1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pleasant Morning--Throttle Stuck Wide Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Pleasant Morning--Throttle Stuck Wide Open

Beautiful morning. Why not drive my truck. Cruising down the road to work and the throttle stuck open. Nothing like "giving it gas" by shutting the motor off and back on until you can find a wide spot in the road. The little bar between the throttle linkage and the throttle piston/plunger (or whatever it's called) came out of the hole. Apparently the brad or whatever was holding it in place broke off. I got it stuck back in there and it made it about another 3 miles before same thing happened again. I coasted into work. Where can I get this linkage in a hurry. It's a 49 F1 with original 2 barrel carb. The pic shows the bar out of its slot on the linkage. It obviously was in the #2 hole. It's pretty worn. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Mine is similar but hasn't popped out yet -- good heads-up!!

There should be a groove on the inside edge of the rod that goes thru the holes in the throttle plate, for a E-clip. I've also seen some that were drilled for a cotter pin. Either way, you'll have to remove the carb to get one in.

Is the bar completely flat or does it have a noticeable offset in it? Unfortunately there are about 3 style of that piece. Vintage Speed will have some, or you might try PMing "1952" on here, he does a lot of Holley 94 work.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I took needle nose pliers and bent the flat arm toward the carb. The three holes are for: left - summer, right - winter and middle - inbetween.

You can move it to one of the other holes - it just affects the amount of plunger travel on the accel pump.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the advice. For the most part it's flat, but it does have a slight noticeable taper on both ends where it connects on both ends. The other end is very worn as well. Not a bad thing to check if I were you guys. That got exciting there for a second or two this morning. Nothing like a Monday morning wake up call.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mtflat
I took needle nose pliers and bent the flat arm toward the carb. The three holes are for: left - summer, right - winter and middle - inbetween.

You can move it to one of the other holes - it just affects the amount of plunger travel on the accel pump.
Yeah I had thought of that. If I give it a slight bend, it will be more apt to stay put until I get home. Thanks for the advice. I called Vintage Speed, they must be gone to a show. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM
52 F3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The top of it where it goes in the accel plunger has a groove around it and a spring loaded detent ball in the plunger holds it in place. If it is shaped right it can not come out of the bottom hole unless you pull the top out. This lets you pull it out to change settings. Just make sure it is bent to the proper shape and it should stay in place.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I don't think mine is bent at all. But the top connection with the plunger is obviously very loose as well. I can't see it very well, but there is definitely no tension from a spring like you guys are describing. My guess is that gave the bottom enough room to slip out of that hole. I'm striking out on finding this part so far. Tried Vintage Speed and they must be gone to a show or something. Called a few more places with no luck. I sent "1952" a PM as recommended above. If anybody else has a dealer in mind, let me know. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I finally got in touch with Charlie Price at Vintage Speed (thanks for the recommendation Ross). Really nice guy. He's sending that link to me. He said that he couldn't get those for years. Then got a screw machine and made the pins and had somebody else stamp out the links themselves. He said as far as he knows, he's the only one out there selling this piece right now. He said it is amazing how many of these he sells. Very common piece to wear out and pop out of position. I just wish mine hadn't popped out while I had my foot in the gas this morning. So FYI for others in the future. Grab hold of it with your fingers. If it's loose, I'd get me one before you need another pair of underwear (almost) like me this morning.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 F3
The top of it where it goes in the accel plunger has a groove around it and a spring loaded detent ball in the plunger holds it in place. If it is shaped right it can not come out of the bottom hole unless you pull the top out. This lets you pull it out to change settings. Just make sure it is bent to the proper shape and it should stay in place.
None of mine are like that, but they are also 2110's. It makes sense tho, otherwise it would be an ordeal to change settings.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone mentioned the link in question having a slot for a pin or clip. Not so on the older carburetors, model EAB (52-53) and older, I can't speak on the EBU model, but the mid-50s Holleys had them.

Secondly, keep in mind there have been different links. Some later ones have a longer shoulder area before it necks down to snap into the accelerator pump plunger. If you have one of these on an older carburetor, you may have alignment problems.

Thirdly, the pin on the end that engages the throttle cam has to be carefully looked at. As mentioned, it could be severely worn, which could allow it to pop out. You will see the hole on the throttle cam worn, but that can be fixed if you remove the cam/shaft. I use a ball pein hammer and attack the cam from the backside. The metal is quite soft, and with care you can close the hole back up, then "round" it with a drill. I usually have the cam removed from the shaft at this point. If you can move the cam without moving the link, you have wear.

I'm guessing there was some wear, as this allows the link to "pivot" a bit, sometimes enough to slip out. Especially when combined with a weak ball/spring in the accelerator pump plunger. I've run into the occassional acc pump plunger that allows this movement.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
1952 is right. Guys listen, the pins on mine were very worn and I imagine the hole in the plunger is worn as well. The link body itself is straight and not bent. The worn pins allowed mine to turn sideways and the bottom pin slipped out. Check it or you might be sorry if you don't. I've got an urgent meeting scheduled with the top Ford brass in the morning to start the process for a full recall on this.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok tell the truth....when the throttle stuck open did the seat get wet?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
LOL. No I kept it dry! A tired old flathead gives you plenty of time to react. But it did indeed get my attention for a few seconds. Funny thing is I had just pulled out of an old country gas station after stopping to admire a 1951 F1 sitting at the gas pumps. I had just finished bragging on how well my truck was running when BAM here goes the roller coaster.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:22 AM
blsd49
More Turbo

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Mountaindoc, so the moral of the story is not to brag!? What is the fun in that? LOL !
I am going to check my linkage tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:02 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Ya know, if you hadn't been showing off with your foot on the floor, the link couldn't have gotten jammed under the throttle cam

It always happens like that - fortunately you kept your head and handled the emergency situation safely. Way to go!