Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio antenna replacement

Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
bmiller131
Freshman User
bmiller131 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Radio antenna replacement

Has anyone replaced their factory radio antenna with a shorter version? I'll need to do this if there's any chance of fitting in the garage.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:31 PM
srkr
Posting Guru
srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mine wouldn't fit in the garage either. So I took a hacksaw to it and pulled the ball off. I stuck the ball back on after the hacksaw job,...and touched up the scratches with black paint,,..works like a charm.

10 minute Fix.

Shane

Old 11-06-2010, 04:56 PM
bmiller131
Freshman User
Wow. I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that. Kinda like castration. I guess its an option though.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:32 PM
BostonDMD06
Junior User
BostonDMD06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
HAHA...no way man...it's my baby! That's like cutting off a finger!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 AM
bdb2047
Senior User
bdb2047 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I changed mine for same reason.Rubber boot on bottom will come out antenna mast just screws off.Can find short replacement at any auto parts store.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 AM
bmiller131
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bdb2047 View Post
I changed mine for same reason.Rubber boot on bottom will come out antenna mast just screws off.Can find short replacement at any auto parts store.

Great! Thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 AM
wiedsworld
Junior User
wiedsworld is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just drive in and out of the garage, it hits going in and out, but it's flexible and doesn't seem to hurt it. Also, it does no damage to my garage door.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wiedsworld View Post
I just drive in and out of the garage, it hits going in and out, but it's flexible and doesn't seem to hurt it. Also, it does no damage to my garage door.
Same here but I do have to fold the mirrors in. I take it easy and no damage to the door paint but it's visits to the garage are rare.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
srkr
Posting Guru
srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.srkr has a very good reputation on FTE.
WUSSES!!! It's a truck!!!

Plus it looks and Works great. Every night it's in the garage.

Shane

Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
don.joyce59
Senior User
don.joyce59 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck will not fit into my garage but my Explorer does. The antenna hits every time in and out. Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:33 AM
KeithLambert7
Junior User
KeithLambert7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could use the stock antenna as a good height pre-warning system so as not to crush the cab run lights. I'll cut it so that it's about a half an inch higher then the lights. If the antenna scrapes, I'll back up.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
bmiller131
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KeithLambert7 View Post
Could use the stock antenna as a good height pre-warning system so as not to crush the cab run lights. I'll cut it so that it's about a half an inch higher then the lights. If the antenna scrapes, I'll back up.
Not a bad idea.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.djjoshuad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't have clearance lights (kinda wish I did) but my antenna hits every girder beam for 4-5 floors in the parking garage at work. I had replaced it with a shorter fiberglass one, but the carwash broke that one for me. For the last month it has had the stock one back on and smacking those beams twice daily. It's pretty torn up now.

The shorter fiberglass one came from Autozone and I think it was about $15-20. It worked well before it was broken

Old 06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
blueovl150
New User
blueovl150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Simple solution!!

This one is so easy, it makes me laugh!

Simply measure the distance from the floor to the top of the radio antenna mast. Then measure the distance from the top of the radio antenna mast to the obstruction. Then lower the suspension of the truck in question accordingly! You will clear the overhead obstruction with no problems, and your truck will look just that much cooler! (This modification may require that you purchase a "coffee can" tailpipe extension that makes your pickup sound flatulent...).

Old 06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
buckmasters
Senior User
buckmasters is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bmiller131 View Post
Has anyone replaced their factory radio antenna with a shorter version? I'll need to do this if there's any chance of fitting in the garage.
Here is what I went with on mine. I had a tall one that hit in garages, then a short rigid one, but it kept getting bent in the carwash. This one is flimsy rubber, but works fine.

Amazon.com: Scosche RM906R Rubber Antenna Replacement Mast: Electronics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio antenna replacement

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: