Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What is the biggest difference between Ford and Chevy?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thndrroad70
do they really not offer a standard shift in and F-150 anymore???
No not since 2008 or 2009 I think.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 PM
ec_fritz
Junior User
Originally Posted by Evan92
...the sales that would be expected of the manual transmission trucks.
There's a reason why manual transmission sales suck, and here it is:
More than likely, it would only be available in the rclb trucks with the v6. The majority of truck buyers buy the larger cabs and larger engines.
I would gladly pay extra if a manual transmission and transfer case were options as long as there weren't any other restrictions on options available with it, and Ford would have sold me three or four trucks in the time that I've gotten out of my 89 F150. Note that I have a 2010 F150 now and while it's a nice truck I liked my 89 better, the restricted options available once a manual trans is chosen was the one and only deal breaker many times when contemplating new truck purchases over the last 15 or so years.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Evan92
Senior User
Originally Posted by ec_fritz
There's a reason why manual transmission sales suck, and here it is: I would gladly pay extra if a manual transmission and transfer case were options as long as there weren't any other restrictions on options available with it, and Ford would have sold me three or four trucks in the time that I've gotten out of my 89 F150. Note that I have a 2010 F150 now and while it's a nice truck I liked my 89 better, the restricted options available once a manual trans is chosen was the one and only deal breaker many times when contemplating new truck purchases over the last 15 or so years.
The transmission that they used would probably not hold up with the higher powered V8 and a heavier (extended/crew cab, 4x4, etc) truck.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 PM
ec_fritz
Junior User
The transmission that they used would probably not hold up with the higher powered V8 and a heavier (extended/crew cab, 4x4, etc) truck.
Then use a transmission that would hold up, if the transmissions used can't handle the load then that is the fault of the engineer who chose the transmission and not a flaw with manual transmissions in general. I already said I would gladly pay extra for the option and I know plenty of others who also would.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Evan92
Senior User
Originally Posted by ec_fritz
Then use a transmission that would hold up, if the transmissions used can't handle the load then that is the fault of the engineer who chose the transmission and not a flaw with manual transmissions in general. I already said I would gladly pay extra for the option and I know plenty of others who also would.
I wouldn't mind a manual transmission either, but from Ford's standpoint, there still wouldn't be enough market to justify the engineering cost of a manual transmission.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fellas, I'm going to also hold on to my 06 F150 for a longer time than normal time simply because Ford won't sell me a truck equipped the way I want it. I don't mind the automatic transmission, but I sure do wish I could get a manual tranfer case and manual locking hubs, manual roll up windows, 6.2L engine in an XLT, and zero electronic nannies. I also want the same console that I have in my 06. I don't know if that's available in any model above the STX which doesn't come with the big engine nor crew cab.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Evan92
Senior User
I guarantee you the XLT model comes with the same console in your 06. Maybe not identical but very close.

That is a 2010 model but the Build and Price app on the Ford site shows the same console in an XLT model. If you're actually talking about the jump seat/flip down armrest they changed that for 2011, it is similar to the 2011 Super Duty jump seat. It has a lot of storage underneath besides the storage in the top.

The new jump seat is similar to this one

Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
I think that Ford already puts a manual behind a higher HP V-8 in the Mustang, Cobra, and maybe others? A GT? Maybe it wouldn't work in the 150? Without really looking into it much b/c I have to put the rear air bags on my truck now but why couldn't they offer a handshaker in the F150 if someone was willing to pay extra for it? My dad is a die-hard handshaker guy from his 72 'Cuda thru his Explorer he has now. Had to order the Explorer for the manual, I'd say its late 90's to early 2k pre-bodystyle change. If somebody wants it and is willing to shell out for it, why not? Just my .02

Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Evan92
Senior User
Originally Posted by D8chumley
I think that Ford already puts a manual behind a higher HP V-8 in the Mustang, Cobra, and maybe others? A GT? Maybe it wouldn't work in the 150? Without really looking into it much b/c I have to put the rear air bags on my truck now but why couldn't they offer a handshaker in the F150 if someone was willing to pay extra for it? My dad is a die-hard handshaker guy from his 72 'Cuda thru his Explorer he has now. Had to order the Explorer for the manual, I'd say its late 90's to early 2k pre-bodystyle change. If somebody wants it and is willing to shell out for it, why not? Just my .02
The TR6060 that's in the Mustang would never work in a truck besides a high performance Lightning style truck. The gears aren't deep enough for a truck on the low end and I don't think it could be adapted to a transfer case without running a divorced tcase. It's not just a matter of someone wanting it and paying extra for it. There's a lot of cost that would be involved with putting another transmission in there. They would have to design the clutch hydraulics, account for changes in driveshaft length, different PCM programming, different harmonics, etc. And then they would have to put a lot of time and money into durability testing and road testing. I don't know what the cost would be but considering most people wouldn't pay MORE for a truck with a [supposedly] cheaper transmission, it's not in Fords best interest to spend all the money on a manual transmission when it probably wouldn't make it into more than a couple % of the trucks. Dealers would be outraged if they received a manual in their standard shipment because they can't sell it very easy. Very few people order their vehicles so even if the manual was order only, they wouldn't sell enough to offset the cost.

Yeah it kinda sucks that they no longer offer the stick in a truck but I don't blame them for not. Besides, driving a stick in a newer truck when you could have a 6 speed auto is kinda silly (to me). I'll take the stick in a Mustang though.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You also have to remember that the generation that can or wants to drive shakers like that(just brings the wrong imagine to my mind, especially considering most of them are men as well) are a "dying" generation. Thus that means, less and less of a population is going to want them. I can promise you some accountant and economist for Ford went through a C/B ratio and found out that even if Ford lost all the customers that they believed would want a shaker that it wouldn't offset the entire cost of production(from "birth" to end customer sale).

I can drive manuals, I believe people should learn to drive a manual regardless if they are ever going to own one, however, I wouldn't have a manual in my truck anymore.

Now should Ford still make manuals, the economist in me says only if they can do so efficiently, if not then don't.

However, bare in mind that the consumer also has to change with the times or run the risk of being left behind. More then likely Dodge, and Chevy will follow Ford and no longer offer shakers either. It might take a good while, but it will eventually happen, especially if Ford keeps a good section of the market, unless one or both of the others market share depends on sales of manuals, but I doubt that will be much of a reason in the long run. Might be for some, but certainly not a big enough demographic.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Evan92
Senior User
Dodge is the only one to offer a manual in a full size truck at all anymore. And that's only available with the Cummins. I agree with you, knowing how to drive a stick is a life skill but I don't want one in a newer truck. But if you give me a choice between a 7.3 with a 4r100 and a 7.3 with a ZF5 or ZF6, I'll take the stick thanks.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Phillip123
Senior User
Smile Here is the TEST

I have run into this interesting test. It tests the difference between CHEVY Silverado 3500 HD and FORD Super Duty regarding handling an irrigation ditch... I bet you know the winner

CHEVY Silverado 3500 HD vs FORD Super Duty ? Head2Head TEST! Who Makes the Strongest & Most Dependable TRUCKS?