300 six reliability ? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

300 six reliability ?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
300 six reliability ?

I am currently looking at a 300 six f150 that has about 194k miles on it. Should I be concerned about the amount of miles on it? I know these motors like to develop piston slap, but this one seems strong, it is just really dirty. It is covered in old oil and dirt from the top of the valve cover to the motor mounts, so I am asuming it was not taken care of that well. I was just curious what the 300 six crowd had to say. I have read that some go well into the 300k mile range, but what could I realistically expect out of this one? any thoughts here? I have never owned a 300 six before, but the 300 six with the 5 speed is very appealing to me, as I am looking for a good work truck that doesn't mind going no where over 50mph and likes to be driven a lot. Any and all comments are welcome, please no negative ones. haha.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Wyowanderer
Elder User
Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Wyowanderer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by big-ugly View Post
I am currently looking at a 300 six f150 that has about 194k miles on it. Should I be concerned about the amount of miles on it? I know these motors like to develop piston slap, but this one seems strong, it is just really dirty. It is covered in old oil and dirt from the top of the valve cover to the motor mounts, so I am asuming it was not taken care of that well. I was just curious what the 300 six crowd had to say. I have read that some go well into the 300k mile range, but what could I realistically expect out of this one? any thoughts here? I have never owned a 300 six before, but the 300 six with the 5 speed is very appealing to me, as I am looking for a good work truck that doesn't mind going no where over 50mph and likes to be driven a lot. Any and all comments are welcome, please no negative ones. haha.
What year? F150/250? Any mods, or is the engine/carb/ignition/fuel injection stock?
Generally these are excellent engines, they're just not as fast as V8's as they came from the factory. I have 235K on mine, and I'd take it anywhere on earth.
Give us more info.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:59 AM
parr4
Elder User
parr4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
the 300 is virtually bullet-proof given some sort of routine maintenance and not abused.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Third owner of my '94. Bought it when I was 16. I'm 21 now. My truck now has 220,000 miles.

I don't abuse it but I drive it hard.

Good engines. They're tough.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM
F-250 restorer
Post Fiend
F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.F-250 restorer has a good reputation on FTE.
Is it burning oil? How much?

Do a compression test, and that will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
Was gonna say the same as F-250. Do a compression test.
When I got mine, it was like yours. COVERED in oil, grime, gunk, you name it. It was poorly taken care of and had most every under the hood back yard fix you can think of. Cracked gaskets, open vacuum lines. No idea how many miles are on it, but it's an 81, so it's going on 30 years old. After working on it a couple years, I've cleaned it up and put a few performance parts on it. It still has almost perfect compression, idles great, and has about 19lbs vacuum at idle. It's never been rebuilt and is still almost like it's new.

Grime and oil simply could be a leaking valve cover, which is known to happen.

I'm assuming that since it has a 5 speed, that it's fuel injected?

Not that it can't, but if you don't plan on going over 50 much, you've found the perfect engine for your needs. Although, you don't need a 5 speed for that.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
On average the 300 Inline 6 has been known to go 300,000 to 400,000 miles, if well maintained, before needing any series work.
So, is the 300 I-6 reliable, yes I'd state so.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
59flatbedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
as long as it seems strong i wouldn't worry about. one i know of was a ranch truck, then we put a brick on the gas pedal and tried to blow it up then after that we ran it in a tough truck competition then we hauled scrap iron for a summer in it and its still running (it smokes to beat h ll but it still runs). As long as it doesn't use oil it should be fine for a long time.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
rikard
Posting Guru
rikard is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have driven two 300s past 200k miles without any major mechanical issues. These were commuter trucks that did occasional hauling and towing. Many of the UPS 300 siixes would go 300k before rebuild. A compression test and close look at the spark plugs should reveal any bad problems. Biggest issue on a high mile 300 is oil leaks from the rear main seal or pan and low oil pressure.
regards
rikard

Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 PM
court1100f
Elder User
court1100f is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.court1100f is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the 1987 F150 in my sig has a 300 with 475,000 original miles on it,with no rebuild. add to that the fact it's had an extremely difficult life,Further add to that the fact it had damn near factory compression as verified by about 4 different professional ASE Certified mechanics. And to answer the reliability question these engines are damn near impossible to kill. Mine thanks to the wife got overheated on average twice a day sometimes more often for a while, think it was the radiator(Don't remember this was well over a decade ago) and no ill effects what so ever I drove it like a Corvette Still no negative effects that were noticeable and I bought it with roughly 390,000 miles on it in 95 when it was 9 years old.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
big-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant futurebig-ugly has a brilliant future
Thank you all so much for these comments! I didn't expect to get this much feed-back, haha. The motor seems to run real strong and doesn't miss a beat, so I am not really scared of the amount of miles for the engine's sake, more for the suspension parts... I am glad to hear that there are so many believers in this motor. The truck is a 1992 f150 4x2 custom. Bone stock.

No this truck would not be going over 50 very often, although I do have to drive about 5 miles through town before I begin my commute back to God's country. This is why the 300 six with 5 speed tranny is a really appealing combination to me. It will be seing some town driving, but mostly country roads and some light pulling once in a while, like an irrigation pipe trailer or such.

Now all I gotta do is get a car sold and I think I am gonna be bringing home a "new" truck. I will let you all know how it turns out, but it may be a couple weeks, seeing as I HAVE to sell this curse of a car first.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
also, I have heard that 300 six's are pretty simple to pull and work on if the need arises. My dad has been a ford man all his life, and has a degree in mechanics. He teaches me everything I know, aside from what I learn on my own, and he says that they are real simple if I wanted something to tool on and learn more about engines. (He is leaving it up to me if I get this vehicle or not, and won't really tell me if I should be excited for it or not). So I am trying to ditch one car I have so I have room for it. I just don't want to start dumping a lot of money into it, as I am only 18 and make minimum wage. Even if I did have to rebuild it at some point, I have read that they are relatively cheap as far as rebuilding goes. Is this true, or would it be just like any other small block I have owned that just isn't worth rebuilding when it goes? I would only rebuild it stock, just to keep the DD alive, without having to look for a new truck every 50k-100k miles.

p.s. The reason I want the 5 speed transmission is becuase no one else at our house could drive it then. (my parents are divorced and I live with my mom).

Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
So today I got my car sold, and when I went back to talk prices with the guy, he sold the truck just today. anyone got a 300 six with 5 speed f150 for sale near Beatrice Nebraska? :P

Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
octaneforce
Elder User
octaneforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
just keep an eye on whatever is for sale around you. check the paper, craigslist, ebay, and just look around. its not a rare motor to find in a truck. the manual tranny isnt terribly hard to find either.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 AM
flipklos
Posting Guru
flipklos is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Most chevy guys agree that the 300 is about as tough as it comes. Ive ran them without oil and coolant and they still run (Not intentional).

Look at they way they are built and you will know why. Essentialy a six cylinder big block it offers seven main bearings and deep skirting around them. With low compression and a beefy crank this engine will go for a long run. I have seen them with over 300k in service trucks. They will smoke a bit but run great.

This with a 5spd should even get you decent mileage. My current one gets 20 mpg steady.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300 six reliability ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.