6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Burglarized !!! Info Needed !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
ddetar00
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burglarized !!! Info Needed !!!

okay here is the scenario...

Last night, as in every night, my wife goes to the door and confirms the truck to be locked. Hit the lock button and the confirmation (single tone) is heard (where the dbl would indicate a door not closed).

This morning approx 5:50 AM, I hit the lock button to engage the remote start an I hear a dbl tone horn (???) thinking nothing of it I hit it again, then the 2x's start and the truck comes to life.

I have beagle hounds, generally they are quiet and do not say anything unless necessary, they came to life barking at the privacy gate beside the house.... I am certainly wondering what their problem is.

I get to my truck about 8 min later... get in and noticer th glove box open and the manual sitting in the floor... front right door is ajar... ???

Somebody's morning shopping spree had been foiled when I remote started the truck. Everything is accounted for (including the spare change and abut 23.00 I keep in a aftermarket ashtray thing I bought just for that purpose).

My question... I cannot see ANY signs of tamper... no slim jim marks in the weather strip etc. Is it possible that some generic entry code exists that a would be thief could be aware of and use the keyless entry? this would be the only way it could be done without triggering the alarm... ???

Any thoughts / guidance would be are appreciated.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by ddetar00
My question... I cannot see ANY signs of tamper... no slim jim marks in the weather strip etc. Is it possible that some generic entry code exists that a would be thief could be aware of and use the keyless entry? this would be the only way it could be done without triggering the alarm... ???

Any thoughts / guidance would be are appreciated.
Wow, you were lucky! There is no generic entry code that can be used with these trucks. There is a permanent code that's unique to the truck as well as one you can program, but nothing that will work on more than one truck.

Also remember that if the would-be theif used the keyless entry keypad he would have entered through the driver's side door instead of the passenger side.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
or he could have unlocked it from the driver's side and entered from the passenger's side.

This is very perplexing... I know that it seems like the remote/keypad entry is the most viable explanation, but I think that's unlikely. Not that I have another *good* theory, because I don't. Maybe you just misremembered the night before? I've left my truck unlocked before and *sworn* that I remembered locking it. I've also accidentally hit the unlock button when taking keys out of pockets, etc. Any of those might be more likely... I really don't know.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
or he could have unlocked it from the driver's side and entered from the passenger's side.
Not saying it's not possible, just that I think it's unlikely. Someone breaking into trucks, especially early in the morning, would be trying to get in and out as fast as possible. There's nothing valuable you can get to from the passenger side that you can't get from the driver's side.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
btm991
Senior User
my truck wass stolen a couple months ago and when we found it there was no sign of foul play but when the invetigator got there she showed us that rright beneath the drivers door handle there was a tiny tiny hole that we could not even see without her help... she saidd people take drills and go beneath the door handle then punch out the lock. just something you might want to check.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM
machine62
Senior User
This might be a little far fetched and I might have even seen it on a movie...but aren't there electronic devices that can intercept the signal from the remote and then duplicate it later?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
btm991
Senior User
Honestly I never thought something like that would happen either until the detective showed it to us. It's just something to look for cause we would have never noticed it by ourselves

Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
don.joyce59
Senior User
Originally Posted by machine62
This might be a little far fetched and I might have even seen it on a movie...but aren't there electronic devices that can intercept the signal from the remote and then duplicate it later?
I have heard of this also. That is why one should push the button to lock it at parking lots instead of using the key-less remote to lock it.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you still have the key code card that came with the truck? Maybe someone at the dealer got the card out and then came to check to see if anything was in the truck at a later date?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
RPARKER559
Senior User
Here in Houston its just amazing what they can do to get in a vehicle, One thing I remember the dealer telling me to do was to keep the Tail gate locked at all times. Couldnt figure out why until he told it was 1600 bucks to replace it because of the Camera and Step. Made sense after that.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
garbenn
Junior User
Do you have the factory alarm, if you locked the truck and anyone got it open without the keyless entry code or key fob the alarm should have activated when any of the doors were opened. "IF" it was lock with the key fob as you say it was.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
You got lucky, many times (including once on my '05 F-150) the vandal uses a large screwdriver type object and "pops the door lock". Once the lock is punched into the inside of the door they reach in and move the linkage rod that locks/unlocks the door. The police told me that it just takes a few seconds.

I agree that it is odd that the alarm did not sound.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RPARKER559
Here in Houston its just amazing what they can do to get in a vehicle, One thing I remember the dealer telling me to do was to keep the Tail gate locked at all times. Couldnt figure out why until he told it was 1600 bucks to replace it because of the Camera and Step. Made sense after that.
I put a simple hose clamp around the base on mine,so they would atleast have to have a screwdriver to get it off..

Old 11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
I put a simple hose clamp around the base on mine,so they would atleast have to have a screwdriver to get it off..
and I turned mine down towards the bottom of the gate, so when open a screw driver wouldn't fit and they would have to have a little socket and ratchet to get it off.. (I carry that in the glovebox in case I need it someplace away from home)

then I added the power tailgate lock so it locks everytime the truck is locked.

and I added the JimmiJammers to the doors so that they can't pry under the handles, and removed the lock rod so IF they punch the drivers door lock there is no rod to pull.

Sam

Old 11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by machine62
Very common tool among thieves, but with rolling codes it makes it near impossible to capture a valid code.

Quick Reply: Burglarized !!! Info Needed !!!