1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F-6 Project Progress = Slow

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work .... looking forward to seeing it completed!!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
As the title says!

Well, I'm feeling really lazy right now. Over two years since I updated this thread! And I haven't made hardly any progress on it. (Wish I had some wild and crazy story as to why I haven¡¦t accomplished anything but no such story) just too many distractions and life.
Installed the cowl vent, cleaned up the door internals ready to go back in. hood trim is all polished and ready for install, still need to polish the windshield trim.
I wasn't going to mess with the trans but decided that since it's easily accessible now is the time to check it out, also since it¡¦s been sitting for over two years. ƒ¼ I¡¦ve got to replace the driveline anyway since the one on it is bent so trans will be coming out in the next week or two.
I did sell the engine that I was going to use and have another one that is a new rebuild going in.
Anyway I must get motivated to work on this thing in the fall as that seems like the time I get the most done on it. Hopefully I¡¦ll keep motivated this time and have the cab back on and engine trans in this spring and 90% by summer. (Where does the time go?)

Now some of you guys that are more motivated than me can reflect back on your progress and feel really good; doesn't take much progress to out do me! I'll update this a bit more often, that should help.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Good to see you haven't given up on it. It will be a really neat truck when done.
Time sure does fly by, and family stuff is always more important. I let my COE set for a whole year without touching it......just too many other priorities....
Stay with it, the finished truck will make it all worthwhile!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Do you have a rule that you can only update in November.
You are moving faster than I am. I bought my truck from my wife's grandpa in October 2002, 11 years ago now and you are further than I am at the moment. Although my pace has picked up over the last couple of years.
Show us some pictures. Maybe that will help with the motivation.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Josh, your making better progress than me. I'm still hauling home "parts trucks" to round out what i need for the two MH's. Should be done now, I'm out of room and friends with space. Just hauled the f2 out to the farm today and parked it next to the f6. The goal will be to get the f2 MH re-framed and get the awd gear in it, new cab, etc. Turn 2 trucks into 1 and free up some space. Anyway, you mentioned you used rustoleum gloss black for the frame. Did you spray that on or brush/roller? It looks great to me and would fit my budget. That will be the first order of business for my donor frame in the spring.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes apparently November is the month that i start feeling depressed and guilty for not getting as much done as I wished I had.

I could almost post the same pictures from last year, ill see what i can take a picture of to show a little progress.
I need to buy a sandblast cabinet or take a pile of small parts to get done.

The Rustoleum has held up really quite well. Im very impressed with it. As you can see by the dates of my posts its been three years ( hurts to say that) since i painted the frame. I got a gallon of the rusty metal primer and a gallon of the paint and sprayed it with a spray gun. For only powerwashing and light scraping and wirewheeling in a few places on the frame first it turned out pretty good. I keep telling myself its only a farm truck.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:51 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I will plug the Rustoleum as well. I wire wheeled the entire frame then brushed on with foam brushed two coats of rusty metal primer and two coats of semi gloss black. That was two years ago...sigh....and I have moved the cab on and off several times as well as slide it up and down the frame to expose different areas. It has held up very well. The scratches from sliding the cab around only went down to the primer and I just brushed that section again the other day and it looks great.

I plan on using mine as a truck as well. I would say farm truck, but I don't have a farm.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy,I was just lookin' at the old bed rails you had before the spiffy new ones.I really like the new ones,mine are treated wooden ones and I was thinkin' about replacing them with some nice oak ones. I have a couple seasoned sawlogs I could have milled to fit.By the way I have a 48 F4 that dumps.It was an old farm truck they hauled grain with.My hinges are not as far back as those on yours tho.I plan on workin' my truck tho,kinda why I bought it.In the long run it'll be cheaper than rolloffs or my trailer.What did you spend for the steel for the rails?Those prices tend to go up and down quite a bit.This is my first old truck Iv'e ever ownred and I'm attempting to absorb as much knowledge as possible.Great lookin' truck by the way!