Sponsored by: Moser

Show me your CB radios !

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:00 AM
conderd
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show me your CB radios !

I want to put a CB in the 73' I lived through the CB years in the 70s and think a CB would be a nice functional addition to my F100.I'd like to see yours and how it is integrated into your truck.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:29 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
A CB was a factory option. The factory would put one in your truck if you ordered one. I have never seen one though. Not sure what years they were available at least '78 & '79. Maybe someone here has one we could see ?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 PM
steponit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-31-2010, 02:28 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never knew about that. That's sweet...

Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM
steponit
Elder User
Back in the 80's in Denver a fella showed up at our dealership looking for an interior part, Iwne out to his truck and saw a really nice floor mounted CB radio.
It was located on the hump and was very accessible.
Maybe stop in at a CB radio shop and see if they have them ?

EDIT: I just googled it and found this which looks exactly like the one from the 80's

http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-HUMP-MOUNT...item588aa06263

Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Allmost everybody including myself was addicted to the C.B. back in the 70s and 80s . Are they used much now since allmost everybody has a cell phone close by? I have an old C.B. I was thinking about installing in my 79 ,don't know if there is anybody to listen to.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 PM
79 Crewcab F250
New User
I know someone who has a 1978 or 79 f150 supercab with a factory cb. it was kinda cool. I'd rather have a aftermarket one because the factory one looked hard to tune.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Friesian-Bronco
Senior User
I'm running a new Uniden(can't remember the model, its 40chanel obviously, with the PA and weather channel features) in the bronco, not really integrated to my cab though, I just stuck it in he usual dash hanger bracket,but he bracket on the bottom and mounted it vertical o the front of my center console... was the most convenient place to put it. Its not there now though, I pulled the console when I bedlinered the cab, and am not sure if its going back or not, or wherethe CB will get mounted.

In my 76 f150 and 78 f250, I have the little narrow Uniden pro 510xl, that I found out on another forum, will slip fit in the ash tray rails;

Thats as far as it will go in, in that dash, since its an AC truck and I have all of the ducts for the front of dash vents, and one runs right behind there, keeping it from sliding in further. I THINK on a non AC truck you can push i in for a flush mount. It will loosely go in below the tray rail, but won't stay. I have it in between the bottom half of the rails, its fairly easy to press in and pull out. You can also press it in all the way up fully between the rails, but it scratched/dug the case pretty good, and was a real bitch to get back out again.

I like it because its a pretty clean location, its easy to reach, and needed no mods to the dash or the CB. Holds good and solid for regular city and rough country dirt road driving that I do, and i think well enough for offroading.

Not really much chatter on them up here, except by guys out mudding/the offroad clubs, and semi/trucker traffic of which we have a lot... but even thats getting harder to get. I'm running one because of a couple friends that are running them, its easier and safer for highway comunication than cells, and there is no cell reception in a lot of my area.-- And thats another reason, where there is no cell signal, if something happens, there is the emergency channel that is law enforcement monitored... I'm also a Dukes of hazzard/Bandit, and generally 70s/80s nut... so a CB is a required item to have!

G. or on the air; Cowboy

Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Friesian-Bronco
I'm running a new Uniden(can't remember the model, its 40chanel obviously, with the PA and weather channel features) in the bronco, not really integrated to my cab though, I just stuck it in he usual dash hanger bracket,but he bracket on the bottom and mounted it vertical o the front of my center console... was the most convenient place to put it. Its not there now though, I pulled the console when I bedlinered the cab, and am not sure if its going back or not, or wherethe CB will get mounted.

In my 76 f150 and 78 f250, I have the little narrow Uniden pro 510xl, that I found out on another forum, will slip fit in the ash tray rails;

Thats as far as it will go in, in that dash, since its an AC truck and I have all of the ducts for the front of dash vents, and one runs right behind there, keeping it from sliding in further. I THINK on a non AC truck you can push i in for a flush mount. It will loosely go in below the tray rail, but won't stay. I have it in between the bottom half of the rails, its fairly easy to press in and pull out. You can also press it in all the way up fully between the rails, but it scratched/dug the case pretty good, and was a real bitch to get back out again.

I like it because its a pretty clean location, its easy to reach, and needed no mods to the dash or the CB. Holds good and solid for regular city and rough country dirt road driving that I do, and i think well enough for offroading.

Not really much chatter on them up here, except by guys out mudding/the offroad clubs, and semi/trucker traffic of which we have a lot... but even thats getting harder to get. I'm running one because of a couple friends that are running them, its easier and safer for highway comunication than cells, and there is no cell reception in a lot of my area.-- And thats another reason, where there is no cell signal, if something happens, there is the emergency channel that is law enforcement monitored... I'm also a Dukes of hazzard/Bandit, and generally 70s/80s nut... so a CB is a required item to have!

G. or on the air; Cowboy
You have your C.B. mounted the same way I had mine. The one I had and still have must be a little smaller as it would go in a little more than the one you show and it was an A.C. truck. I think I will put mine back in, but since you show to be in alaska , I don't think you will here me L.O.L. But just in case i'm known as "crooked nail" my brother gave me that handle when I started doing carpenter work many many moons ago.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Blown 331
My dad has a Cobra AF/FM/Cassette/CB radio in his 1979 F-250. It was in the truck when he bought it in the early 80s. It's somewhat similar to the factory set up posted above. I would think about putting a CB in my truck but I don't know of anyone who has one so it would be pointless.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown 331
It's somewhat similar to the factory set up posted above.
There is no factory setup shown in this thread. The original setup looked like this.

Over the years I have collected 3 complete spare setups. One will go in my black F-250.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Blown 331
By factory CB I am refering to the one in the brochure that steponit posted. And wow, Ranger429 thats a nice collection!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Kalve
Posting Guru
I am looking at adding one to mine come spring & you can go with Cobra radios & they got one that has weather alert & bluetooth in it an you can use the mic & speaker with your cell phone. On the 74 I got somebody had a CB on the dash & put a hole in the roof for the antenna.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Shane in WI
Senior User
I found a Kraco am/fm/8-track/cb radio in a 1977 motorhome along with a bunch of tapes. I installed it into my 77 F100 a few weeks ago. Works great. I haven't installed an antenna yet to test the cb, but lights up and should work. All contained in the stereo itself with no external box. I don't have a photo yet, but it looks great in that old truck. Been having fun finding some 8 tracks for the truck and garage stereo.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:26 PM
conderd
Junior User
Awesome stuff guys! Keep it coming and I command everyone to install a CB in their truck.

Quick Reply: Show me your CB radios !