6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Viper Remote Start Glow Plug ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
crap I was half way through the response and this jacked up site clicked me away to a pop up

I did not do the install DEI will not sell or warranty to a consumer ..

the programmer is just easier than trying to count chirps ETC

Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM
jetact
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good, tried to give a thumbs up but guess I need to spread the love. Thanks though

Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Oh yeah it scares me quite a bit lol, but that's why I've decided not to go with BestBuy for the install. The shop I plan on using is called Rogers Stereo. They really do know their stuff. They install several remote starts on a daily basis, so I'm sure they've done quite a few 6.0s. I'm definitely gonna give them the third degree and ask them all kinds of questions before I let them touch it. I'm definitely gonna make sure they know what they're doing as far as installing these things on diesels. But how easy is it to do by one's self? I've wired up several things on my truck, but definitely not something that complicated.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I can wire a lot of stuff also // but the 6.0 is not easy ,, and DEI will walk a tech through issues ,, just not you and I

make sure they are 6.0 savy and you will be fine

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Zmann
I can wire a lot of stuff also // but the 6.0 is not easy ,, and DEI will walk a tech through issues ,, just not you and I

make sure they are 6.0 savy and you will be fine
Will do. Thanks man.

And even if they do screw something up, one would think a new set of glow plugs would be on them...right?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
ps there are specific moduels for the different MFG installs .. but those need to be included in the install price .. our local Audio express does the installs for 1 cent .. so you can see why I let them start ,, then I go clean it all up

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For me it was $50 extra for the harness for a 6.0.

I love it. Like was said previously, make sure you get the 2.0 The 2.0 gives you back a message if your truck or vehicle received the command from your phone. The 1.0 model does not.

Went to the vikings game a week ago and was able to start it from inside the concourse and it was nice and warm when we got to it. One of the best purchases for my truck.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Speedjester
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was looking into getting a remote starter myself.. Local install place tells me they can and have wired into the Glow plug light directly.. So when the light goes out it fires up immediately

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 666 Likes on 426 Posts
The only way they can tap into the Wait to Start light would be to actually connect to the light contacts on the instrument cluster itself. There is no "wait to start" wire. The Wait to Start light is controlled by the PCM over the SCP bus to the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster)

Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Speedjester
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The guy pretty much said it would be wired and triggered by the Glow plug Light...Not sure I would want it that way seems to complicated... The other option he gave was a set delay on the module

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 666 Likes on 426 Posts
I would go with the delay. I really wouldn't want some guy wiring things into the very expensive cluster module.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I have had the smart start on my truck for a few months now and I'm still up in the air on it. I've had an slight issue with it since it really started to drop in the a.m. What happens is that my Iphone loses its ability to start or lock/unlock my truck. It will always work from my remote, but hell I never carry one. Thats why I choose the smart start. I believe the installer has a variety of options to delay starting, if the temps drop real low go for 30 secs or longer. My installer has installed plenty of these with zero issues(of course I gotta be the first) As stated before let a pro do it. Not Best Buy

Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sammy77
I have had the smart start on my truck for a few months now and I'm still up in the air on it. I've had an slight issue with it since it really started to drop in the a.m. What happens is that my Iphone loses its ability to start or lock/unlock my truck. It will always work from my remote, but hell I never carry one. Thats why I choose the smart start. I believe the installer has a variety of options to delay starting, if the temps drop real low go for 30 secs or longer. My installer has installed plenty of these with zero issues(of course I gotta be the first) As stated before let a pro do it. Not Best Buy
I usually keep my key in that little compartment to the right of the steering wheel, so I'll probably start keeping a remote on that. Reason being is because most viper/python systems have the turbo save option that you can engage by hitting the aux and start button at the same time right before you shut the engine off, that way when you pull the key out the truck will run for another minute or 2. I'll probably use that a lot.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Good idea on the turbo save

Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sammy77
Good idea on the turbo save
Yeah a friend of mine had an older viper remote start and I told him about the smartstart so now he's gonna get it, but somehow when we were looking at stuff on his system and somehow came across his user manual and the "Turbo Saver" writing caught my eye. His truck isn't a diesel but we tested it out and it worked. I'm not sure how long it will run or how you can change it though.

Quick Reply: Viper Remote Start Glow Plug ?