6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Wind Noise/Vibration @ Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Wind Noise/Vibration @ Highway Speeds

Since day one my 2016 F250 occasionally has a reed sounding vibration at highways speeds near the passenger side occupant handle on the windshield pillar. Talked to a service advisor at the dealer about it and they didn't have any idea what it could be, so this must not be a common problem . The issue is intermittent and can not be reproduced on demand. I tried blowing compressed air all around the area of the Windshield to see if I could reproduce the sound in a shop setting, but no luck. Only thing in common with this noise is 75+ MPH during a rather windy day.

I'm a little reluctant to drop it off at the dealer since intermittent problems are hard to diagnose.

Hoping someone has experienced this with their truck and found a solution.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FTE's own EpicCowlick did this Door Seal Mod on his old SD to cut down on wind noise and ratltling

Have a look at his YT video may be an idea you want to try or inspire you to try something different

Old 03-25-2017, 03:29 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
That's a nice trick for sealing doors. However I'm fairly sure this is not a door seal making the noise. I could be wrong, I haven't sat in the passenger seat to try and pinpoint the location. The wife says it's coming from the handle area which also vibrates when the sound emits. Suppose I could rule out the door seals by adding the tubing.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I rarely will say anything in absolution, but I'm 99.9% it is absolutely your door seals. Had that with my first 2011 and at just before I traded it in on my 2015 my last 2011 truck started to do that. The door seal mod will fix it.

It only does it intermittant because of how the wind in the area hits the truck... Minecame from the same area. It as funny when it first did it with the salesman in the car he thought the antenna was making that sound.

I have heard that sound many times and it's always been the door seals.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:07 PM
MAD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what size tubing is used for the door seal mod.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MAD
what size tubing is used for the door seal mod.
Check the 6.7L tech folder for the door mod info.

Is this the correct tubing?

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-25-2017, 10:52 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The surgical type tubing used here is 3/8th inch outer diameter. 1/16th inch wall thickness

Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 924 Likes on 331 Posts
I had this in my 2011. ended up being the windshield. My 2016 does it very slightly, but not nearly as loud as my 2011. I had already done the door seal mod, and everything else I could think of to no avail. Wasn't planning on replacement to fix the problem, but had a crack, and was pleasantly surprised that it was finally fixed. The "reed" sound I believe is coming from air getting under the rubber seal around the windshield. You could test this by getting some clear packing tape, and start sealing around that side of the windshield temporarily to try to isolate the location. windshield tech said that the seal looked like there was a cavity on the passenger side. I noticed it getting a lot worse, when I started using rain-x windshield washer fluid in the winter. I think that stuff made all the rubber that much more slippery, making the problem worse.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,632 Likes on 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
I had this in my 2011. ended up being the windshield. My 2016 does it very slightly, but not nearly as loud as my 2011. I had already done the door seal mod, and everything else I could think of to no avail. Wasn't planning on replacement to fix the problem, but had a crack, and was pleasantly surprised that it was finally fixed. The "reed" sound I believe is coming from air getting under the rubber seal around the windshield. You could test this by getting some clear packing tape, and start sealing around that side of the windshield temporarily to try to isolate the location. windshield tech said that the seal looked like there was a cavity on the passenger side. I noticed it getting a lot worse, when I started using rain-x windshield washer fluid in the winter. I think that stuff made all the rubber that much more slippery, making the problem worse.
I had the same issue with my 2011!! Windshield was NOT sealed! I had a friend that owned an autobody/autoglass shop and took him for a ride. He nailed it right away!! He removed the windshield, cleaned things up a bit, and then re-installed the windshield...........VOILA!!!!!!!!! Problem solved!!!
Good luck with yours!!

Old 03-26-2017, 12:12 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Thanks for the replies everyone. My original thought was the windshield was not sealed correctly from the factory in that area.

I've witnessed many windshield installs over the years and thought how could there be an air bubble in the urethane adhesive? The installers use a thick bead of urethane around the entire edge of the windshield and then press the windshield into place which effectively flattens the bead and creates a watertight seal.

It's possible the robots at the factory don't apply as much urethane or don't apply as much force during installation as a human installer would.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM
slorider
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99150
I had the same issue with my 2011!! Windshield was NOT sealed!
Same noise started with my 2011 about a year ago, except on the drivers side. Put a strip of tape along the edge and the haven't heard the noise since. Tape is still there, although going to inject some silicone under the seal which I hope will be a permanent fix.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:41 PM
ORO
New User
Did you get this solved?

Originally Posted by dirthawg
Since day one my 2016 F250 occasionally has a reed sounding vibration at highways speeds near the passenger side occupant handle on the windshield pillar. Talked to a service advisor at the dealer about it and they didn't have any idea what it could be, so this must not be a common problem . The issue is intermittent and can not be reproduced on demand. I tried blowing compressed air all around the area of the Windshield to see if I could reproduce the sound in a shop setting, but no luck. Only thing in common with this noise is 75+ MPH during a rather windy day.

I'm a little reluctant to drop it off at the dealer since intermittent problems are hard to diagnose.

Hoping someone has experienced this with their truck and found a solution.

https://youtu.be/eqRtZwxU6vI

did you get this solved? I have the same noise on my 2015

Old 10-21-2017, 04:50 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ORO
did you get this solved? I have the same noise on my 2015
I have not. It very rarely makes the noise and have mostly forgot about it. If it gets worse I plan to have the windshield pulled and resealed.