1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Dad's Valve Covers

I realize this was covered to some extent in Dad's Truck Build. However, I want to revisit it and include a wider audience. And, waaaay at the bottom of this there's a question for y'all.

For those who weren't involved in that discussion, I bought some used die-cast aluminum valve covers that needed a bit of TLC. This pic doesn't really show the extent of the corrosion:

So, I did some work on them as well as the to-be air cleaner lid, and the plan was to finish them shiny, paint the lines and lettering in the covers high-heat black, sand any excess off, and powder coat them clear. Here's a picture of one of the covers and the lid after a bit of polishing but before the black paint and powder coating:

Well, today I started working on them to prepare for the paint and powder coating. So I sprayed the top of one of them black and started sanding it off, expecting the black to be left in the recesses. But, I soon discovered that the lines and letters aren't distinct and the black looked like eyeliner that had smeared. In this shot notice how the line on the top gets larger in the middle and the M of motorsports is blurred:

Here's a closeup of the M. See how the black extends across the whole letter? That's because the lands aren't raised high enough to be hit by the sandpaper.

Well after a LOT of sanding, and I mean a LOT of sanding I brought the whole top of the valve cover down to meet the lands in the letters:

But, as I was sanding the next coat of black off of the top I realized that the outside edges were distinct as well, and I kinda liked the look. So I sprayed one all black and sanded the top off:

Here's another angle on that, but the idea is that I would powder coat the whole cover black, then sand the top back to a brushed aluminum look, and powder coat the whole thing clear.

What do you think?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Chris Guthro
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool!! Nice job on the valve covers, I priced a set of these at my dealer for my 460 and at $340 they can keep em haha

Old 12-06-2013, 08:04 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks pretty cool. I wonder how all that will shake out in the oven. I know the paint is supposed to be good for way hotter than 400°, but how will the powder do on top of it? I do like them?

Are you free tomorrow for some PC'n?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Thanks, Chris. But I did a poor job of asking the question. I'm really looking for your thoughts as to which way to go - the shiny aluminum look all over or the black and brushed-aluminum look on top? Or, something else?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I think the black & silver look good, that's an idea I doubt I'd have thought of... this reminds me of painting the speedometer faces, doing the lettering was a rather intricate job I did with a lighted magnifier and some super-fine brushes. For what you ran into, I'd have first tried a wire brush on a rotary tool, that's the first thing to come to mind....

Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Bruno - I can PC tomorrow, but a shorter day? What time? And, we may need more brake cleaner as I'm down to 3 cans I think.

As for the paint, I thought I'd try to get the old paint out with paint stripper. Or maybe walnut hulls in the blast cabinet? Then just PC them black and sand it off of the top. I hope. Probably ought to practice on something first. Anyway, you like the look?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Can you do a crinkly-black PC finish?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I like both looks . I do prefer the polished look better though . Just my 2cents !

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
Can you do a crinkly-black PC finish?
Maybe. Hopefully. I did it accidentally on the spacers for the console by placing the parts in a pre-heated oven. The powder must not have gotten up to temp before the time was up and I let them cool as it didn't flow. And, it got HARD - so hard that when I tried to blast it off it would NOT come off, so I'm not sure how it would sand. That's the part I need to work on.

Originally Posted by JWC 3
I like both looks . I do prefer the polished look better though . Just my 2cents !
Thanks for the input. I like the polished look as well, but truth be told the clear powder will put a satin sheen on it so it won't be as shiny as it is in the pic.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:57 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I have to set a job up in the morning, but the start time is 9 AM and I have to do all the running around before that. So it may be 11 before I am there. Then again I don't have anywhere near as many pieces to do either.

I really do like the look. I was asking questions about the what if's because the PC is a chore to get off if it goes terribly wrong.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If I didn't care to do a wrinkle black I could just use my high-heat black spray paint as it would sand much easier than powder. But, it also isn't as durable as powder. I need to try to replicate the effect I got on the spacers and then see if I can sand it. Maybe we'll try that tomorrow.

Ok folks, keep those opinions and ideas rolling in.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 PM
FordPUMan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me the black and brushed aluminum really stands out. Painting the sides seems to bring out the lettering more.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by FordPUMan
To me the black and brushed aluminum really stands out. Painting the sides seems to bring out the lettering more.
Thanks. I think you have a point there.

All - As I think about it I don't think I want to do a wrinkle finish on the valve covers if I don't do it on the air cleaner bottom. This pieces will be in close proximity and I think they will look best with the same color and texture. And, since the air cleaner came from Ford in smooth black it has been my plan to put it back that way.

However, if you think otherwise pray tell.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Gary, thanks for pointing out this thread to me. I think you stumbled across a rather unique look with the black sides and shaved top. I really like it, and I think it has more "going on" than if you just did shiny all over.

Of course, in my mind I am kind of thinking of a black engine since that is what mine is. If yours is going to be blue, the black covers might clash. Or they might not. Something to think about.

I'm not sure the durability of the paint would be much of an issue, if you are going to PC the whole thing clear afterwards (does powder coat stick to paint?). I might worry about paint adhesion on smooth aluminum, but you could blast it first. The top is getting sanded/polished later anyway so it won't matter if the blasting dulls the top to begin with.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:09 PM
bruno2
Postmaster
I don't see how the powder would stick unless the current will go through the paint. Wouldn't that be the same as having a powder coated hanger wire on the rack with a part hanging from it?

Are you going to do the breather cap the same way? Black on the sides and polished on the top?

Quick Reply: Dad's Valve Covers