1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fed up with my 6.0, looking for opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
AntiBling
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fed up with my 6.0, looking for opinions.

I'm completely fed up with this 6.0, I get one thing fixed it's got 10 other problems that spring up.

I'm trying to decide what to do, finding a 7.3 that will work for me is tough, there are some out there, but I would have to sell this pile first to get one.

So my second option is to go through a dealer and trade it in. I will still be eating money plus going into more debt, but it's less of a headache in the end.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions, is the 6.4 as big of a pain as the 6.0, I know when they first came out there was that flame throwing problem but I'd imagine that gotten taken care of quick, any other big problems? Would you go with a 6.4 or go back to a 7.3?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
I read these all the time. The 6.4 had growing pains in 2008 when it was first released, and those had to do with the radiators leaking, which was usually traced to a low degas bottle. If you actually pop the hood and look at the engine once a week, I doubt you'll have any problems out a 6.4, and much more power than a 7.3, but that's just MY opinion.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
89CrewCab
Mountain Pass
V10? The more I read about diesels, the more I DO NOT want one. To me, it seems unless you are towing A LOT of weight, ALL OF THE TIME, get a V10. Other than that, it is not worth the hassle.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
My .02 Get a nice 7.3L they are reliable, get good fuel economy, will tow anything that is legal, and have the potential for alot more power if you want it. The 6.4s are ok except for the emissions ****. The v10 is ok too if you are content with 12-13 mpg.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traded my '06 PSD for my current truck a '08 v10 and could not be happier.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

If you dont want to build up more debt Your probably gonna have to wait and not trade it in. get it Paid off or down enough first then find yourself a 6.4 or 7.3 or V-10.

You can trade down pretty easy to a 7.3 or V-10 IMO.

If you want a 6.4 i would wait till the prices come down. on average 4-5 years on used vehicles is when they take their biggest hit in depreciation. If you picked up an 08 or 09 6.4 now, your gonna get hit hard on the depreciation.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 89CrewCab
V10? The more I read about diesels, the more I DO NOT want one. To me, it seems unless you are A LOT of weight, ALL OF THE TIME, get a V10. Other than that, it is not worth the hassle.
A diesel isn't for everyone. Nor is it for every job. Although it can pretty much do all jobs. I'm curious what have you been reading? Post such as "my brother's truck blah or a guy I talked to a cross the fence said blah"? There's great stuff written on the powerstrokes that will teach you what they are about. What makes them successive or a failure. Granted a diesel might not be for you but understand the concept of the mechanics and the things that make them fail gives you the tools to make that decission. Just cause your neighbor told you every 6.0 needs a turbo at 105k miles doesn't make it true. But understanding the difference between the turbo on the 7.3 and the vgt turbo on the 6.0 enables you to see to it that you don't have to have a turbo replaced.
Its like when I listened to everybody and most of them was saying the ultra low fuel was damageing engines when in fact its what the 6.0 needs to survive. Fuel caused the most damage on the vgt turbos. See you can't listen to everything you here. Yes your grand dad might have driven and worked on diesels all your life. But those diesels are long gone. They have been replaced. I just ask that yall learn about what your advicing against. Don't just repeat the same ol junk.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 PM
2001400ex
Elder User
Yeah, I just made the same move, except I went to a Duramax (don't bash, I didn't want the tranny on the 7.3 or the bad fuel mileage of the 6.4). My thinking was, I will probably need head gaskets soon, at a cost of $3,000 or maybe more. Then, like you said, who knows what else will go wrong. I have read too many stories of people spending the money, then something else goes wrong. You are pot committed at that point so you spend more money.

The clincher in my deal was two things. 1) I am an accountant, not a mechanic. I changed the oil and fuel filters and the other basic maintenance, but no way was I changing the injectors, FICM, HPOP, HG, whatever else. 2) I have a 5 year old boy that travels with me on my camping trips. Being stuck on my own, not a big deal. Being stuck with a 5 year old monster, is a different deal.

I am a hypochondriac with my truck, so for peace of mind, I paid the cash and made the move. I get about the same MPG empty and loaded as my built 6.0, but do not use DK every tank now (though I will here soon in the winter).

I do not regret the cost, even as I write the painful check tomorrow for the sales tax. Everyone has their own deal. If you are short on funds, go with a 7.3 and the manual, there are many to be found for a great price, but it takes time. I traded my 6.0 in and talked to at least 10 dealers before I found one willing to pay close to what I wanted.

