Diesel Front End Suspension -Alignment/Leaf Spring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:53 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel Front End Suspension -Alignment/Leaf Spring Issues

Hey Folks.

Put in new ball joints in the spring along with new tires and a proper alignment (or what I thought was one). Now, tires are wearing out like crazy (they are feathering) which tells me something is outta whack. Its worse than before I did the balljoints. I had the truck aligned and paid a pretty penny for it... Now I know my steery box also has 'play' so I should fix that but could this be THE cause or will something else cause feathering too? I'd rather spend the $350 on suspension investment than two new tires (again). They are getting beat pretty badly up there. I know Fords are notorious for front end problems but this is ridiculous. Also, has anyone rebuilt their own steering box? I know there are a few pages on the fourm of how to do it but I'm just curious as to user testimonial.

I also spoke with a friend who said he added a third leaf spring to his truck since the front end was sagging a bit. The diesels are a metric ton heavier than a gas engine and probably wear that spring out pretty quick. Where can I get a third leaf spring and or parts to do this. Could someone give me some insight on how its done? I'm not a totally idiot, i'm just not familiar with leaf's.

BTW the truck is a 4 wheel drive.

Thanks!
Al

Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Ford's are not really Notorious for front end problems, but the 250's are known to have issues.

I"m guessing you have a 250.

Have you replaced the front leaf springs? I couldn't quite tell what you were saying in that department.

If the springs in the front are not right, and the bushings in the springs are bad, then your front end will do all sorts of strange things.

As for the tire wear, a good front alignment will stop that unless your tires are tilted stilll.

So it sounds like you have some weak springs and bad bushings.

I have some steering box problems too as well. I'm going to replace mine with a new unit, instead of rebuild. As for rebuilding them yourself. I'd let somebody do it.

Check your front end linkage for play. You'll have to jack both front tires up to check it.
Helps to have a second person to look at them when you are messing. A bit of play in the linkage, which not all alignment places will check, will cause some major issues like you are describing besides the bushing issues.

I hope i was not to confusing. haha.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Talyn
Ford's are not really Notorious for front end problems, but the 250's are known to have issues.

I"m guessing you have a 250.

Have you replaced the front leaf springs? I couldn't quite tell what you were saying in that department.

If the springs in the front are not right, and the bushings in the springs are bad, then your front end will do all sorts of strange things.

As for the tire wear, a good front alignment will stop that unless your tires are tilted stilll.

So it sounds like you have some weak springs and bad bushings.

I have some steering box problems too as well. I'm going to replace mine with a new unit, instead of rebuild. As for rebuilding them yourself. I'd let somebody do it.

Check your front end linkage for play. You'll have to jack both front tires up to check it.
Helps to have a second person to look at them when you are messing. A bit of play in the linkage, which not all alignment places will check, will cause some major issues like you are describing besides the bushing issues.

I hope i was not to confusing. haha.

Not confusing at all! Busings are brandy new and top line moog's so i know they're ok. I don't see much tilt to the tire and that would really only wear on the edges not feathering (from my experiences prior to balljoint replacement). I'll check the linkages....they're probably shot as well.

Springs definately need some looking at. My friend say when he added the third leaf, his truck rode flawlessly. If you look at the leaf now, there's like an inch or less between it and the rubber bumper. He said it also leveled out the front end of the truck. I think the bushings could use a replacement as well.

Do you have a source for your new steering box?

Thx!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:36 PM
blue66tang95f150
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added a leaf to my front end. Mine was sagged pretty bad as well. I just posted an add on craigslist for f250 f350 springs and somebody had a set in the trash. I went over dug them out and he gave them to me. I simply took mine off my truck, unbolted them so I could separate them. I did the same thing with the ones I got for free. Then I believe i cut the little loop off the ones I got for free. Got longer centering bolts and then bolted the third one on my original. Stuck her back together and it raised it about 1 1/2-2". It still road the same as before.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Can't tell whether you a 4x4 or not. Springs and bushings are cheap enough that you might as well go new. If your tires are wearing weird take it back to alignment shop and make them fix it.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Alright buddy, That explains a lot.
Stock with out the leveling/add-a-leaf kit.

