6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Reccomendations for an engine brake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
alistairh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reccomendations for an engine brake?

Looking at having an engine brake put in my 350 and am brand new to the world of diesels.

Any brands I should stay away from? some better than others? What should I look for when purchasing one.

I plan on having it professionally installed by NADP here in my city and using one of the uplifter switches to trigger it.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
there is one built in that works well... what are you looking to accomplish?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
For the 2011 6.7 L engine, It's built in as mentioned above. Just push the tow/haul button.

If you are installing it on 6.0L with an automatic, You need to look at B&D Power

Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM
alistairh
New User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
there is one built in that works well... what are you looking to accomplish?
I didn't realize there was one on there. Does it get engaged when the hill descent control is turned on?

I was looking for something like a jake brake. Use it when wanting to slow down instead of using my brakes or to put more load on the engine to warm it up quicker.

I live fairly far north, and -30C is not uncommon for the next 4 months.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
it's not related to the hill descent control - it's activated when you're in tow/haul mode and you tap the brakes. pretty much only when engine brakes are *supposed* to be used... there are several threads about this, just do a search.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 PM
alistairh
New User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
it's not related to the hill descent control - it's activated when you're in tow/haul mode and you tap the brakes. pretty much only when engine brakes are *supposed* to be used... there are several threads about this, just do a search.
thanks a bunch djjoshaud, I will take a look and was unaware of that feature. The ****** sales guy @ dodge tried to tell me the F series didn't come with them at all and I didn't see a dedicated button for it like in the dodge.

Cheers

Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Your truck already has one. Just engage the Tow/Haul feature on the shifter and tap the brakes. It works very well in conjunction with the Tow Haul feature and really slows it down.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Y2KPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Your truck already has one. Just engage the Tow/Haul feature on the shifter and tap the brakes. It works very well in conjunction with the Tow Haul feature and really slows it down.
Clarification Please.

Tow / Haul mode, TAP brakes... (and/or)
How does "Cruise Control" get involved, or does it?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
must be in tow/haul (therefore must be in "D"rive not "M"anual). If you are descending a hill and picking up speed without any accelerator input, you just need to tap the brakes. This will engage the engine brake and cause the truck to maintain speed, disallowing any further acceleration. Most likely (but not necessarily), it will also downshift to get RPMS up. If you then apply the brakes, the engine brake will assist further in slowing the truck.

again, this has been described several times on other threads. by me and by other people.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...and you believed the Dodge salesman?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Ford accomplishes this by closing the turbo vanes. This seemless and automatic exhaust brake kind of defeats your idea of using it as a warm up tool. There is no button to push except for the Tow/Haul. Which may help you warm up. As it keeps the tranny in each gear to higher RPM.

As far as Cruise. I suspect the feature still works anytime the Fuel Pedal position sensor is in a negative position. So anytime the truck is in a coasting environment, and also in Tow/Haul the automatic exhaust braking will take place. By tapping the brake you cause the tranny to shift down a gear, which increases the engine RPM and the higher RPM produces more braking. That doesn't mean the EB wasn't working in the higher gear. It just didn't have as much back pressure at the lower RPMs.

Another feature of an EB is to insure the Torque Convertor stays locked up. With out the tow/haul being selected, the TC will unlock when coasting to reduce drag and help with fuel mileage. I have not paid attention to what speeds the systems unlocks with out the Tow/Haul being selected. But I'm pretty sure regardless of the Tow/Selection the TC unlocks at 25 mph so you can coast to a stop sign.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't feel bad. I had no idea about the built in brake until about 2 weeks after I bought it. The Ford sales person failed to mention it to me as well. Just an added bonus I suppose.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
The factory "brake" system is not really an exhaust brake. The computer is manipulating the turbo vanes.

The Banks Brake does the same thing and works real well (when it works correctly).

The factory system requires some user input, tapping the brakes, which initiates the process (and dis-engages the cruise).

A true exhaust brake will be active whenever your foot is off the throttle and the truck starts to coast.

Looking forward to trying out the new truck with my 18K pound toy hauler

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once custom tuning is available for this engine, you should be able to get much more aggressive turbo braking that will be available any time the throttle is at 0. It was a very effective system on the 6.0. Coming down off a 2 mile mountain with 10,000 lbs behind me the 6.0 would shift down to 3rd and maintain 50 mph with absolutely no brake input at all.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by porthole
The factory "brake" system is not really an exhaust brake. The computer is manipulating the turbo vanes.

The Banks Brake does the same thing and works real well (when it works correctly).

The factory system requires some user input, tapping the brakes, which initiates the process (and dis-engages the cruise).

A true exhaust brake will be active whenever your foot is off the throttle and the truck starts to coast.

Looking forward to trying out the new truck with my 18K pound toy hauler
thank you, I was going to ask if it really was one.

Quick Reply: Reccomendations for an engine brake?