That is my two cents, hope it helps.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.3 or V10!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I love my v10

I have a big soft spot for the 7.3 it is the last diesel engine I would own. But it now a old truck.

I purchased a v10 when my 6.0 craped out on a family vaccation. The V10 simply works has not given me any trouble. The diesel is a lot of work to keep maintanced.

Donovan

2005 6.0 CC SB
2009 6.8 CC LB

Old 11-01-2010, 11:25 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 2001400ex
I went to a Duramax
Oh brother...oh well. I'll come pull you and whatever your haul up the hill for you. Lol. I just had to say it. But seriously. Good luck w/ that. Hmmmm a tow off? Hell of I'm gonna beat up on v10s and 5.4s I migjt as well throw your, a... Your, a... Ahem I just can't say it. You know. Your truck in the mix. But I think josh's 5.4 will getcha. Hehehe. Hey stick around, will be boring w/ outcha. Know what I mean?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 AM
driximus
Posting Guru

Yeah, I just made the same move, except I went to a Duramax (don't bash, I didn't want the tranny on the 7.3 or the bad fuel mileage of the 6.4). My thinking was, I will probably need head gaskets soon, at a cost of $3,000 or maybe more. Then, like you said, who knows what else will go wrong. I have read too many stories of people spending the money, then something else goes wrong. You are pot committed at that point so you spend more money.

The clincher in my deal was two things. 1) I am an accountant, not a mechanic. I changed the oil and fuel filters and the other basic maintenance, but no way was I changing the injectors, FICM, HPOP, HG, whatever else. 2) I have a 5 year old boy that travels with me on my camping trips. Being stuck on my own, not a big deal. Being stuck with a 5 year old monster, is a different deal.

I am a hypochondriac with my truck, so for peace of mind, I paid the cash and made the move. I get about the same MPG empty and loaded as my built 6.0, but do not use DK every tank now (though I will here soon in the winter).

I do not regret the cost, even as I write the painful check tomorrow for the sales tax. Everyone has their own deal. If you are short on funds, go with a 7.3 and the manual, there are many to be found for a great price, but it takes time. I traded my 6.0 in and talked to at least 10 dealers before I found one willing to pay close to what I wanted.

That is my two cents, hope it helps.
Thats what I want is a Duramax.

Originally Posted by exiled
Oh brother...oh well. I'll come pull you and whatever your haul up the hill for you. Lol. I just had to say it. But seriously. Good luck w/ that. Hmmmm a tow off? Hell of I'm gonna beat up on v10s and 5.4s I migjt as well throw your, a... Your, a... Ahem I just can't say it. You know. Your truck in the mix. But I think josh's 5.4 will getcha. Hehehe. Hey stick around, will be boring w/ outcha. Know what I mean?
LOL, I wish I had a Duramax also.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:28 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

First, I'd say jump down to the 6.0 forum and do LOTS of reading. They seem to have figured out "the recipe" for 6.0 happiness, and I'd LOVE to have the 5R110 behind my 7.3 but I'll be sticking with my 7.3 - it's paid for, ya know.

I'll admit, she almost left me stranded the other week, about 3 miles from home. After 182k miles, the HPOP o-rings went. $20 in parts and a couple hours in the driveway, and she's all better. Oh yeah, a CPS started flaking on me too a few years ago.... $25 part and about 10 minutes on my back under the truck and that was sorted. Man, these diesels... they just KILL YOU with the maintenance!!!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
I didn't want the tranny on the 7.3.
I am not a fan of auto trannies but, if you upgrade the valve body and get a tuner, the E4OD or 4R100 can be made to feel totally different. I drove one recently with a drilled out valve body and BTS tuning: all I could say was WOW! what a difference!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Man, these diesels... they just KILL YOU with the maintenance!!!
I know. The main ones that I notice crying the most are the ones going paying someone $120 to change their oil. I haven't seen a durmax for $3000 so I'll still come out ahead w/ a head job. Of course most of the guys crying about repairs don't work their trucks. The most work their truck does is haul their butts around and 2 weekends a year pull a 10k camper to the campgrounds.
It said it all. Educating yourself on the 6.0 is the best way to see your truck stays on the road. All this hear say isn't going to make any difference.

Quick Reply: Fed up with my 6.0, looking for opinions.