Pick one of those up and a new set of springs, and you'll be doing really good.

Our trucks bounce around in the front a lot when the springs get low, they screw with the tires cause its a TTB, so your riding on the insides of the tires.

There are bushings in the TTB arms to check as well where they bolt to the frame. If you have some mileage on the truck, chances are they are bad.

People don't like the TTB, but if you keep good bushings in it and keep it aligned just like any other axle, it will work just fine. And it will ride and perform better than a solid axle.

I don't have coon to back me up in the TTB area anymore, seeing as he still visits but doesn't post.
The bummer with the TTB is there are just more factors to tire wear compared to a strait axle which isn't effected by weak springs, or bad bushings.

Only reason I want to do the swap is cause of how hard it is to replace U-joints or service the TTB. And well, my U-joints are shot, and my linkage is shot, 1 bad ball joint, weak springs.
But, honestly, its not to bad on my tires after just an alignment, one of my tires is off though, so that one wears funny.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Wouldn't bad bushings in the TTB control arms cause a "shake of death"? or no? I've have actually heard that before. My bushings *look* to be ok. I don't have the shake of death but the truck rides much rougher than I remember (i know its a truck...) as if springs or shocks were shot. What my friend explained was the leaf that is 1" from the bumper hits the bumper and is always sending energy back through the vehicle therefore making the ride 'rougher'. Seems to make sense to me physically.

I will check out the TTB bushings and even replace the bushings in the leaf's while I'm at it. I'm pretty sure they're beat as they are original. Hey, what about tie rods? Can a loose tie rod affect tire wear? As I mentioned in the original post my steering box is shot, the tie rods may be too. I never really looked into that.

Any ideas where I can buy a leaf for the springs? or what kind of spring to buy? Junkyarding tends to be a pain in my rear (although much obliged with their lower prices) simply because I do not have the time and sadly around here its getting a little more scarce unless you drive far which again takes more time.

Shy of replacing tie rods since they're really really pricey (at the moment), i'm hoping a few bushings and maybe a spring will help.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:02 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by granny_rocket
Wouldn't bad bushings in the TTB control arms cause a "shake of death"? or no? I've have actually heard that before. My bushings *look* to be ok. I don't have the shake of death but the truck rides much rougher than I remember (i know its a truck...) as if springs or shocks were shot. What my friend explained was the leaf that is 1" from the bumper hits the bumper and is always sending energy back through the vehicle therefore making the ride 'rougher'. Seems to make sense to me physically.

I will check out the TTB bushings and even replace the bushings in the leaf's while I'm at it. I'm pretty sure they're beat as they are original. Hey, what about tie rods? Can a loose tie rod affect tire wear? As I mentioned in the original post my steering box is shot, the tie rods may be too. I never really looked into that.

Any ideas where I can buy a leaf for the springs? or what kind of spring to buy? Junkyarding tends to be a pain in my rear (although much obliged with their lower prices) simply because I do not have the time and sadly around here its getting a little more scarce unless you drive far which again takes more time.

Shy of replacing tie rods since they're really really pricey (at the moment), i'm hoping a few bushings and maybe a spring will help.
hey i have a sky jacker add a leaf for the front if you need it, or do what i did and throw the 250 front end in the trash and add a d60 frontend, my buddy put 350 front springs on his as well

Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
Jason, nice truck. I did the similar to my 250 cc short box. Except I kept the 250 springs in it for now. Definitely like others have said, rides very rough. I need to put 350 springs in soon.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
jg96powerstroker
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildstang
Jason, nice truck. I did the similar to my 250 cc short box. Except I kept the 250 springs in it for now. Definitely like others have said, rides very rough. I need to put 350 springs in soon.
Thanks, yeah its as diffrent as night and day! i have had a lot of liftrd trucks and this one has the best ride as well, i think the d60 is a dam good mod! the 5 speed will soon be the second!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:11 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 135 Likes on 131 Posts
How is the turning radius better same or worse than the d50? I almost think it is worse. I also have a king pin d60.