1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Shock question (mundane)...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 02:39 PM
rbond
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shock question (mundane)...

... are the stock shocks the same spec for front and rear? Depending on load, I could imagine they'd be different. Fronts are a bit rusty... the rears are Motorcraft.

... too much rust?

I'm asking cuz, first, I want to learn... and second, I'm at RockAuto shopping and the choices have me rolling dice. (anyone using Gabriels?)

Non lifted, 86 F350 (460) Manual 4x4 Dana 60 w/single rear wheels. Looking to keep it stock... unless someone insists there's a better way to go

Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If you are shopping, and they use the same part number front and rear, then they are the same. If they keep spec'ing different part numbers for the front and the rear, then they are different. That is a good way to figure out what interchanges on vehicles.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll offer warning not to buy Tenneco products, that is Monroe and Rancho. They have quality control issues and do not stand behind their product, their warranty is worthless. As much as it pains me to refer you to the site run by crooked thugs, have a look at my post over at Oilburners. Broken shock mount, anyone have this happen? | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net

I ended up replacing the crappy Monroe shocks with Bilstein and couldn't be happier with the quality and performance. Even spoke to their tech line briefly and they were knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 AM
rbond
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you are shopping, and they use the same part number front and rear, then they are the same. If they keep spec'ing different part numbers for the front and the rear, then they are different. That is a good way to figure out what interchanges on vehicles.
Thx, Dave... re-visiting my post, I realize my question wasn't that clear... as I was really trying to find out what the difference is between the spec for the front vs. rear shocks. Is it just a physical difference (i.e.. length, mount type) or is there a "compression" specification that is different? The front has to deal with steering torque and engine weight, while the back deals with a variety of conditions based on the bed load.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:38 AM
rbond
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cadunkle
I'll offer warning not to buy Tenneco products, that is Monroe and Rancho. They have quality control issues and do not stand behind their product, their warranty is worthless. As much as it pains me to refer you to the site run by crooked thugs, have a look at my post over at Oilburners. Broken shock mount, anyone have this happen? | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net

I ended up replacing the crappy Monroe shocks with Bilstein and couldn't be happier with the quality and performance. Even spoke to their tech line briefly and they were knowledgeable and helpful.
Were you suspect that the Monroe was the reason for the break?

I was thinking Bilsteins as well... thx for the recommendation

Old 03-31-2017, 07:52 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
It was absolutely a defect in that shock. I suspect some junk internally plugging up the valving such that it would operate through the range on the bench but on the vehicle it would occasionally plug and lock the shock.

Tenneco / Monroe / Rancho stiffed me on the warranty, not living up to their own terms. Shady company with poor customer service and loose quality control.