Notices

Gord's Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
FLCrackerTracker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gord's Polish?

Well since this truck is new to me...and getting to know her....decided to take a better "look" at the rims.
They're aluminum, and after giving them a good washing...they still have that "brushed" look, and certainly not polished. For years I have used Mothers aluminum mag polish...and it's always performed well.
Gave it a go....rag darkened up... let it haze up/dry. Hit it with a micro fiber towel...and to be honest...was not impressed with the amount of elbow it took.
SO...thought this was going to be "too big" of a job....wet-sand to the smoothest i can get it. ... then buffing/polishing...ect.
I figured there has to be an easier way...so to the net I went.
Stumbled into a product called Gord's Aluminum & Chrome Cleaner. Watched the vid...looked "too easy" but read a bunch of reviews that stated it was "the stuff". It's pretty inexpensive...so I figured what the heck. Ordered 24oz.
Got it this evening, and figured I would hit the spare on the back of the Bronco. I'm impressed....and can't wait to get all of the rims done now. This test spot took me 5 min with a shop rag, and an old "sink scrub pad". I used very little effort... I just allowed the product to "seat", and lightly "washed" the polished area in the pic.
This was shot with the cell... so it does not do the shine "justice".
I did a search here before I posted...and had no results .
When I can get some "lift time" at my buddies shop I will be hitting all 4.
tomorrow...I will be hitting up the rest of the spare.

Gord's Aluminum & Chrome, Cleaner, Polish, & Sealer

Old 10-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Martika 7.3
Senior User
Smile

Originally Posted by FLCrackerTracker
Well since this truck is new to me...and getting to know her....decided to take a better "look" at the rims.
They're aluminum, and after giving them a good washing...they still have that "brushed" look, and certainly not polished. For years I have used Mothers aluminum mag polish...and it's always performed well.
Gave it a go....rag darkened up... let it haze up/dry. Hit it with a micro fiber towel...and to be honest...was not impressed with the amount of elbow it took.
SO...thought this was going to be "too big" of a job....wet-sand to the smoothest i can get it. ... then buffing/polishing...ect.
I figured there has to be an easier way...so to the net I went.
Stumbled into a product called Gord's Aluminum & Chrome Cleaner. Watched the vid...looked "too easy" but read a bunch of reviews that stated it was "the stuff". It's pretty inexpensive...so I figured what the heck. Ordered 24oz.
Got it this evening, and figured I would hit the spare on the back of the Bronco. I'm impressed....and can't wait to get all of the rims done now. This test spot took me 5 min with a shop rag, and an old "sink scrub pad". I used very little effort... I just allowed the product to "seat", and lightly "washed" the polished area in the pic.
This was shot with the cell... so it does not do the shine "justice".
I did a search here before I posted...and had no results .
When I can get some "lift time" at my buddies shop I will be hitting all 4.
tomorrow...I will be hitting up the rest of the spare.

Gord's Aluminum & Chrome, Cleaner, Polish, & Sealer
Looks, Like some good stuff! I might have to order some! Cause I take about a whole day to clean my truck! I think this will cut down on the rims alot. Especially after I get my new rims Installed!!! Thanks Fl Cracker....

Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
FLCrackerTracker
Junior User
Originally Posted by Martika 7.3
Looks, Like some good stuff! I might have to order some! Cause I take about a whole day to clean my truck! I think this will cut down on the rims alot. Especially after I get my new rims Installed!!! Thanks Fl Cracker....
I am going to tinker with the stuff a bit more...and see what the easiest and shortest method is to a polished finish is. I have a powerball here, some scotchbrite, steel wool, and a few polishing pads for my orbital.
When I get some passes done...and before and after pics...I will post up my easiest method.
Removing the rim off of the truck is going to be the best way, that's for sure. Will report back with the details.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Martika 7.3
Senior User
I am going to tinker with the stuff a bit more...and see what the easiest and shortest method is to a polished finish is. I have a powerball here, some scotchbrite, steel wool, and a few polishing pads for my orbital.
When I get some passes done...and before and after pics...I will post up my easiest method.
Removing the rim off of the truck is going to be the best way, that's for sure. Will report back with the details.

Thanks !! Greatly appreciated! Anything to cut down on cleaning and polishing the rims is a help!! I have the Mothers Ball also and it works real well. But sometimes I have to use the Mr. Clean Magic eraser!! You would be suprised how clean it gets them!!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM
FLCrackerTracker
Junior User
Well, had "one of those day's" yesterday.
Started out with estimating "30 min per rim" timeframe to get these polished out.
Got started...got the driver front off the truck...washed up, and dried off...and I start hearing a "Creak" from under the truck. Seems my floor jack decided to quit working. My backup jack...and stands are over a buddies place. I screwed around with the jack...and not sure what the deal is with it. No answer from my buddy...so long story short...got a new jack.
Started using the Gord's polish...and I will tell ya... that the product video makes this entire process...look much easier than it actually is.
Now I know these are the front rims on the truck...and were all familiar with the fact that the front's load up with brake dust...ect...more than the rears.
Long story short... I had about 45 min to an hour into getting that rim where I felt that it looked good.
I used a power ball... steel wool to apply the polish, and shop rags.
Overall I am happy with the finish...and the rim looks much better...but as far as Gord's being "wipe on...wipe off" is far from that easy.
I got a variety of polishing pads from harbor freight yesterday...and will see if that makes the job somewhat easier.
Here is the before/after front driver rim that I did yesterday. I hope that the pads that I picked up from Harbor Freight make this job much easier.
I also used some mothers mag and rim polish, but it did not make the job any easier...or polish the aluminum any better than the Gord's.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Martika 7.3
Senior User
Smile

Well, had "one of those day's" yesterday.
Started out with estimating "30 min per rim" timeframe to get these polished out.
Got started...got the driver front off the truck...washed up, and dried off...and I start hearing a "Creak" from under the truck. Seems my floor jack decided to quit working. My backup jack...and stands are over a buddies place. I screwed around with the jack...and not sure what the deal is with it. No answer from my buddy...so long story short...got a new jack.
Started using the Gord's polish...and I will tell ya... that the product video makes this entire process...look much easier than it actually is.
Now I know these are the front rims on the truck...and were all familiar with the fact that the front's load up with brake dust...ect...more than the rears.
Long story short... I had about 45 min to an hour into getting that rim where I felt that it looked good.
I used a power ball... steel wool to apply the polish, and shop rags.
Overall I am happy with the finish...and the rim looks much better...but as far as Gord's being "wipe on...wipe off" is far from that easy.
I got a variety of polishing pads from harbor freight yesterday...and will see if that makes the job somewhat easier.
Here is the before/after front driver rim that I did yesterday. I hope that the pads that I picked up from Harbor Freight make this job much easier.
I also used some mothers mag and rim polish, but it did not make the job any easier...or polish the aluminum any better than the Gord's.

It Looks Great!! Huge Diffrence! Have you tried Gojo & Mr. Clean Magic eraser! The gojo Will Give you the same result! And with less time! And The Mr. Clean Is awsome on Brake dust And minor scratches! I have a Navigator that is white, And I use it every where! Leaves it spotless! I don't recommend it on a dark colored vehicle! But for the rims and grill, Absolutely!! Thanks For your update!! See you at the G2G?