1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Trailer brake module fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Zebo143
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer brake module default. Check brakes

Originally Posted by BillTSD
2010 F250 Lariat, cab and a half, PSD. 5600 miles.

Sunday I started the pickup and received "trailer brake module fault" in the message center. I wasn't pulling so wasn't too concerned - hit the reset and continued on.

Sunday night I started the pickup again and received the same message followed by "check brake system". I also lost illuminated gear selection, the traction control active symbol was displayed and the traction control "off" (PB) was illuminated. After several attempts it reset, everything returned to normal and I was able to get home without incident.

Monday morning it wouldn't start. It indicated "trailer brake module fault", "check brake system", traction control active and off, no gear indication, the odometer indicated "-------" and it did not react to the key in the start position.

I scheduled a service appointment.

Tuesday morning I attempted to start and it was the same as the previous attempt. I noticed that the theft prevention appeared active (flashing) so I removed the key, locked the doors, unlocked the doors, tried again - no joy.
I kept trying while holding my mouth in different positions and finally by the grace of God it fired. I delivered it to the dealer.

The dealer called yesterday afternoon and reported that everything is a result of a bad trailer brake module. The new one is to arrive today, they will install and everything will be peachy.

I asked if they could just unplug it and reprogram the truck to believe it never had one - the service writer said it can't be done, different piece parts on trucks with or without trailer brakes.

I really have no choice but to push the "I believe" button and carry on but I am slightly concerned. The fact that the trailer brake module can cause catastrophic failure doesn't seem too cool, I don't have a real warm and fuzzy feeling associated with venturing far from pavement, reliable communication or alternative transportation.

I'll post up the results of the repair and any additional information provided by the dealer.

In the meantime I suggest that no one take "trailer brake module failure" lightly.

-Bill
I had same problem. With my 2008 f350. Just about drove me crazy. I found the power cable that bolts to the top of the drivers side battery loose. Tighten it and problem solve. Z

Last edited by Zebo143; 05-11-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Cable runs to main fuse box under hood
Old 01-26-2017, 01:03 PM
sno-dust
New User
I had a "trailer brake module fault" on my 2008 F-350,gas.When pluged into my buddys snap-on code reader it would not communicate with the module.Broke? I removed module,unpluged the fault code still showed up.I disassembled the module,Its broken right,cant mess that up,figured I would take a look before ordering a new one.The ribbon cable to the display was unpluged/loose.I dont know if I did that taking it apart.Nothing obviously burnt on boards,pluged in ribbon cable and reassembled module.Reinstalled module,fault gone.Everything working normally.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:59 PM
Todd Bonney
New User
I know this is an older post but just had this happen to me. I was able to pull the 30amp fuse under the hood that controls the trailer brake control module and final start my truck. I guss I need to buy a new module. I wish I had found thisnpost before a spent hours trying to strart my truck. Good information. Thanks