1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper 5901/5902 do i need modules? remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 AM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 5901/5902 do i need modules? remote starter

I had a place put in a galaxy alarm and it is a POS..

So i am looking to upgrade to a Viper alarm/remote start..
My key doesnt have a chip in it. only reason why i think this is because i went to walmart and they made spare keys for 2$.. Am i correct or mistaking?

The company said i needed a module for the ignition and they put a key in that module so its on at all times. and they said something about another module for timer for diesel.

What exactly should i buy? do i need all these things they are saying?

The truck is a 2004 6.0

Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck doesnt have a chip in the key, but it does have a factory anti-theft system that must be bypassed. The timer they are talking about is needed because your truck does not have a Wait to start light. It times the starter so that it waits for the glow plugs to have time to work before trying to start the truck. There are modules that you must put a key in and then there are modules that are programmed and dont need a key. I would personally go with the one that doesnt have a key in it.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 AM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Can you show me some links to these that i can buy? possibly on ebay, they said they only had ones for keys. also what time would go good with the viper

Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
The "DEI 528T" is the timer you will need and I have to correct myself on the bypass.... According to my information you dont need one at all. It has over a year since ive done a remote start on an older superduty.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I had a Viper smart start put in a few months ago. Pretty satisfied with it, gives you the option to use your cell phone as a remote. I don't recall them needing a key for any module. Just make sure a very reputable shop is doin the install.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
This model number from viper.. 5901 says
"Priority User Interface and Features – including SmartStart™, Timer Start, Runtime Reset, TempCheck and Silent Mode2 siren-less arming modes "

Does it already have the timer start?

Viper - Viper 5901 Responder LC3 SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System

Old 11-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigredkacy
This model number from viper.. 5901 says
"Priority User Interface and Features – including SmartStart™, Timer Start, Runtime Reset, TempCheck and Silent Mode2 siren-less arming modes "

Does it already have the timer start?

Viper - Viper 5901 Responder LC3 SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System

Timer start refers to setting the start time from the remote, not a delay after the remote starter is engaged. You will either need the part I posted or you can run with out it and the truck will start with out the glow plugs doing their job... .Which would be bad...

Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
I called a few more shops to get input..
They said the new vipers and compustar already have a built in delay..

Im so confused now!!!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Futuresweets-10
Elder User

Im so confused now!!!

I looked online and couldnt find anything to confirm or deny it. I have been useing Omega for about a year now and havent done much DEI lately. It could be something that is built in on them now. I was just going off of the features list that you posted and it wasnt listed there...

Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
fldave
Junior User

Im so confused now!!!
I just installed a viper 5901 in, did the install myself and it already has the wait to start delay built in. You can also program the unit to wait 15 seconds, 20 seconds if you wish.

The only module you'd add is, if you wish to have control with your cell phone is the Smart Start system, with you pay something like $99 per year for the service so you can lock/unlock/start from anywhere you wish as long as you get cell phone signal.

The only difference between the viper 5901 and 5902 is the remote control, the 5902 is the HD (high definition) LCD 2-way remote.

Got the 5901 on ebay for $225 shipped. Installed it last weekend.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Sweet, i found a shop that is a pro shop for 400 for the 5901 and 450 for 5902 installed with lifetime warranty on labor and alarm.

should i go for it?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 PM
fldave
Junior User

That's a really good price installed with lifetime warranty. My dealership wanted $995 installed in my truck. So I thought about it for a full 1/2 second and ordered mine from ebay.

If they are an authorized DEI dealer/installer, there are crash codes and features they can unlock which the ordinary person won't be able to do. DEI will not help you with anything if you're not a dealer. I called tech and they won't even entertain any questions I had due to this model is not a do it yourself product. I've installed systems for about 2 years professionally, so it was a breeze.

So, in a nutshell, for $450 for the 5902 is not too bad...

Dave

Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
what are these crash codes you speak of?
They are a dealer, i got them from viper website.

What else should i ask them tomorrow?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
fldave
Junior User

Sorry, crash codes are only included with the do it yourself models, this is incase you need tech help, you can call for help, you tell them the code and they will help you, this particular unit is not a do it yourself product.

I installed it in a F250, the unit has a built-in shock sensor and is installed under the dash, so the most sensitive area is where the unit is mounted so the least sensitive will be an area furthest away from the unit, so I'm planning to add a shock sensor in the least sensitive area. Shock sensor will set off the alarm when there is a bump or glass breaking, something that sends a shock through the vehicle.

I would ask your installer to add a magnetic switch for the tailgate, so it will set off the alarm when opened, as these tailgates are stolen too easily.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
bigredkacy
Junior User
Well its in!!!!! 400$ and 5 hours

I didnt get the tailgate switch, but soon. they are pins they recommend.. like 30$ he said.

The shock sensor really doesnt work on the body. i hit it hard under the driver mirror and nothing. i set it to 15 on the remote and still nothing? any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Viper 5901/5902 do i need modules? remote starter