1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:55 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
You guys who are talking about the heat outside... notice the heater below the light switch on the wall... it snowed last weekend....

Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow! You have some ambitious plans. And good ones, as well. Are you changing the lighting also?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Wow! You have some ambitious plans. And good ones, as well. Are you changing the lighting also?
Most definitely changing the lighting! I got those fluorescent fixtures from CL about 10 years ago, they work well but I'd like additional lighting along the walls and in the corners.

Hey, do you know anything about building & fire codes? I'm removing 5/8" fire-block drywall, what if I wanted to cover the walls with inch-thick plywood? Could that be used instead of drywall? Or does it need to go on top of it?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The wall between garage and living space needs 5/8 firecode rock. (you can put the rock *over* plywood, but can not have a combustible wall)

The door needs to be UL listed and self closing.
Can't open out over the step.
Check your local codes to see if they go above and beyond the UBC.
Because some municipalities definitely want more.

I think 1" plywood is crazy overkill.
If you are just looking for something to hold screws anywhere OSB would save a lot of $.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 AM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
The wall between garage and living space needs 5/8 firecode rock. (you can put it over plywood)

The door needs to be UL listed and self closing.

I think 1" plywood is crazy overkill.
If you are just looking for something to hold screws anywhere OSB would save a lot of $.
Yep, yep, yep, and yep

Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 AM
ctubutis
What is OSB?

Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Oriented Strand Board (flake board) is half the price of plywood.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 AM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 719 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Most definitely changing the lighting! I got those fluorescent fixtures from CL about 10 years ago, they work well but I'd like additional lighting along the walls and in the corners.
Take a look at the new LED shop lighting. A friend redid his garage with them and he loves them. One huge advantage is no problems with cold weather when fluorescent tubes need to warm up.

I redid my garage lights with all new fluorescents about five years ago, before the LED versions were affordable. For now they work fine but I plan to upgrade to LED as these give out.

Watch out for the Kelvin rating. Some cheap ones are a super bright bluish in the 6k range. These are pretty harsh on the eyes. Look for a warm white in the 3k range for a more natural light.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yep on the sheetrock and OSB discussion.

And, on the lighting, Bill Vose is going with LED strips from Sam's. You might get his input.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:12 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
What I learned in CFI school, and quoted from my manuals.

From the International Building Code:
1 hour fire rated wall;
2″ × 4″ wood studs 16″ on center with two layers of 3/8″ regular gypsum
wallboard each side, 4d cooler or wallboard nails at 8″ on center first layer, 5d cooler or wallboard nails at 8″ on center second layer with laminating compound between layers, joints staggered. First layer applied full length vertically, second layer applied horizontally or vertically.
1 hour fire rated wall;
2″ × 4″ wood studs 16″ on center with two layers 1/2″ regular gypsum wallboard applied vertically or horizontally each side, joints staggered. Nail base layer with 5d cooler or wallboard nails at 8″ on center face layer with 8d cooler or wallboard nails at 8″ on center.
1 hour fire rated wall;
2″ × 4″ wood studs 24″ on center with 5/8″ Type X gypsum wallboard applied vertically or horizontally nailed with 6d cooler or wallboard nails at 7″ on center with end joints on nailing members. Stagger joints each side.
1 hour fire rated wall;
2″ × 4″ fire-retardant-treated wood studs spaced 24″ on center with one layer of 5/8″ Type X gypsum wallboard applied with face paper grain (long dimension) parallel to studs. Wallboard attached with 6d cooler or wallboard nails at 7″ on center.
2 hour fire rated wall;
2″ × 4″ wood studs 16″ on center with two layers 5/8″ Type X gypsum wallboard each side. Base layers applied vertically and nailed with 6d cooler or wallboard nails at 9″ on center. Face layer applied vertically or horizontally and nailed with 8d cooler or wallboard nails at 7″ on center. For nail-adhesive application, base layers are nailed 6″ on center. Face layers applied with coating of approved wallboard adhesive and nailed 12″ on center.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Installed new struts in the 07 Supercab 4x4, Easy job done in 2 hrs.
Ordered (for tomorrow) add-a-leafs for the '86 to bring up the rear @ 2"

Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,852 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I backed the truck out, heh.

The drywall was all busted up (had a boat parked in there at one time) and I want to insulate the bedroom floors above a lot better than they are now, and install a gas-fired heater for the garage in that top-left corner.

The other side of the wall is the kitchen, it's not going anywhere.

The truck needed a turn signal switch, I was able to find enough of my tools + spare parts (my entire garage is in my basement + two local storage lockers) to get that accomplished, this fixes the brake light/turn signal problems.
Oddly enough, that was a brand-new FoMoCo switch in there (bought over 5 years ago by now) but I destroyed it when I was messing around with different steering wheels and wore away/broke the emergency-flasher switch.

On the RH side (ceiling, still covered) is where I'm gonna feed RG6 & CAT5e cabling to the bedrooms above, this is something I've been wanting to do since I've had this house. I get **** here, I want everything to look like it came with the house and isn't a cheesey, aftermarket installation and so I want all the wiring hidden inside the walls, not outside (they all converge in the basement).

Also want to accommodate some sort of security cameras for the garage + front entryway, I can wire for that at the same time here.

Have to plumb to move the sink below the heater, too.

Oh, and the 220/240 for the air compressor, wood splitter, welder, whatever else.

Concrete will be later.
I got to ask why run CAT cable unless you are going to use it for something other than computer connections.
I say this because little over 10 years ago when I had the house in CT modeled I had 2 CAT cables run to all bed rooms (4), living room and 1 in the kitchen. Also had cable run to all the same rooms too.

Fast forward a few years after the remodel and Wi-Fi is getting better and guess what - yep we used Wi-Fi over CAT.
I was in I.T. at the time so I had a patch panel in the basement to tie in the rooms to the network switch.
In the end I used 1 of the 2nd floor bed rooms CAT to tie in a Wi-Fi extender to cover dead areas the "box" did not cover.

My house here in NC is only Wi-Fi. Could use and extender so I have Wi-Fi in my garage when working to stream music.
Dave ----

Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I agree, Dave. I stream movies all the time via wifi. Create web sites via wifi, upload pics to this forum via wifi. Etc.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Wi-fi is better than it has ever been, but you cannot beat the consistency and reliability of a physical connection. I don't know that I would go to the trouble of wiring an entire house these days, but for peripheral areas that may not get the strongest signal (such as basements or garages) I think running a line makes sense.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 AM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Dorsai
Wi-fi is better than it has ever been, but you cannot beat the consistency and reliability of a physical connection. I don't know that I would go to the trouble of wiring an entire house these days, but for peripheral areas that may not get the strongest signal (such as basements or garages) I think running a line makes sense.
Bingo.

I was gonna reply to Fuzzy's query real quick but you said it - wireless is an unreliable technology although convenient at times. But hardwired connections still offer better throughput than even today's 802.11ac stuff and so that's what I'm doing.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?