

Old 12-04-2010, 06:25 PM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
Mine was built on 11/8 and may fall into that same category. I may swing by the dealer to check myself.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman
Ya well it don't work mine still does it
Just when it is cold

but i don't like it
My truck was built on 11/8 and technically should have had the upgrade done at the factory with a post-11/5 build date, but the dealer called Ford and Ford recommended that it be re-flashed with the latest of everything. I'm having it done in the morning.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM
flyinnuts
Senior User
Left mine at the dealer this am for the TSB and TPMS reset. I'll post the outcome when I pick it up this evening.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Had mine flashed today. Not having the issue with high RPM between 2nd and 3rd but on occasion get hard shifts between 1st. and 2nd. I figure if they are applying a new TCM/PCM on newly built trucks, they are going to put it on mine until my warranty runs out.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. We'll see.

Once I upload a flash I like (without problems) I'll not create a problem by accepting more flashes because they're available unless it's some great new feature. It would suck to get an update with warranty, have the update create an issue then have no warranty.

Although, is it safe to assume the ESP warranty includes flashes?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
flyinnuts
Senior User
TSB 10-23-9 was performed by the dealer yesterday. I was having the second to neutral instead of third gear issue. On the drive this morning the truck shifted fine between 2-3. I did notice a difference in the shifting strategy. It seems to shift a little earlier to third now as compared to before. I will continue to monitor but the initial results are promising.

Because i was in for the first complimentary oil change they also topped off the DEF. The information center showed the def level to be below half when i dropped it off and now it says the def is ok. I a assuming "ok" is full or at least more than half. The def reset failure was also addressed in TSB 10-23-9 but i can not verify my truck had this issue due to the fact that i had not refilled the def since i brought the truck home.

The dealer informed me it took them 4.5 hours to perform the flash due to computer(theirs not mine) problems. ???? I didn't ask any more questions as to why it took so long. At this point I was just relieved i could drive my truck home.

Needless to say they also said they coudn't perform the TPMS threshold reset either. After i had given them a very thorough explanation of the hows, whys and legality of it all when i dropped it off, I didnt feel like bringing it up again would accomplish anything.
I said thank you and left that dealer for the last time.

As for the truck ......i could not be happier!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
My flash was performed this morning no problems so far. seems a little smoother, but other than that only time will tell. I'm also thrilled with my truck.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 PM
mr clutch
Senior User
i have had the updates done and the 2-3rd still goes into neutral. as many here, i love my truck but i did not spend 65k for a truck that nearly got me run over 2 weeks ago when i pulled onto 6 lane hwy at rush hour. it lasted long enough that i was under 10mph with 55+ coming up my backside. it is a serious issue that ford is telling me does not exist but in my truck. because it is not electrical, it is not throwing any codes and ford will not do anything about it.

Quick Reply: Transmission issue